Desktops forum

Resolved Question

Building a computer and...

by lisa_blakey / May 5, 2012 1:17 AM PDT

I can not for the life of me think of what you call the part that connects new computers to your home wi-fi network (i.e. the part you need so you can have more than one computer on your network).

I know it sounds silly but it is one of those deals where something is on the tip of your tongue but you can't think of the word. When you are done laughing, please help.

Thanks Happy

lisa_blakey has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Building a computer and...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Building a computer and...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by lisa_blakey

Collapse -
by pgc3 / May 5, 2012 1:59 AM PDT

I think what you are alluding to is a wireless router. Most electronic box stores carry them, there are numerous manufacturers so they are easy to come by. They are often times used in conjunction with another device, a modem and there are a couple of different types, cable and dsl, the modem links to the router via an ethernet cable (looks like a fat phone line) and you are in business. There is another device that is quite commonly used by (sometimes provided by) internet service providers and that device is called a "GATEWAY" basically it is a modem/router combination unit and can be either cable or dsl, depending on the server. Next time you are in an Office Depot or Staples, take a look in the tech department and you can see what these items are for yoursel. Good luck!

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks
by lisa_blakey / May 5, 2012 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Router
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions


Big screens for the big game

Still looking for the best TV deals ahead of Sunday's game? Here are our top three big screen picks.