Audio & Video Software

General discussion

.BUP .IFO and .VOB file extensions

by clockdoc2020 / August 4, 2004 2:04 AM PDT

I brought home a DVD-R of our snorkeling excursion in the Red Sea off the coast of Egypt. Windows Media Player does not recognise these file extensions and cannot play it. We previewed the original DVD on the boat and purchased a copy from the Diving Company. Does anyone know anything about these file extensions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: .BUP .IFO and .VOB file extensions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: .BUP .IFO and .VOB file extensions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: .BUP .IFO and .VOB file extensions
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2004 3:30 AM PDT

Actually nothing.

You have a DVD and need DVD playback software such as PowerDVD or other.

What DVD player software do you have?

Bob

Collapse -
QUESTION
by DEBNRICK / September 15, 2011 1:00 PM PDT

I HAVE A MUSIC DVD SOMEONE MADE ME,, AND WHEN I STICK IT IN MY DVD PLAYER IT SAYS PLAYBACK MIGHT NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR THIS DISK,, CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GET THIS DVD TO PLAY IN MY PLAYER,,,THANKS SO MUCH DEBBIE

Collapse -
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2011 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: QUESTION

Does it play on a PC?
And what files are on this DVD?

Collapse -
DVD PROBLEMS
by DEBNRICK / September 16, 2011 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell more.

YES IT PLAYS ON MY PC,, A FRIEND BURN ME A CONCERT OF SHADOW KING WITH LOU GRAMM,, IT WANT PLAY IN MY DVD PLAYER IN THE BEDROOM OF COURSE ITS A CHEAP DVD PLAYER,.. ANYWAY I USED NERO AND BURNED ANOTHER OF THIS DVD,, AND I'M WONDERING IF IT WILL DO THE SAME THING IF I MAKE ANOTHER DVD AND PLAY IT IN MY PLAYER..I JUST WAS WONDERING THEY SHOULD BE SOME WAY TO USE SOME KINDA OF SOFTWARE OR I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE WORD IS TO CONVERT THIS,, ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED,,THANKS DEBBIE

Collapse -
PAL and NTSC format
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 16, 2011 12:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
DVD
by DEBNRICK / September 16, 2011 6:26 AM PDT

THIS DVD CAME FROM THE NEVERLANDS AND ITS A DVD+R,, SO I DON'T KNOW IF THATS THE PROBLEM OR MAYBE ITS NOT BEEN FINALIZED,, THANKS DEBBIE

Collapse -
Now that's a small clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2011 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD

I wonder if the DVD is PAL formatted.

Until I see some answers to questions like what files are on the DVD as seen by the PC I can't share more about how to convert it.

I'm going to pan the region code idea. If it was that, most PCs will balk.

Bob

Collapse -
DVD
by DEBNRICK / September 16, 2011 9:57 AM PDT

HOW CAN I TELL YOU ABOUT THE FILES BOB,, ITS JUST A MUSIC VIDEO THAT SHE BURNED FOR ME WHERE SHE GOT THE ORGINAL I DON'T KNOW,,ANY ADVICE,,THANKS DEBBIE

Collapse -
Netherlands
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 16, 2011 10:35 AM PDT

The Netherlands uses PAL format for television and video recording equipment.
If the DVD is PAL format, it will not play on USA televisions.

For a list of countries that use PAL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

Collapse -
DVD
by DEBNRICK / September 17, 2011 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Netherlands

I CAN COPY THE DVD WITH MY NERO AND THEN CAN'T I USE MY SOFTWARE TO CONVERT IT AND IT WILL PLAY ON MY DVD PLAYER,,THANKS DEBBIE

Collapse -
Re: DVD
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 17, 2011 12:39 AM PDT

Not really clear (and too much CAPITALS). Let me see:

1. You can copy the DVD and it will play on your DVD player. That seems OK.
2. You can copy the DVD and then you can't use you software to convert the copy. Then, I should say, use your software to convert the original. Problem solved?

Kees

Collapse -
.bup .ifo .vob files
by pramanis / January 30, 2013 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: Re: DVD

How to insert these dvd .bup .ifo .vob files to webpage html code. Please help.
Thanking you again
SP

Collapse -
This 2004 post is now closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: .bup .ifo .vob files

Make a new post and tell more. Sticking files on a web page is pretty easy. But you'll need a web host.

Collapse -
As it has been suggested;
by ahtoi / September 17, 2011 9:11 AM PDT

This could be a pal/ntsc thing, or it could be a region number thing...but in any case, Nero can solve that problem (at least my version can). So just give it a try.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.