Audio & Video Software

General discussion

Burn multiple videos to DVD for playback in DVD players

by MrFletch / June 13, 2009 11:08 AM PDT

How do i burn multiple videos in the mpg, m2v, avi and mkv formats to DVD video? These video files are no more than 100mb each. Previously i have been burning the files as data but i now know this is incorrect. I now understand that i will need to create chapters for each video. I am open to file conversion and so far have converted an mkv format to mpg with TMPGenc 2.5 Plus. Which program(s) should i use that burns DVD video, makes chapters and accomodates most if not all of these formats?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Burn multiple videos to DVD for playback in DVD players
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Burn multiple videos to DVD for playback in DVD players
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System information
by MrFletch / June 13, 2009 11:13 AM PDT

Windows Vista
DVD burner

The DVD is mostly for use in my car. I have a Kenwood KVT-819DVD head unit and i bought this specifically to handle anything i tell it to do.

Collapse -
Just a title I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2009 1:00 PM PDT

DVD FLICK

Collapse -
Seems like a GREAT program, easy to use however...
by MrFletch / June 13, 2009 4:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a title I use.

I tested all the file types (mpg, m2v, mkv, avi) on a DVD+RW and
->It plays on the computer perfectly, all chapters.
->It played on the home DVD player but after the second video it started to play and pause and it was difficult to switch to next chapter...basically freezing.
->It did not play on the car DVD player. Error. I know it is able to read DVD+RW, play NTSC, play DIVX, play avi, m2v and mpg (not mkv).

I will try it on a DVD-R using only one file type (avi) and see if it plays in the car. I don't know what else to do if it doesn't work.

Thanks for your reply though. You are awesome.

Collapse -
About DVDRW media.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2009 9:21 PM PDT

In general, "Players" have a harder time with RW media. Try DVD+R and DVD-R as you will find one player like one over the other. And the moment you think DVD-R works all over a "Player" will refuse DVD-R but play DVD+R.
Bob

PS. Someday there may be a FAQ on that. Such as this one noting AudioCD on CDRW -> http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq04.html#S4-23 which writes "trying to use CD-RW media, your odds of success are worse than with CD-R. CD-RW discs simply won't play on most CD players."

Collapse -
unable to go to next/previous video. Do i need a new program
by MrFletch / July 21, 2009 12:47 PM PDT

DVD-R plays good on the DVD player however i am unable to go to the next or previous track by pressing it on the remote. I think the problem is that DVD Flick allows each movie to be added as a title but not a chapter, so the 5th movie added is seen as Chapter 1 Title 5. The workaround is having to speed up the video to x3 so that i can quickly go to the next video or the slow route is having to go to the menu and manually selecting the title i want to play.

I am not sure but i believe if i can add them as new chapters then i will be able to go to the next or previous video by the press of a remote button but DVD Flick seems to only add videos as a title and i dont see an option for adding/modifying/editing chapters.

Is what i desire possible? do i need to find a new program?

Collapse -
About DVD FLICK.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 10:04 PM PDT

It has great documentation so I don't answer that question. But many need more features so my answer is yes, you'll want to shop around for more capable (read money) softwares.
Bob

Collapse -
DVD Creator
by aimeegirl / August 7, 2009 1:05 PM PDT
DVD Creator-Burn various video formats to DVD discs, Supports all popular video formats including AVI, MPEG, DAT, MPG, WMV, ASF, MP4, 3GP and VOB.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.