Office & Productivity Software

General discussion

Burning emails from outlook to CD

by alsaxon / March 21, 2006 2:50 AM PST

How do I burn emails from my inbox to a disc. Do I have to move the emails out of outlook first and then burn? May I have instructions please? I'd greatly appreciate it. This is outlook 2003 by the way.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Burning emails from outlook to CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Burning emails from outlook to CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Outlook mails to disc
by Kees Bakker / March 21, 2006 3:21 AM PST

Alsaxon,

It depends on what you want to do and why you want to do it. So if you can explain the purpose of your actions, we'll see what the best way is to accomplish it.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
This is a Easy Method
by colindarby / March 21, 2006 4:25 AM PST

Yes you can save/burn your Emails to a CD by creating on your Desktop folder named - Inbox = and if required - one for the = Sent = Items

Open up your Outlook/Outlook Express, go to = File = Select All - the messages in the Inbox [or select only the ones required] and drag them into the newly formed Inbox folder on the desktop [Note! this process only copies the Emails and you will find they are still retained in the old computer's boxes!!] [Suggest you reduce the size of the outlook box to enable you to see the new folders on the desktop]
Repeat the same procedure for the Sent Items

Burn folders to a CD =
If required you can later on drag them back into your Inbox or Sent Box [To modify them
you may have to make them from ''Read Only'' to ''Read'']

Collapse -
This is also an easy method.
by Kees Bakker / March 21, 2006 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: This is a Easy Method

Burn the whole .pst-file to cd. Restore is somewhat more difficult, because it could overwrite the current version. It might make sense to burn an 'archive' to cd.

Personally I prefer this to backing up individual messages. But that's purely a matter of taste, of course. There's nothing wrong with backing up individual messages, but it's more difficult to search mails (say by sender or by date or by subject) than if they are organized in a pst-file and accessible using the normal Outlook interface.

Some hints in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011030811033.aspx and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287070

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/EM011112441033.aspx is apparently recommended by Microsoft, but presumably not free. It's easy to find other shareware for the same purpose.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks for everyone's advice - Will this also work...
by alsaxon / March 21, 2006 11:43 AM PST

My plan is to go to my inbox and "select all". Create a folder on my desktop as someone suggested and then paste the emails into the folder. Once I've done this, I can burn the whole folder onto cd. This should work right? Also, I shouldn't have any problems opening the files on a different computer as long as the pc has outlook right? What about if the pc has outlook express and not outlook, will it still open? My emails are in outlook, but the pc the emails may be opened on may only have outlook express.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I love the great advice I get. 99% of the time it helps me out.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Re: Outlook and Outlook Express.
by Kees Bakker / March 21, 2006 5:31 PM PST

Alsaxon,

As far as I know, Outlook exports .msg-files and Outlook Express exports .eml files. I doubt if OE will be able to read the first.

But it's easy to try. Move 1 mail to a diskette or USB-key and try to open it on a PC without Outlook. See what happens if you doubleclick on it in Explorer or try to open/import it in OE.

File>Import in OE does have the choice to import Outlook messages. But it could well be it expects a complete .pst file, not individual messages.
That's easy to test also. Make a small Outlook archive or personal pst-file. Put that on the diskette or USB-stick also.

With some experiments, you'll probably find a satisfying solution.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks Kees! One more Question.
by alsaxon / March 22, 2006 12:41 AM PST

Thank you Kees, you have been very helpful. I see what you are saying about outlook and outlook express. Would you mine explaining to me how to go about saving emails as a .pst file? Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Outlook and pst-files.
by Kees Bakker / March 22, 2006 3:56 AM PST

Alsaxon,

About everything you see when you open Outlook is in one big database, and that's a pst-file. It's called outlook.pst by default, somewhere in your Documents and Settings folder. Go and find it with Explorer, and you'll see it.
But you can also make additional 'personal folders file', say mail2005.pst, and move all 2005-mail into that. You can make as many folders in such a pst-file if you like, and you can have as many personal folder files as you like.

Here's some info:
http://asp2.wlv.ac.uk/its/website/selfhelp/help/outlook/outlook_personal_folders.asp
http://www.technology.ku.edu/email/faqs/personalfolders.shtml

Hope this helps.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.