Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Burning XP Service Pack2 to a CD

by dungarvon / May 2, 2006 11:15 AM PDT

It was suggested to me in a reply to my XP Home Service Pack 2 post from last week that I should burn SP2 to a CD.
How would I do that?
I've burned music and pictures to CD's but, I've never burned a program(if that's what SP2 is considered?) before.
Would I basically do the same thing to burn a program as I do for music and pictures?
I think I've located where the SP2 program is on my computer. I clicked on local disk, opened the windows folder and saw a folder titled Service Pac. I assume that's SP2?
It's 410MB in size.
I use Nero Ultra Edition 6 for any burning.
Any tips are appreciated.
Thanks to all who gave replies to my post last week.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Burning XP Service Pack2 to a CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Burning XP Service Pack2 to a CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wait a minute...
by nsaktihnanner / May 2, 2006 1:20 PM PDT

No, you don't want to burn the 410MB worth of files. The full Network Installation Package (266MB) which can be downloaded as a single file directly from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Yes, you burn this file as DATA to the CD. It's not music, is it?

If you are feeling up to it you may also want to check out slipstreaming SP2 to your XP installation and burning that to a CD so that the next time you reformat and install XP you automatically have SP2 installed.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

Collapse -
To Falcon1986
by Themisive / May 10, 2006 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Wait a minute...

With regard to "Slipstreaming" SP2 to and XP SP1 disk it just ain't worth it,I sent off for - and received a copy of SP2 direct from MS, my XP Home Edition already has SP1 on it!

I am in the process of making a set of downloads all burnable, that will take over from the SP2 and save me from having to log on the 'net! Needless to say they will take up most of the space available on a DVD-R disk.

Really, all you need to do is just keep the original O/S disk, get the SP2 disk and make a copy of the various downloads. It's much cheaper - and as I have already stated, I am not a fan of "slipstreaming".

Collapse -
What is Slipstreaming?
by TerryT / May 12, 2006 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Wait a minute...

Sorry, but I don't qualify as an elder geek. I plead guilty only to the elder part.

What is slipstreaming, how is it done, when, and why?

Collapse -
slipstreaming
by linkit / May 12, 2006 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: What is Slipstreaming?
Collapse -
Thanks!
by TerryT / May 13, 2006 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: slipstreaming

As a boat racing enthusiast, I am familiar with "slistream" regarding wind and currents. But in the computer usage relevant to this discussion, I'm an old dog who enjoys learning new tricks.

For my small consulting firm, Windows Update did the job. But but I sure see the value when many PCs must be updated.

And, when I have a little time, I will try out the procedure in...

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1626

to create a just-in-case Windows SP2 backup. Too bad it still won't include the zillions of security updates.

Collapse -
I Believe MS's Free CD Version of SP2 Is Still Available....
by tobeach / May 2, 2006 3:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
CD may still be available for SP2

You pay for the shipping if it is and microsoft will sent it to you via snail mail. It has this for more information about Windows XP Service Pack 2, go to www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2 If you have a friend who has it, It says share it with a friend. Darrell L.
I wonder if Nero would pickup on it being copywrited and in some cases does burn it anyway.

Collapse -
may not work with CD-R
by DarCLew2 / May 2, 2006 3:53 PM PDT

CD-R is only 700 MB but the available space required for SP2, according to the case it came in states this is the requirements for it: Windows XP, 233 Mhz Processor, 64 MB of RAM and 900 MB of available [200MB short of a CD-R] of available hard disk drive space during installation. It is about 500 MB on the CD, you may have found your SP2.

Collapse -
You're sure?
by nsaktihnanner / May 3, 2006 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: may not work with CD-R

Those are the requirements for INSTALLATION, not to burn onto a CD. SP2 would not occupy even 500MB on a CD; the Full Network Installation Package is only 266MB, which is all you need. When you are ready to install from this file it will extract itself to a larger size ON DISK then install.

Collapse -
I was incorrect, 748 MB is correct
by DarCLew2 / May 10, 2006 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: You're sure?

I did burn it onto a cd-r with Nero and it put in all but 1 MB and it is copywrited [The CD with Service Pack 2]from microsoft. I have thrown it out after I shattered the CD-R. Darrell L.

Collapse -
There is a way
by Themisive / May 10, 2006 8:59 AM PDT

To get Nero to record copyrighted data. I know, I've done it - I will admit though, it does NOT work 100% of the time.

When you record it, make sure you are using an ISO format, usually this works. I often use it when I want to copy a programme CD, the original becoming the backup and the copy becoming the working copy.

It is not against any copyright law either, as the law does state that you are allowed to make one backup "for achival purposes".

Collapse -
it works either way
by linkit / May 3, 2006 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: may not work with CD-R

Although the entire SP2 update CD from Microsoft is 475MB, the acutal SP2 update file on the CD is 272MB (about the same size as the downloaded network installation SP2 file).

I have successfully performed the the slipstream operation with the network installation file and also with the xpsp2.exe file from the SP2 update CD. Both methods work with CD-R.

Collapse -
Perhaps MS Is Greedier in US ? I'm In Canada & Yes It Was...
by tobeach / May 3, 2006 4:01 PM PDT

snail mail (took 3 days from filling in form on net) but arrived postage paid and with no other charges. Sent from their office in Mississuaga, Ont.(about 35 miles away). Happy

Collapse -
Windows XP SP2 is still available
by jcentron / May 10, 2006 12:25 PM PDT

Recieved it straight from Microsoft in about 7 days to Australia , Aprox 4 weeks ago , Just had to pay for shipping, , have a good day Christine

Collapse -
it shouldn't be a problem
by jonah jones / May 2, 2006 4:19 PM PDT

the file you need to burn is this --> WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe
a description can be found here

using Nero, you 'burn a data disc'

jonah

Collapse -
Burning XP Service Pack 2 to a CD
by dungarvon / May 3, 2006 10:18 AM PDT

Once again, thanks to all for the replies.

I think I'll try the "copy to disk" method just to see if I can do it and see if it works.

The slipstream option I had never heard of. Sounds like an interesting thing to give a try.

This CNET site is very helpful and informative.

I guess I should say that it's the people responding who are helpful and informative.

Collapse -
Aslo
by Themisive / May 10, 2006 9:07 AM PDT

If you really want to go to town, look at getting the Autorun proramme, you can get it from C:\Program Files\Typhoon Software\, what it does in effect is to create an autorun set of files, so when your computer looks at it, it will automatically tun the programme - just as it does with a normal programme CD.

By the way, it says it can only be used with CD's, don't believe it, I use autorun with DVD-R's as well.

All the extra files (they only take up around 1/2Mb total) do is to tell the computer to start that disk - it doesn't matter if it's CD or DVD!

Collapse -
Also
by Themisive / May 10, 2006 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Aslo

If you really want to go to town, look at getting the Autorun proramme, you can get it from http://www.typhoonsoftware.com/download.htm what it does in effect is to create an autorun set of files, so when your computer looks at it, it will automatically tun the programme - just as it does with a normal programme CD.

By the way, it says it can only be used with CD's, don't believe it, I use autorun with DVD-R's as well.

All the extra files (they only take up around 1/2Mb total) do is to tell the computer to start that disk - it doesn't matter if it's CD or DVD!

please ignore reply 14 on this subject - I got some of the details wrong.

Collapse -
SP2
by longjohn / May 11, 2006 5:55 PM PDT

I downloaded a free program called Nlite. With this program you can basically incorporate Windows XP with SP2. Then burn the compilation to a cd, it saves having to install SP2 after XP.

Collapse -
you can get ms to send it to you for free
by Slasher / May 12, 2006 4:17 AM PDT

just check out the site. Thats what I did when I had dial-up. Its free and quick.

Collapse -
Also
by Themisive / May 12, 2006 7:07 AM PDT

This way you don't need to worry about "Slipstreaming" the SP2, if you already have it on a disk, you can use it when needed.

Collapse -
Ya Nothing Happens
by mtrmm8115 / May 13, 2006 2:17 PM PDT

I burnt an XP SP2 cd.
But there was no change in the program.
The program ran successfully.
So don't worry and you can burn yuor XP SP2 cd.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.