Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Burning one large wav file to multiple cd's???

by ben1234 / December 5, 2005 2:20 AM PST

I am using Roxio Creator Classic 6.2

Goal: Trying to burn a wav file that is 8GB large to multiple discs that can be played on any cd player. Unfortunately I won?t be able to convert the wav file to MP3 because my cd players won?t play MP3?s.

What I have tried:

Try #1: (Music format) Used Roxio creator classic, added the wav file to the project list, selected music format. When I added the file to the project list, it only indicated I needed one disc (kind of strange). The rest of the file volume went into the buffer overrun. I figured once I filled the first disc, it would ask me for the on and so forth. Negative on that, once the first disc was recorded, it didn?t ask me for a second. Therefore this method did not work.

Try #2: (Data Format) Roxio cd creator classic 6.2 lets you create data cd?s with files that can span multiple discs. (I know that data files can only ~ (usually) be played back on the computer, but I figured I?d give it a try. I added the file to the project list, selected data cd and the loaded a blank cd. After loading the cd, the progress bar found at the bottom of Roxio indicated that I needed 12 discs. Kewl...this might work! Once the first disc was done recording, Roxio asked me for the second on and so forth. Well, before I wasted all those disc?s, I tried the first disc in my cd boombox, didn?t work. The cd player was unable to read the disc. I wasn?t surprised though since I did record it as a data cd. I think it adds files to the index so the player didn?t see the wav file. It played on the computer, but I figured on that, however, that wasn?t my goal to play it on the computer. This method did not work either....well it worked, but not as a music wav file that could be played on any conventional cd player.

I?m pretty sure I have to record it using the music format. Can Roxio Creator Classic do this?

Ultimate goal is to play each of these 12 cd?s sequentially...i.e. when the first disc is completed, the second picks right up where the first left off.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Burning one large wav file to multiple cd's???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Burning one large wav file to multiple cd's???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When Roxio spanned disks, it was creating a file that the
by Kiddpeat / December 5, 2005 3:17 AM PST

computer can read (with the the right software). As you saw, the CD player did not undertsnad the result.

You will have to break the file down into segments where each segment can fit on a disk as music. Then each CD can be played, even sequentially if that's what you want. An audio editor of some kind is needed to break up the file.

Collapse -
you might want to try Easy Media Creator 8 (gasp)
by le2anseb / December 5, 2005 6:32 AM PST

but that is one huge *** WAV file (how did you create it???)

Roxio's new update doesn't look all that grand, but I got it and I must say they have really improved their audio apps. Check out their new application "Music Disc Creator", and their sound editor. I'm using them all the time now for re-tagging my mp3s and creating audio cds and mp3 cds too. sound editor is really cool.

for what you want to do, you should be able to just add that huge WAV file to your project, and it should automatically determine the # of audio CD needed. then click the burn button and cross your fingers.

If that doesn't work, the the reply by Kiddpeat is correct. Go to the sound editor, load the file, and add what they call "track separators". make sure each track is less than 80 minutes, depending on the type of media you plan to burn to. then, click "burn audio CD" on the left, and again, cross them fingers. but this last approach should definitely work.

I would try it for you, but creating an 8GB WAV file is way too time-consuming for me!

good luck

Collapse -
You are telling us the real objective.
by Art / December 5, 2005 1:17 PM PST

#1 I think there are few if any at all cd player that plays wave files; there might some dvd player that plays wave, my guess is that you can count it with less than half a hand.

Instead of what you are trying to do, why not splited the wave file first (that is problably the only solution for you).

Down load audacity and try it (free). I personally use audio clean lab (about $40).

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I think wav is the standard CD file.
by Kiddpeat / December 5, 2005 3:41 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.