Computer Help

General discussion

burn more than 80 minutes to CD? will DVD work on CD?

by SusSche / January 22, 2005 5:22 AM PST

I have downloaded a lecture that is ~ 2 hours, 4 minutes in an MP3 audio file format. It's a large file = 115,732 KB. I would like to burn it to a CD for a friend who doesn't have access to listen to the streaming version on line. No, neither of us has an I-pod or equivalent.

The blank CD's that I have state that they only will only store 80 minutes. Will there ever be a blank CD on the market that will hold more? Could I try to use a DVD disk since they seem to be able to hold more data, or are the two formats incompatible?

My CD-RW Drive states that it is 48x/24x/48x. Don't know what that means? Could someone explain? Does the speed that it writes to the disk have anything to do with how compressed it is? Or is the limiting factor the file size, not the rate at which it is recorded? Is there difference in quality for the different write speeds? I know that I'm sounding stupid here, but I honestly don't know.

I have Roxio CD Creator 6. (yes, I wish that I had held out and paid more for Nero = my bad) I haven't tried burning it yet. I looked in the manual and you can record large files over multiple disks. I just thought that it would be more graceful to be able to fit it all on one.

Eventually I may be interested in getting an external DVD burner, but can't afford to now. Even if I did have the DVD burner, if I recorded audio on to it, would it be playable on a regular CD drive that can read re-writables? Is it the format of the disk itself, (CD vs DVD) or is it the way that it is recorded a determining factor?

Thanks for your time!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: burn more than 80 minutes to CD? will DVD work on CD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: burn more than 80 minutes to CD? will DVD work on CD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sort of and no
by Yew / January 22, 2005 5:29 AM PST

There are I think 99 minute CDs, but they're fairly hard to come by and tend to have a high failure rate on the select few drives that will accept them.

A DVD would likely be able to store about 120 minutes, or 2 hours, but you can't play those on a regular CD player unless it specifically states that it accepts DVD audio.

What I would do, is just burn the MP3 file to a CD. Assuming your friend has a computer and a program such as WinAmp, you're good to go. Sometimes all it takes is a little creative thinking.

Collapse -
If the file is too large
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: Sort of and no

to burn onto one CD, use an MP3 splitter program to split it into two.

I use mp3splitter, and it seems to work fine, (although mine is a trial version and will only split into 3 parts).

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark
by SusSche / January 24, 2005 6:31 AM PST

Thanks for the reply!

It's good to know that there is such a program as the MP3splitter. Ultimately it would be helpful to be able to split the large file into smaller segments if I could have control over "when"? If I could find an appropriate gap in the lecture, it might be better to split it there rather than having the Roxio program do it when the first disk is full.

Perhaps the safest bet would be to split the program into two segments, then rename it, saving only the first portion. I could burn that to disk one. Then I could download it again without overwriting it and try to split it at a slightly earlier time, saving the longer second portion this time for disk two, so that I know there will be an overlap.

I may be worrying about loosing data when it might not even be a problem. I have a tendency to make things more difficult than they need to be. Especially with computers Wink

Collapse -
Thank Yew
by SusSche / January 24, 2005 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: Sort of and no

Thanks for your reply.

I know that it's usually best to keep it simple, but it's unfortunately not my first inclination. Wink

Chances are it will be easier for my friend to use 2 CDR's rather than mess with the possibility of her not being able to read one burned from a DVD burner ... that I don't even have yet.

Collapse -
Why does that matter?
by Yew / January 24, 2005 9:23 AM PST
In reply to: Thank Yew

A CD holds 650-700MB of data. The MP3 file is less than 200MB. Where's the problem?

Just burn the MP3 onto a data CD, skipping the conversion to digital audio. Then your friend can just play the same MP3 file you have, on her computer, or even a stereo that supports MP3 playback.

Collapse -
My solution
by Tom Aikman / January 24, 2005 6:49 AM PST

I use Audacity to edit mp3 files. It is free but it takes a little practice to use. You could split your file into as many parts as you wish.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.