Audio & Video Software

General discussion

burn music but doesn't play in my car stereo

by simbad / July 20, 2005 4:36 PM PDT

I burn music to cd-r and was able to play it in my car and home stereo. I purchased music from msn and burn it from my play list but this time it won't let me burn it into cd-r or cd-rw. I use the rest of the cd-r when I burn music the first time. Is this possible that I can burn music into the cd-r or cd-rw and the rest of the cd-r doesn't work. What is HighMat audio? what is this for?

I purchased a cd-r that says 700MB, 80minutes but if I selected a drive with Audio CD in WMP I could only burn 17 or less music into the cd-r, if I selected the HighMat Audio I could burn music up to 700 MB but doesn't played in my car or home stereo. Please help, need an explanation. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: burn music but doesn't play in my car stereo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: burn music but doesn't play in my car stereo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2005 9:23 PM PDT

1. Read http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq04.html#S4-23

Remember that I do not duplicate FAQ items here. You need to read it.

2. There can be DRM issues. If you buy said tracks, there can be limits to what you can do with them. I find buying CDs to be more friendly to me making a compilation CD of what I want. NO ONE MAY HELP YOU THWART THE DRM RESTRICTIONS HERE and posts on how to vanish. Just FYI...

3. 17. 17 what? You didn't say, but 17 tracks could be just about right.

Bob

Collapse -
by jcrobso / July 26, 2005 1:41 AM PDT

Standard CD players only handel standard CDs
Most downloaded music is in the form of MP3 file so a standard cd player won't play them. Many newer cd players will play mp3s, but not the older ones.
You would have have to convert the MP3 file to a 44.1kc wavefile then burn it to a CD.
Copyright issues may keep this from working. John

Collapse -
Converting MP3 to 44.1kc wavefil
by Max_Baker239 / September 5, 2013 10:47 PM PDT

That is all well and good that now i know what to do but i have no clue how to convert the MP3 to 44.1Kc files my stereo is an old sony still works fine and has a great quality sound but its 6 years old and can't play mp3 files so i need to convert them the to 44.1kc file. Do you have any idea on how to do this? if so could you please tell as i really want to play some music on this stereo.

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: convert mp3
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 10:58 PM PDT

You can use CDex (free download) to convert mp3-files to wav. And you can burn the wav-files to an audio cd using your favorite burning program (cdburnerxp is a free download if you don't have one already). Be sure to choose audio cd as output format.

It's one hour of music per cd, as you know.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by Max_Baker239 / September 7, 2013 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: convert mp3

Thanks so much your a legend. It worked fine and not I can burn the music and use the stereo.

Thanks again Happy

Collapse -
just a question
by acebreathe / July 27, 2005 3:10 PM PDT

Did you try adding music to a CDR that you had already burned? Generally speaking to get something to play away from your computer, like in your car, you have to close the cd after burning. If it's an eighty minute cdr and you only use thirty minutes you can't add to it after it has been closed. If that's not the case then Bob is right, there is only so much you are allowed to do with online purchased music.

Collapse -
by sbiggs / March 13, 2008 4:26 AM PDT

I MAY HAVE STUMBLED ON TO AN ANSWER FOR YOU. WHEN YOU DOWNLOAD MUSIC, DON'T USE THE "DOWNLOAD" BUTTON, USE THE "DOWNLOAD AS..." BUTTON AND IT WILL SAVE TO HARD DRIVE "SAVED FILES". IF YOU DON'T HAVE iTUNES, DOWNLOAD IT AND OPEN "MUSIC". YOU CAN THEN DRAG FROM THE "SAVED FILES" TO THE "MUSIC" FOLDER. ONCE YOU HAVE THE "MUSIC" FOLDER FILLED TO YOUR LIKING, UNCHECK ALL OF THE SONGSAND ONE BY ONE RIGHT CLICK ON THE SONGS ON "CONVERT TO "AAC". THIS MAY BE DONE AUTOMATICALLY. NOW YOU CAN TRANSFER THEM TO A PLAYLIST AND BURN TO DISK. THESES SONGS SHOULD PLAY IN EVERYTHING BUT THE FIRST GENERATION CD PLAYERS. I'VE BEEN FIGHTIONG THIS FOR OVER A MONTH NOW.
TRY THIS AND GET BACK TO ME TO LET ME KNOW HOW IT WENT.
sbiggs3736@peoplepc.com

Collapse -
burned music
by sherrisdude / October 17, 2009 12:18 PM PDT

for burning audio onto a cd...it must be "uncompressed" for best playback quality...therefore the filesize will be much larger than it is if it were in mp3 or wma format...if you were burning in wma or mp3 format,naturally you would get more music on the disc because the files are "compressed" and the software thats built into the player reads the file and uncompresses it for playback...if your player reads mp3 or wma format you can burn more music onto the disc...

Collapse -
Burned music not playing in your car stereo
by 5Digitz919 / December 30, 2009 6:22 AM PST

The problem is that the file extension you might be using on your cd burning software is not .mp3. In windows media player it defaults to .WPL, select M3U instead (under Burn ---> More Options - Data Discs - Add a list of all burned files to the disc in this format: M3U/ WPL.

That should fix your issue.

Collapse -
thatnks!
by krisfoxx / January 1, 2010 10:45 PM PST

your good!,...i was having the same problem i followed Ur directions ...i didn't event know i had a option!!! cool!!

Collapse -
Burn music not playing in your car stereo
by LWSkenandore / March 7, 2010 4:27 AM PST

Thank you so very much. This works!!

Collapse -
I have a similar CD burning problem, Please help!
by razaqasemi / March 23, 2010 12:16 PM PDT

Ok, I have music on Windows Media Player(WMP). I could not burn music from WMP and still can't. So, I tried a lot of things that include: making sure the drivers are properly installed, which they are: And downloaded a lot of other products from internet in an attempt to fix the problem including converting the music into AVI files and WMA files but did not help. Final steps i took was to download a CD-DVD burning software and and was able to burn the CD BUT it only plays in my PC and not my car! In the car, it has only one track whether I like it or not and the track is MUTED, NO SOUND!

I don't know what's wrong. please help.

Collapse -
I GOT SIMILAR PROBLEM. PLEASE HELP
by razaqasemi / March 23, 2010 12:22 PM PDT

I have a similar problem where the music i burnt plays in my PC, but not in my car. It thinks it has 1 track which is a MUTE track, No sound! The music was in MP3 format and everything in my PC is up to date in terms of drivers and updated Microsoft updates.

thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2010 4:04 AM PDT

Did you read this discussion about possible causes?

Collapse -
Thanks
by reviewer1972 / April 23, 2010 5:03 AM PDT

Changing the burn format option to MPU did the trick!!!

Collapse -
Thanks!
by rec5512 / September 4, 2011 2:12 PM PDT

I appreciate the info.

Collapse -
Burnt CDS now play in corsa cd player :)
by hbarratt / May 9, 2012 4:25 AM PDT

Yayy followed your advice and it worked. Thank you so much, I can now finally make lots of CDs Grin And can pass your advice on xxx

Collapse -
burn music onto cd r
by okamechan / May 26, 2012 10:56 PM PDT

it really worked! I like how you showed to change the format. Thank you. I can sleep now!

Collapse -
Audio CDs - what format should I use to burn my Audio CDs?
by luzagodom / May 13, 2010 6:23 PM PDT

Your car stereo probably doesn't have a clue about compression, or decompression,

Collapse -
Re:
by Jgeologist / February 16, 2012 2:44 PM PST

Just follow my instructions and you will be going good with your CD in your car Happy

Collapse -
.CDA is the problem
by je4508 / April 4, 2012 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:

I have many burned cds made with Windows XP, all in .wma that play fine in any vehicle cd player I've used. With a new computer with Windows 7, no matter what program I burn in, every time the tracks come out as .cda files and will not play on my home computer, work computer, or car cd players.

Collapse -
Be carefull about if our files read-only
by Zambo1966 / December 30, 2012 9:09 PM PST

If your file are read-only you have to change the properties. and also burn the files as administrator account.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.