Computer Help forum

General discussion

Built-in Card Reader doesnt work after reinstalling windows?

by Jman787 / August 15, 2008 4:09 AM PDT

I just reinstalled windows vista (on my gateway laptop) and now when i put an SD card into my card reader - nothing happens and when i go to "My Computer" it doesnt even show it

Any ideas?

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Built-in Card Reader doesnt work after reinstalling windows?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Built-in Card Reader doesnt work after reinstalling windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2008 4:48 AM PDT

After Vista what drivers did you install? Hint: It's not automatic.

Collapse -
none
by Jman787 / August 15, 2008 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: That's proper.

i wasnt sure what to do - can you help me out and tell me what i should do?

Thanks a lot!

Collapse -
Can't help. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2008 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: none

When you post you should be seeing these words -> Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

All I can do with what information you did supply is note that it shouldn't work and to "install the machine's drivers."

Collapse -
okay....
by Jman787 / August 17, 2008 12:44 AM PDT

so i can put up my system info but im not sure which other info you need ( I dont know what to tell you about the card reader itself)

Collapse -
With each post you make, are you seeing this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2008 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: okay....
Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

It's likely many are not seeing this anymore as you see too many members posting without make, model, etc. Without that information a direct answer is unlikely.

If you are not seeing these words, please post in our "Forum feedback" forum so we can get someone to look into why.
Bob
Collapse -
I answered your other question. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 17, 2008 3:40 AM PDT

before Bob locked it, with this:

If you used the restoral CDs or restoral partition on the HD, the drivers should be supplied. If you reinstalled from a Vista CD you'll need to go to the laptop web page since you didn't supply the make and model.

But as Bob says, we can be of no help without the make and model of the PC, or an answer to my question above.

Collapse -
my info
by Jman787 / August 17, 2008 11:36 PM PDT

I have a ML-6703 (32-Bit) gateway laptop running windows vista home premium and i used the windows vista os cd that cam ewith my computer to reinstall windows.

Anything else needed?

Collapse -
Is this your laptop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2008 11:44 PM PDT
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2007/Oasis/1014296R/1014296Rnv.shtml

Clicking on Drivers I read "Windows XP and Vista (32/64-bit) TI Media Card Reader Driver"

But before I install that wouldn't you install "Motherboard Chipset Windows Vista Driver Information" first?

-> Please tell us how many times you've installed any version of Windows. This can help clarify whether you know about these drivers.
Bob
Collapse -
its working now
by Jman787 / August 18, 2008 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this your laptop?

thanks - i tried installing the drivers again from the website and it worked

Collapse -
(NT) And we learned something, good work!
by Coryphaeus / August 18, 2008 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: its working now
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.