PC Hardware

General discussion

burned DVD video occasionally pauses

by frankzxcv / November 17, 2004 1:12 PM PST

I am not sure of the source of this problem, whether it software or hardware related, so apologies if this turns out to be the wrong forum.

I just bought a DVD burner and adobe premiere 6.5. I did up a show for a client where I took a 4 minute show (turned it into an .avi file) and loaded that .avi file repeatedly into the premiere edit timeline, creating a 45 minute "loop." In all the (4) DVD's I burned of this show, there was a problem where the DVD would freeze on a frame somewhere in the show. on some disks sometimes it happened maybe 6 minutes in, other disks it happened like 30 minutes in.

This was seen on 2 separate DVD players
It happened in different places on each disk
it happened on both +R and -R disks
it happened with both mpg and mv2 (?) format files encoded by premiere and burned by myDVD

the only thing consistent was the source material (which in most of its repetitions played fine),
the myDVD by sonic software that I used,
and the liteon DVD burner on my machine.

I am wondering if this is a problem caused by using cheap 4x media ?? myDVD only burns at "auto" speed (whatever that is, won't tell me)

Any advice?

athlon system, kd7a mobo, win 2000 --fj

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: burned DVD video occasionally pauses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: burned DVD video occasionally pauses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: burned DVD video occasionally pauses
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2004 1:26 PM PST

You need to try this on a NEW DVD player. You'll likely find it's OK.

If you have a Linux machine, K3b can duplicate that DVD at any speed you want. Just so you can try it.

I know the issue, there is no real cure other than new players, Lens Cleaners and good media, but no recorder media plays on my Apex DVD player. It was annoying so I gave that one away.

Bob

Collapse -
by frankzxcv / November 17, 2004 3:47 PM PST

hey RP--

well I am playing it on my own DVD player (a cheapo "JWIN" . . . and i played it on a pretty fancy pro rig tonite and had the same problem . . .

shorter shows i had no probs with my own player.

Obviously it COULD of course be player related -- which I spose would be good news . . . I will try playing it on the burner itself and see what that does! - fj

Collapse -
Hey Frank...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2004 9:49 PM PST

This area is very interesting to me and since the office produces demo DVDs on DVD+R and DVD-R all the time, we see this a lot.

I'm sure we can compare notes about what we use to create such things as well as comiserate that many DVD set-top players tend to not do well at all.

The DVD "industry" did not embrace recorded media. Once you figure that out... A lot more clarity follows. Here's a tip.

Once your client wants to make more DVDs, for distribution you have to move to the normal pressed DVD. The prices have never been lower, hitting prices that make it possible for free DVDs on cereal boxes.

Bob

Collapse -
interesting
by frankzxcv / November 18, 2004 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: Hey Frank...

interesting. these people don't get it, if they don't get their act together a more dependable medium will overtake them . . . if history teaches anything about computer technology . . .

I have another long show to build for client, I may try using a better "name brand" blank disks, also 8x rated media as opposed to the on-sale-cheap 4x media i used on this go round. I dind't put any labels on, for fear it would throw them out of round somehow . . . justified fear i see!

Is there a player you would recommend that plays home burned ones better than others? need to buy one anyway, I hate this jwin thing. --fj

Collapse -
Walmart...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2004 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: interesting

I have this Pioneer that didn't cost most from Walmart (DVC 250?) and it does DVD-R media just fine. I'm sure that Philips and other names will be fine, but I'd pass on Sony. They had some internal political issue with recorded media for years. No need for me to test if they got over it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Walmart...
by lenny / November 19, 2004 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: Walmart...

I bought the Zenith, XBV-442, combo VCR DVD, it plays DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW,& CDs & plays & records Video tapes All For $109.00 at Circuit City, it works great I hope this helps you.

Collapse -
Someone REMINDED ME OF THIS ISSUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2004 1:02 AM PST
Collapse -
some success with lowered bitrrate and encoder quality
by frankzxcv / November 18, 2004 1:57 PM PST

well in the mpeg encloder that comes with premiere 6.5 I adjusted down from a bitrate of 6000 to 5500 and I lowered the video encoder quality from the default 39 to 30 . .

and I got a show with NO SKIPS (when played on my el cheapo but fairly new Jwin VD player. I checked thru to the end with 8x fast forwarding)

so there were no playback flaws or pauses that I could find. (I checked the previous faulty show with f-forwarding the same way and DID have unrecoverable freezes in the playback)

I think I can see a drop in video quality (no surprise) but at least we're making progress here! so I am pursuing the hypothesis that the encoder is as much the possible culprit as the playback decks.

I ned to read up on just exactly what all these encoder numbers mean. will report as I experiment further- fj

Collapse -
new version of software
by frankzxcv / November 18, 2004 2:34 PM PST

well i jst found out that this adobe premiere 6.5 mpeg encoder has an updated version on the adobe site. with another beta update available.

just installed it. I'll let you know what i learn-- fj

Collapse -
Beat me to it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2004 8:54 PM PST

I was just wondering about that.

BTW, try this trick...

Duplicate the DVD with DVDSHRINK. It can re-encode it and I'm finding it actually works to fix twitchy DVDs.

Bob

Collapse -
success
by frankzxcv / November 21, 2004 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: Beat me to it.

a 45 min DVD encoded with the updated premiere/mainconcept encoder (v 1.2)

at bitrate 6000
encoder on full blast (50)

burned a perfect dvd.

statistically not enough to show that all is solved, but for the moment, hooray-- fj

Collapse -
Re: success
by chuckieu / November 22, 2004 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: success

Frank, in all this, I noticed one thing. You seem to have skipped Step 1 for DVD burners( other than just playing
with it). Go to the manufacturers home site and find out
what media your model likes. Used to be a problem early
on with CDRWs till they fixed it. After you get the list,
try small batches of each available to you till you find the ones it likes. My deck hates Sony, an otherwise highly rated brand. Good luck. chuck

Collapse -
Re: success
by todde_ / November 26, 2004 11:53 AM PST
In reply to: success

You also might want to check with the Lite-On site for a firmware update for your burner (or whoever made the DVD burner). Sometimes an update is all you need. I have burned a lot of DVDs and crossed that bridge many times. It is mainly trial and error. Use good media, usually rated higher than you are burning, try burning on RW disk before you burn on record once disks. And like the old days of CD burning, shut as much of the un-needed processes running in the background down before burning. After you get a good one use Clone-DVD or Alcohol 120% to duplicate. At least that is what has worked for me. Oh...I pray a lot, it never hurts.
Capt. Todd E.

Collapse -
by biglee2005 / November 25, 2004 11:05 PM PST

Hi, I'm not sure if this is exactly like your problem, but here goes. I burn a lot of dvds. I burned a couple that froze up on me to during play back..I realized that i was checking my mail or what ever at the same time..that caused my dvd to freeze..I have not had that problem now that i let the dvd burn and do nothing else......

try this...hope it helps.....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.