TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Burning DVD's from DVR Copyright Protected

by robertjohn527 / May 8, 2007 12:56 AM PDT

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300 cable box/ DVR. I record movies on the hard drive with no problem. The problem occurs when I try to record them on a DVD. I receive an error message telling me it cannot copy due to copy protect. Is thera any way around this or am I doing something wrong? Thanks, Robert

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Burning DVD's from DVR Copyright Protected
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Burning DVD's from DVR Copyright Protected
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Copy protection...
by John.Wilkinson / May 8, 2007 1:04 AM PDT

Circumvention of copy protection is one topic that cannot be discussed in these forums since the Digital Millennium Copyright Act prohibits such, even when for your own personal use. My suggestion would be to use your DVD recorder to save the movies directly to disc from now on. If you use rewritable DVDs you may be able to then edit them on your computer as well.

Collapse -
DVR recordable
by robertjohn527 / May 8, 2007 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Copy protection...

Why can I record these movies on my DVR but not on to a disk after doing so? Robert

Collapse -
They're trying to discourage sharing...
by John.Wilkinson / May 8, 2007 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: DVR recordable

There are three times when you may want to transfer the video from the DVR to DVD:

1.) To distribute copies of it to others, including over the internet, which is illegal.

2.) To copy it to portable devices to watch it on the road. This is discouraged since the movie studios want you to purchase the DVDs.

3.) To store a copy for the long term and be able to play it at your leisure. The logic here is that you can do that anyway by saving on the DVR, and otherwise they still want you to buy the DVD.

When it comes down to it, it's a calculated decision to reduce illegal distribution and increase DVD sales. Not all DVRs copy protect content all of the stored to them, but you must respect the protection if implemented.

Collapse -
DVD Recording from Scientific Atlanta 8300 can be done
by bbq1607 / May 8, 2007 3:36 PM PDT

It can be done. if your DVD recorder lets you. My Insignia Recorder fro Best buy almost always said no, but my two samsungs have always said yes. Both Samsungs are VHS and DVD combos. Why do they work and some others don't? I don't know but I just wanted to clear my DVR hard drive for more recording and not to sell DVDs.

Collapse -
Your vcr should still record ok.
by ahtoi / May 8, 2007 6:19 PM PDT

I guess nobody buys pirated tapes, hehe.

Collapse -
Most VCRs support copy protection as well...
by John.Wilkinson / May 9, 2007 12:40 AM PDT

In fact, the law here in the US states that all VCRs manufactured or distributed since 2002 must support various forms of copy protection...see Macrovision. Older units, freely available at garage sales and on Ebay, are usually not affected, but just about any you pick up at the local electronics store will respond the same way.

P.S. VCRs are not protected to the same degree as DVD recorders and DVRs because of their low-quality nature.

Collapse -
have you tried the GODVD device ?
by https2046 / March 27, 2010 9:55 PM PDT

they were sold even at Best Buy for about $90.00 This device has never failed to allow me to copy anything.BUT it only has SVHS inputs,outputs,its the size of a pack of cigarettes. Or read my posts on this subject.

Collapse -
Scientific Atlantic 8300
by Dan Filice / March 28, 2010 7:14 AM PDT

I have the same DVR and it gives an option of recording content to VCR. I assume this means that only the composite Video-Out on the back of the DVR lets a signal be exported. So if you have a DVD recorder with composite Video-In connections the you might be in luck. Sadly we can't export HD content to a DVD recorder yet.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.