Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Built-in Application to Scan Documents

by wrytat / July 5, 2005 6:42 PM PDT

Is there any built-in application in Windows XP that I can make use of to scan documents?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Built-in Application to Scan Documents
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Built-in Application to Scan Documents
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP has a scanner and camera wizard
by glb613 / July 5, 2005 8:19 PM PDT

found through all programs, accessaries then scanner and camera wizard. There you can use the native XP twain drivers/interface and scan. You will have to select a folder for storage but that isn't difficult.

Collapse -
Camera and Scanner Wizard..
by christy / July 6, 2005 12:27 AM PDT

glb613,

On my computer, the wizard is not found at All Programs>Accessories, nor at any where else. I have Windows XP Pro SP2. I thought I need to install it from Add/Remove >Windows Components, but it is not found there. Is the wizard install by default ? Whyn don't I have it ? Thanks.

christy

Collapse -
Do you have a scanner installed?
by glb613 / July 6, 2005 2:56 AM PDT

You must have a device installed for that program to work.

Collapse -
Camera and Scanner Wizard....not found.
by christy / July 6, 2005 8:13 AM PDT

glb613,

Thank you for your response. I do have a scanner installed (parallel port model, with drivers specificly for XP). It is not that the program (the wizard) is not working - I am not able to locate the wizard, if indeed it is on my computer ! In fact, this is the first time I have heard of the wizard (and surprised !). Thanks.

christy

Collapse -
I have the scanner and camera wizard
by glb613 / July 6, 2005 8:27 AM PDT

within the accessaries program on computer where I have a scanner connected and installed. I don't recall doing anything to get it. If you have your scanner on and go to the control panel, is it listed under scanners and cameras?

Collapse -
I don't have it !
by christy / July 6, 2005 9:11 AM PDT

I have the scanner connected and turned on. It is listed at Control Panel under Scanners and Cameras, where in, I tested the scanner at "properties", and it "successfully completed the diagnostic test". Nowhere can I find the wizard ! Do you know the file name for the wizard ? Perhaps it is somehow missing on my computer, and I have to copy it (to system32 folder ?) from my XP CD. Thanks.

christy

Collapse -
Try this
by glb613 / July 6, 2005 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't have it !

Turn on your scanner, open the control panel, go to scanners and cameras, right click on your scanner and choose ''get picture using scanner wizard'' or ''scan''. Post back if it works or not.

Why you don't have that listed in all programs/accessaries, I don't know. I also have the option of using either the twain drivers that came with my HP or XP's when I open my scanning program.

Collapse -
Couldn't find
by wrytat / July 6, 2005 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this

I also couldn't find the scanner and camera wizard. I tried right clicking, and still I couldn't find it. How?

Collapse -
try this
by jonah jones / July 6, 2005 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Couldn't find

start
settings
control panel
double click 'scanners and cameras'
on the left there should be 'add an imaging device' (or 'imaging tasks')
click it and you get the 'welcome to scanner and camera wizard' screen

Collapse -
C & S Wizard...
by Papa Echo / July 6, 2005 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: try this

Found that - not obvious that it is the wizard looked for, but upon opening it, it is a wizard for installing imaging devices, but nothing about "managing" the images, e.g. After a device is installed, you can use the Scanners and Cameras Wizard to download and save pictures on your computer in a folder you specify. You can also view device properties, delete pictures from your camera, or print photos. You can even test your device to make sure everything is working properly. (From Help & Support)

Collapse -
Re Try this...
by christy / July 6, 2005 2:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this

Right clicking my scanner...there were no ''get picture using scanner wizard'' or ''scan'' options, but only ''Cancel'' and ''Properties''. My scanner program and other image accquiring apps (Photo shop, Ulead iPhoto Plus) allow me to choose only the driver (MiraScan) of my scanner (Acer 310P - a bit oldish but with XP drivers, and works), which leads me to believe that some file or files is missing, although I am able to get to the ''Installation Wizard'' as described by Papa Echo in his post below.

christy

Collapse -
acquiring image from scanner
by glennlee / July 6, 2005 3:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Re Try this...

If you have installed the driver that came with your scanner, try this. Use any of your photo manipulation programs (photoshop or U-lead will do). From the file menu drop down options,
select "acquire". You will then see your scanner option listed. When you select the scanner, your driver will bring up a preview screen with scanning options. Select the options and select preview option. After scanner has scanned, crop the scanned image as desired, and then select "scan", and scanner will scan the image to include just the cropped view you selected. Now exit from scanner window, leaving you in photoshop or U-lead. The scanned photo should be there. Good luck.

Collapse -
for glennlee -acquiring immages from a scanner.
by christy / July 6, 2005 6:16 PM PDT

glennlee,

Thank you for your input. I know perfectly well how to work my scanner, acquiring the Twain source, and then acquiring the image, etc., but that is not the problem. The present issue is with XP's Cameras and Scanners Wizard, which I do not seem to have, but which seems to be a feature or component of and installed with Windows XP; and of which can be selected as a ''source'' for acquiring an image. Are you using XP Pro SP2 ? Do you have ''Cameras and Scanners Wizard'' at Start>All Programs>Accessories>...?

christy

Collapse -
Why don't you simply use the scanning
by glb613 / July 6, 2005 8:08 PM PDT

program that came with the scanner? It is a lot easier than going through all of this. As as posted earlier, most photo editing programs will have a feature built in to scan photos. In my opinion, you are making this harder than it needs to be.

Collapse -
scanning program...
by christy / July 6, 2005 8:30 PM PDT

I am using the program that came with the scanner. As for "making this harder than it needs to be", it is irrelevant. My posts are not about how to scan or what programs to use, but I am seeking information on the XP "Cameras and Scanners Wizard" - it seems that you have it, but another and I do not, and I am trying to seek reasons why. If I do not have it, how do I get it ? It seems a very good complement to a scanner program.

christy

Collapse -
you do have it
by jonah jones / July 6, 2005 9:08 PM PDT
In reply to: scanning program...

BUT...as it is NOT an 'accessory' per se, there is no reason for it to be listed as such...

try this
start
settings
control panel
double click 'scanners and cameras'
on the left there should be 'add an imaging device' (or 'imaging tasks')
click it and you get the 'welcome to scanner and camera wizard' screen

this --> It seems a very good complement to a scanner program is wrong, due to the fact that after installing your scanner/camera, you have no further need for the "Cameras and Scanners -INSTALLATION- Wizard" -

good luck

Collapse -
You wrote
by glb613 / July 6, 2005 9:54 PM PDT

"I am seeking information on the XP "Cameras and Scanners Wizard" - it seems that you have it, but another and I do not"

I have no idea why I have it listed in all programs/accessaries but I do. I can also access the same program through the control panel. On my computer, the scanner and camera wizard is not just to install a scanner. If my scanner is on, I can scan using the native XP twain drivers/program. If I open Paperport, that is the progam I use, I have the choice of using the twain drivers that came with my unit or XP's. I didn't do anything but install my HP 1350 with the software that came with it. So why it isn't listed on your computer is anyone's guess.

Collapse -
duh! two people+one thread=mess
by jonah jones / July 6, 2005 9:15 PM PDT

Christy:
I do have a scanner installed (parallel port model, with drivers specificly for XP). It is not that the program (the wizard) is not working - I am not able to locate the wizard, if indeed it is on my computer

as you have a scanner installed and working, the wizard will not appear...

if you need to see it, just to be "sure" you have one, follow the instructions...

Collapse -
Re: you do have it
by christy / July 6, 2005 10:21 PM PDT

Ok- I can follow instructions, and Yes, I do have the Wizard, but what I have is only for ''Installation'', not for other taskes mentioned by glb613, or quoting Papa's quote:'' ''After a device is installed, you can use the Scanners and Cameras Wizard to download and save pictures on your computer in a folder you specify. You can also view device properties, delete pictures from your camera, or print photos. You can even test your device to make sure everything is working properly. (From Help & Support)'' '' Here, I can only test the device.

christy

Collapse -
just guessing here
by jonah jones / July 6, 2005 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: you do have it

but the wizard will only "test" a device that has already been "installed"

which means that what you say does'nt make sense?

I do have the Wizard, but what I have is only for ''Installation'', not for other taskes mentioned by glb613, or quoting Papa's quote:'' Here, I can only test the device

this -->{b}''After a device is installed, you can use the Scanners and Cameras Wizard to download and save pictures on your computer in a folder you specify. You can also .........delete pictures from your camera, or print photos.............. (From Help & Support) is, i fear, "windows geek-speak", i.e. the blurb was written by a M'soft technician who already knows what it does and has skipped a few steps in his explanation....

jonah

Collapse -
MS technician...
by christy / July 7, 2005 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: just guessing here

After installation, if I right click my scanner, go to properties (only one of two choices), general tab, there is a button to test the scanner....

---> MS technician missed a few steps ? So Help and Support is not so helpful after all. Good lesson.

Well, as they say, life goes on !

christy

Collapse -
Re: You wrote.
by christy / July 6, 2005 10:10 PM PDT

glb613,

Thank you for your response. I think only you understand the situation. I do have the Wizard, but, as mentioned by Papa Echo, it is for "Installation" only, and I do not have options for other taskes mentioned by you. I am guessing - perhaps it has to do with the scanning programs installed ? No one knows ! Perhaps I should forget it, and get on with life !

christy

Collapse -
excuse me, but you asked " Is there any built-in application
by jonah jones / July 6, 2005 10:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: You wrote.

in Windows XP that I can make use of to scan documents?"

the answer is "yes"
the application, "built in" can be found via "help"

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

Using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, you can view, rotate, and perform basic tasks with image documents, including fax documents, without opening an image editing program. You can transfer pictures to your computer from a digital camera or scanner, and you can view images as thumbnails. You can also view your pictures in a slideshow and annotate your fax documents.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) wrytat, please take note.
by christy / July 7, 2005 12:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you
by wrytat / July 7, 2005 2:48 PM PDT

I think the Wizard thing is only for Plug-and-Play device. And I also couldn't get a transfer pictures to your computer from a digital camera or scanner option at the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Most probably it's because the driver of my scanner is not XP compatible, and there won't be any XP compatible driver.

Anyway, I think I just have to get a cheap image editor that can help me use the scanner as my 'cost-saving' company isn't willing to buy a cheap, new scanner. Thank you for your help and advice anyway.

Collapse -
i hate to say this....but,
by jonah jones / July 7, 2005 6:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

if this--> Most probably it's because the driver of my scanner is not XP compatible, and there won't be any XP compatible driver is true.

then this--> I think I just have to get a cheap image editor that can help me use the scanner won't help you...

it's a catch 22 situation, if your scanner is not XP compatible, then no image editor (cheap or otherwise) will help you use the scanner...

put simply, if the scanner won't install (XP doesn't recognise the driver/s), then no program will help you....

sorry bout that Sad

jonah

Collapse -
You wrote
by glb613 / July 7, 2005 8:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

"Most probably it's because the driver of my scanner is not XP compatible, and there won't be any XP compatible driver."

Had I known that, I would have told you nothing will work. You must have a working scanner for any program or wizard to operate it. Scanners are cheap and easy to install. Most come with a program included for scanning.

Collapse -
Built-in Application to Scan Documents
by Themisive / July 8, 2005 12:00 AM PDT

There is a programme to let you do that, and reading what the otheres have said, it seems that your sortcut to it has been accidentally deleted, you'll find it at:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wiaacmgr.exe

highlight this, then right click and seclect Send to, and from the dropdown list select desktop (creat shortcut).

All you need to do now is to bring up your start menu (right click on Start and select explore) make your menu half size and place that shortcut into the Scanners and Camers section, then rename it to Scanner and Camera Wizard

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.