Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

burning CDs and DVDs

by Anamacha / September 14, 2005 1:03 AM PDT

I know it's possible to easily burn CDs with Windows XP -- I've seen the option on other machines. You select a folder or file, select "Copy to CD" in File and Folder Tasks on the left, and away you go.

I don't seem to have that option, though. I'm using XP Pro SP2. Do I have to have a blank CD inserted in order for this option to show up?

Also ... how can I burn a DVD?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: burning CDs and DVDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: burning CDs and DVDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
some answers
by linkit / September 14, 2005 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: burning CDs and DVDs

I'm running Windows XP Pro (SP2). Right click on a file and select "Send to" and select your CD or DVD drive. You do not have to have a blank disc in the drive. You can insert a disc later, and then right-click on your CD/DVD drive and select "Write these files to CD" to burn them.

You can burn to whatever type of media (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, etc.) your drive supports.

Collapse -
reading more carefully
by linkit / September 14, 2005 1:41 AM PDT

I just read your post more carefully. If you first select the items you to send to a CD, a "Copy the selected items" option appears on the left. When you click on that option, a window should pop up, giving you options for selecing a disk to which you wish to have them copied. At that point, just select your CD/DVD drive.

Collapse -
ok ... more info.
by Anamacha / September 18, 2005 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: reading more carefully

Alright ... we may be getting somewhere.

When I select an individual file, I can choose "send to | DVD/CD-RW". When I choose that menu option, though, nothing happens.

When I select a FOLDER, though, I can choose "send to | DVD/CD-RW", at which point the contents of the folder are copied (to a write buffer, I suppose), and then nothing happens. A message flashed in my systray, but it disappeared too fast for me to read it. And there doesn't seem to be any new icons in the systray.

Then I tried putting in a blank CD ... and iTunes picked it up, telling me how to burn a playlist, but nothing else happened.

Wait. I think I just answered my own question. When I go to My Computer, then right click on the CD-RW drive, I have two new choices: "Write these files to CD" and "Delete temporary files".

Now ... another question: Is is possible to make the CDs and DVDs I burn Mac-compatible by default? When I was burning things on my mac with Toast, it gave me the option of making discs Mac/PC hybrid.

thanks!

Anam

Collapse -
The IMAPI service needs to be running.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2005 2:27 AM PDT

That's part of the requred gear to use XP's native recording. Let me offer that this link http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php covers just about all that is known about the native tools.

But I find such of such poor quality compared to the freely available CDBURNERXP from http://www.cdburnerxp.se

Bob

Collapse -
good stuff
by linkit / September 14, 2005 5:38 AM PDT

Thanks, Bob. Awesome info!

Collapse -
IMAPI
by rfchmbrs / September 14, 2005 11:52 AM PDT

Does this apply to a USB connected CD/DVD writer? The drive used to work.

I seem to have same problem and CDBurnerXP runs fine burn doesn't actually write to the media. I had a bad CD drive in the computer a week ago and removed it and now nothing works.

Thanks,
RON C

Collapse -
That's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2005 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: IMAPI
Collapse -
thanks ...
by Anamacha / September 18, 2005 6:11 AM PDT

now how do I get the IMAPI service running by default? I checked my Task Manager, and I don't seem to have it running.

What will this do for me, besides the CD things?

Collapse -
how do I get the IMAPI service running by default? I
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2005 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks ...

By setting it to do so in SERVICES.MSC

But why do that? CDBURNERXP can exceed what XP offers in regards to CD/DVD recording needs.

Collapse -
From what
by Themisive / September 22, 2005 7:54 AM PDT

you say, you have a CD burner already installed (is it CD and DVD or what) but what happened to the original disk that you received with the burner? I'm on my third unit, and have had a burner software disk each time.

If you still have that disk, it may be worth re-installing it and then updating it's software. Then it's Happy Burning.

Collapse -
CDBurnerXP
by linkit / September 22, 2005 9:51 AM PDT

I have been using CDBURNERXP for the past 2 weeks, as per your suggestion. Absolutely love it. Thanks, Bob!

Collapse -
Thanks for the report back.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2005 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: CDBurnerXP

While it misses one feature (CD COPY) I find that the ISO read and write works to do the same thing.

Thanks for the report.

Bob

Collapse -
I agree
by Themisive / September 22, 2005 11:41 PM PDT

with Bob, often you cannot copy data directly - as with data downloads, so the only way is to make an ISO copy on your hard drive, then to burn that, it works for me - incidentally that is the way to back up your irreplaceable data as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.