Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

burning avi/divx to dvd

by mjlee / November 15, 2005 5:25 AM PST

I have some avi/divx files that I want to burn to a dvd that can then be played on a stand-alone player. Using Nero, what is the best format? Do I need to convert to svcd or something like that, I really want to squeeze as many eps as possible onto a single dvd. I've tried burning as data disc, no go of course, then as UDF/DVD-ROM and that didn't work either.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: burning avi/divx to dvd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: burning avi/divx to dvd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
burning avi/divx to dvd
by SunderlandFan / November 15, 2005 5:38 AM PST

When converting avi with nero I always select DVD-Video. There is a meter that tells you how many files you can fit. It all depends on the size of the avi file.
Post back if you have any problems.

Collapse -
Doesn't work
by mjlee / November 15, 2005 6:18 AM PST

When I try and add the .avi files to the DVD-Video it creates a VIDEO_TS folder that I can't put .avi files in. So how do you burn avi files to dvd with Nero? Do you re-code them?

Collapse -
Did you create a dvd from that?
by Art / November 15, 2005 3:52 PM PST
In reply to: Doesn't work

You know that a dvd do have video_ts folder.

Collapse -
by vpsp / May 25, 2010 12:27 AM PDT

Nero has reencoded your avi in DVD format. that's why you have VIDEO_TS folder.
If you want to burn your avi in avi format you have to burn avi as data, not as a Video DVD. If you want to see tour avi on your DVD home player, it must be compatible (not all DVD player are compatible)
Better way is to reencode Your video and burn it as a Video DVD.
I use Dvdtivi lite to make my conversion. It also create VIDEO_TS folder.

Collapse -
Re: Doesn't work
by SunderlandFan / November 15, 2005 9:45 PM PST
In reply to: Doesn't work

When you say you can't put the files in the Video_TS folder what exactly do you mean? Do you get an error message? I just drag and drop the files into the folder then click continue etc, nero recodes these files to dvd format and then burns them.
If you are getting error messages please post them here so we can help.

Collapse -
What version of Nero?
by Art / November 15, 2005 3:34 PM PST

Nero version 6 ultra can convert divx to dvd or vcd format (use neroVision express for this. Just nero express don't have that capability.

Collapse -
Thanks I'll try that
by mjlee / November 16, 2005 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: What version of Nero?

I think I just used ordinary Express. But well, what I'm really after is just to burn the .avi files to a disc that my stand-alone player can read. If I just burn them as a data disc, would that work?

Collapse -
You are correct.
by Art / November 16, 2005 6:03 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks I'll try that

You do burn a divx disc as DATA disc but not many standalone player will play it. I have a Philips model DVP-642 will play it (cost about $60).

Collapse -
avi is corrupt....
by waran187 / December 24, 2005 5:37 PM PST
In reply to: You are correct.

i just purchased a dvd burner...burned my dvdrip avi (xvid)
movies to empty dvd-r with nero under DATA option (3 movies on 1 dvd-r in xvid format)...but the avi files which is burned
in the dvd is corrupt...G spot says "bad chunk in frame data"
already tried few times with diff burning speed...nil joy...any idea??
the original file in my hard disk is good.

hoping to play it in my standalone.appreciate your help.

Collapse -
by samiapple / August 13, 2015 3:23 AM PDT

Not all AVI can be supported by DVD player actually. AVI is a container video format which may encoded with different video codecs like DivX, Xvid, MPEG-4, H.263, WMV, MPEG-1 and etc. If the AVI video is not encoded the DVD player compatible codec, DVD player won’t play AVI files. In fact, some too old standalone DVD players can’t play AVI at all. Only new DVD players can play AVI files which is encoded with DivX.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.