Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Question

Building a website?

by Kickinupdust206 / April 28, 2011 1:22 AM PDT

Hi there, I'm currently in the process of teaching myself how to build a website and need your help! Alot of reviews I've read have been very positive about Dreamweaver, but I've noticed that Dreamweaver doesn't come cheap. Does anyone have any good advice on how to build a website? Would you recommend Dreamweaver? Have you found cheaper products that are just as good, if not better, than Dreamweaver? Any advice you can provide me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Building a website?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Building a website?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you are building a fairly
by Sovereign Forum moderator / April 28, 2011 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Building a website?

static website, you could use a program like Dreamweaver, Expression Web, or Kompozer (free).

If you intend to have anything dynamic, I would look at content management systems such as Wordpress (free) or Drupal (free).

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Answer
Free Software
by aparnashivapura / April 28, 2011 7:39 PM PDT

EditPlus is a open source website editor software which you can use to build good website, provided you have sound HTML knowledge.

Collapse -
Sadly it seems, not entirely free
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 28, 2011 7:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Free Software

From their web site;
http://www.editplus.com/download.html

"EditPlus Text Editor is distributed as Shareware. You can download the evaluation version and try it for 30 days. If you find it useful and decide to keep using EditPlus Text Editor after the evaluation period has expired, you must buy a license."

So, only a free evaluation trial for 30 days.

Mark

Collapse -
Website builder / ecommerce site builder
by jefrey36 / May 14, 2011 9:14 PM PDT

It realy depands on the purpose of the site you want to create..is that a business site online store?
if that's the case I recommand site building platform such as :
Wix - for basic wesite..it's Flash-based
Izzonet - for ecommerce wesite / online store - PHP based

If you're looking for creating it yourself for a school project or somthing you can use wordpress or jommla - their bith open source but you need a technichal knoledge for that.

Collapse -
Answer
Dreamweaver is a excellent design tool but...
by Updateable / May 13, 2011 10:20 AM PDT

If your goals are to build websites and/or you are a student of website design, then I would definitely recommend Dreamweaver. If, however, you are a business owner looking save some money on a website, I would suggest re-evaluating effective usages of your time.

Collapse -
Answer
W3Schools
by TheComputerMaster / May 18, 2011 5:22 AM PDT

Yes, Dreamweaver CS5 is the best in my opinion, but if you are first starting web design dont spend a lot of money. If I were you I would first go to www.w3schools.com which has great referance for most web languages. Also a great book for learning HTML (the language you should learn first) is Smashing HTML5 by Bill Sanders. This book will teach you all the basics of web design. As for your IDE problem I would go with the Dreamweaver trial which can be downloaded from Adobe's website.

Best of luck!

Collapse -
Answer
Build from scratch or with CMS
by elephantblogger / May 29, 2011 9:27 PM PDT

There is a real trend towards moving away from building websites from scratch with programs such as dreamweaver to using content management systems for the layout (cms).

You can build excellent websites from scratch but to make them look good takes a fair amount of skill.

Using a CMS you can get a professional or free theme that does all the design and layout and all you have to do is add content.

WordPress is the most popular system; although it is known as a blogging platform it can be used to build pretty much any website.

There are other systems such as Drupal and Joomla but I have the most experience with WordPress. It is easy and can be extended with forums, shopping carts and about 1000 other addons with "plugins".

Sample some designs here:

http://wordpress.org/showcase/

http://www.woothemes.com/

Note that a CMS based system does require some upkeep as the dynamic nature makes it a more likely target when it comes to hacker attacks.

Check your wordpress security at places such as:
http://www.sucuri.net
http://hackertarget.com/wordpress-security-scan/

These sites provided a quick security check that does not require any installed plugins.

http://wordpress.com provides free sites that you can extend or use just to play with the system.

Collapse -
Thanks For Sources Of Wordpress Themes and Security Sources
by harrietlucia / January 1, 2012 6:33 PM PST

@Kickinupdust206 ,Very Nice,You are presenting real time facts here,and all most every one showing interest on these techniques of development in recent days,i think it was also one part of developing using the available resources Effectively,cost efficient and getting results quickly as well. Your references for Wordpress Web Development Securities are well.
and WordpressThemes Sources also good to see.
Thank you.

Collapse -
Answer
Wordpress
by mayor5 / June 15, 2011 8:06 PM PDT

I have worked with WordPress and it's really very easy to use. I would recommend WordPress. Very dynamic and easy to change if any updating is required.

Collapse -
Answer
ur website
by chrisf1288 / June 28, 2011 4:13 AM PDT

Well dreamweaver isnt worth all that it costs even though it is pretty sick, all you really need is Notepad and Knowledge to create the website, that is for coding it atleast.

Collapse -
Answer
suggestion to build up the website
by 15935762 / August 4, 2011 1:41 PM PDT

Dreamweaver helps out a lot while designing more and in my opinion some to extent for developing, it just gave you the static web pages and don't gave you the dynamic web pages, There are many new things came in the market which are almost free and you develop your website easily to these platform with a little effort , These source are named as open source platform I used these source to develop my http://www.templatemagician.com/category/Magento-templates">Magento Templates whereas I used Dreamweaver and Photoshop for the designing purpose like http://www.templatemagician.com/category/prestashop-themes">Prestashop Themes . If you are unable to used these platform then, I would like t suggest you If you want some thing cheap to develop your website go and get the Templates for your website at cheap and affordable rates, once you get the templates you need to install it and your website would be ready.

Collapse -
Your advice is a little flat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2011 1:50 PM PDT

If you can't master web links, I wonder how good those themes are?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.