Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Burned CD that works only on my machine?

by FredS / September 13, 2005 1:35 PM PDT

Yesterday I burned a CD with about 6 MB of business data using Nero Express (v 5.5.10.7). The files I burned included 14 PDFs and one MS Word file. My operating system is Win 98 SE.

When I got to the office of an associate, I gave him the CD to copy to his computer hard drive. He tried opening the CD on his laptop but the CD's contents would not display even after several minutes' wait. Then he tried a secretary's desktop computer. Same thing with that computer and, if I'm not mistaken, I think the computer actually hung.

All the computers in my associate's office run Win XP.

When I returned home I tried the CD in my desktop again and it opened flawlessly. What do you think could have caused this problem at my associate's office, or what can I do prevent a recurrence when burning CDs?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Burned CD that works only on my machine?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Burned CD that works only on my machine?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Burned CD that works only on my machine?
by cycling-rod / September 13, 2005 4:55 PM PDT

You must "finalise" a CD before it can be read (opened) in another drive. There should be a "Finalise Disk" facility in Nero. As I don't use Nero, I can't be more specific.

Collapse -
About Finalize
by FredS / September 13, 2005 5:15 PM PDT

From memory, when you use Nero it does ask you in the beginning of the burn session if you want to leave the media (CD) open to add more data later. Most people do - especially on multiple read-write media. This is what I used yesterday.

However, following the steps Nero gives you to do in order makes the work fairly mistake-proof: (1) selecting files to add, (2) clicking "next" to burn the data and (3) a few more closing "next" butttons on screen to click until, finally, the the CD is burned and the CD writer door opens and even expels the media.

In other words, except for the initial choice of an open or closed CD (with no hope of adding more data later), I don't remember any "finalize" selector in the process. Did I miss something? Thanks.

Collapse -
Finalize is a general term
by Skcoop / September 14, 2005 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: About Finalize

Nero attempts to make the process as easy as it can by eliminating language some may find confusing.

Finalize is the general term used to indicate the session or information you are burning is indexed and added to the cd's table of contents allowing it to be read by other cdroms.

If you don't finalize at all the cd can only be read by the burner it was created on. If you finalize the session, then you can add additional data later. If you finalize the whole cd, then nothing else can be added.

If you used the advanced forms of Nero you would see these terms, but they generally do not appear with the Express versions. Generally saying you want to be able to add data at a later date is your best bet.

Collapse -
Finalize in Nero Express 5.5
by Edward ODaniel / September 14, 2005 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: About Finalize
ftp://ftp6.nero.com/manual/NeroExpress_ENG.pdf

Download it (if you don't already have it in your Nero directory) then open it and in the bookmarks column open the Data menu then "Creating your first disk"

Now in the right hand window of Acrobat Reader scroll down to page 29 of 131. That shows you where the finalize option is.

As has been noted, if it is not finalized many other readers will not be able to open it.
Collapse -
Finalize checked . . .
by FredS / September 15, 2005 1:43 AM PDT

I found the tutorial in my Nero directory and read Page 29. Thank you much.

I think my first mistake was using the "Express" version that day. I was in hurry to get to a meeting and it just happened.

However, not knowing about "finalize" then like I do now, I probably would *not* have clicked the option. I was using a read-write (RW) CD that day so I'd have figured that "finalize" would have meant that that my reusable CD would have been permanently closed to adding or erasing files. Kind of a waste for only 6 MB.

I need to study this problem some more. But for now I'll probably go back to using the full or advanced version of Nero, rather than Express. I've not had this problem before.

Thanks again for the help.

Collapse -
I've never had to finalize...
by reefurbb / September 14, 2005 9:49 PM PDT

as I check the burnt CD in my regular CDrom drive instead of the burner drive, and I've read "open session" CD's on other machines BUT not XP.
The problem might be that W98SE is a FAT32 system and XP is NTFS and can't read your FAT32 created files?
If you can, send your 6mb of stuff over the Internet to the office, or network your home PC to a business PC, as XP can then read it all.
Hint: you can zip the whole 6mb to maybe well reduce the size.

Collapse -
XP was just a thought . . .
by FredS / September 15, 2005 1:37 AM PDT

I'll look further into that ''finalize'' problem, but for now it could've been that I used the Express version, instead of the Full-burn version. I've burned multiple copies of business CDs before and not had that problem before. I think I've usually used the Full version and that's how I missed the ''finalize'' option in the Express version. Maybe it's the same for you?

Now that I think about it, the Win 98 FAT32 files shouldn't be a problem, either. Because most of my business associates already do use Win XP, I would've heard long ago if all the CDs I've burned for them didn't work.

The thing is I have a dial up connection and a slow one at that. So sending those 6 MB via email attachments would have been possible, but not practical. First, it would've taken me a long time to send them. Further fallout would've come from making a business associate wait on the download end. I'd have made everyone mad even before I arrived at that office <grin>. Not a good way to start a meeting <g>.

Thanks for the ideas.

Collapse -
good to hear no previous CD problems...
by reefurbb / September 15, 2005 9:54 PM PDT

There was the clue. Express is the proprietary version given with a CD burner purchase and can't be used with any other model burner. I use Roxio (Adaptec).
Good to know that an XP PC can read a W98 created CD.

Collapse -
Can't speak for the software being used. . .
by Cursorcowboy / September 15, 2005 11:17 PM PDT

but as mentioned in this "forum thread" I have two scenarios for either a closed or open CD -- the open has the two files UDFRCHK.EXE and UDFRINST.ZL, which I'm assuming assists in a read on a computer which does not have my burning program installed and a AUTORUN.INF without the first two mentioned on one closed which activates the main program it contains.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.