Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"Bugs" crawling around on screen

by richncali / May 9, 2008 2:10 AM PDT

What is causing "bugs" to crawl on my screen...is this a virus?
I have Windows XP, Version 2002, Service Pack 2, HP Pavilion a1606n.
Thanks,
Rich

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Bugs" crawling around on screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Bugs" crawling around on screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Perhaps a screen print?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 9, 2008 2:43 AM PDT

I have no idea. Do you mean some software is making small bug like images appear to crawl around on the display screen?

Or do you mean actual, living, small insects crawling on the monitor display screen?

Please show us a screen print if it is bug like images. ImageShack will let you upload an image and post the url address here.

What do you use to protect your computer from viruses, spyware, and hackers?

Mark

Collapse -
"bug"
by richncali / May 9, 2008 2:52 AM PDT

I am using Norton...the "bugs" are just images crawling around in the screen when I leave my PC alone for awhile. When I can, I will send an image.

Collapse -
Check your Task Manager
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 9, 2008 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: "bug"

Right click the Taskbar, select Task Manager, then look in either the Applications tab or the Processes tab, see what is running when these appear.

You sure this isn't some sort of screen saver?

Mark

Collapse -
"bugs" on screen
by richncali / May 9, 2008 3:06 AM PDT

No, this is not a screensaver, but I will take up your suggestion to see what is running if and when this occurs again.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
bugs
by jimroad471 / May 15, 2008 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: "bugs" on screen

that is a screensaver

Collapse -
"bugs" on screen
by richncali / May 9, 2008 11:30 AM PDT

After the pc is left alone awhile, the "crawling bugs" appear on a blue backdrop and once I move the mouse my desktop comes back up, so I'm unable to determine from my taskbar what is running at that particular time. Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Collapse -
check your screen saver
by mementh / May 9, 2008 2:35 PM PDT
In reply to: "bugs" on screen

right click on desktop and look for properties and then screensaver (windows xp)

and you shoudl see the screensaver there.. should be that or i don't know what it is

Collapse -
I agree.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 9, 2008 7:06 PM PDT

Although you say this is not a screensaver, it bears all the hallmarks of one. In particular, the bugs only appear after a period of inactivity.

Has anyone sent you something recently in an email, perhaps a friend or such, with an attachment that you opened and it didn't seem to do anything immediately?

There are such screensavers around;
http://www.screensaver.com/ScreensaverLibrary.cfm?start=131&id=B#name

If you are convinced this is not a screensaver, then try a 2nd opinion on your anti-virus with an online scan here;
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

And an anti-spyware scan at http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

Eject everything they find.

Mark

Collapse -
Bugs
by sampler111 / May 23, 2008 5:19 PM PDT

Hi yes this is an old screen saver just change your Screen Saver and it will be fine.

Collapse -
"Bugs"
by richncali / May 24, 2008 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Bugs

Thanks, already done that and you are correct!

Collapse -
"Bugs" crawling around on screen
by Ajay2k8 / May 11, 2008 12:23 AM PDT

It sounds like you are having the same prblem as me, have you tried an anti-spyware prog?

Collapse -
Re: "Bugs" crawling around on screen
by Tufenuf / May 11, 2008 2:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
"Crawling Bugs"
by ardecoteau / May 14, 2008 4:39 AM PDT

I am having the same problem with this sudden screensaver that popped up on my computer yesterday! After the screen saver appeared my computer went dead, or shall I say turned off! I ran a new spyware on my computer and antivirus, and now the bugs are back, I'm not sure what this mean, does it mean someone could maybe hacking into my computer etc.? HELP!!!

Collapse -
"Bugs" on screen
by richncali / May 14, 2008 6:19 AM PDT

I ran several scans, including Norton, Search & Destroy, SmitFraud, and AVG 8.0 and still am having bug trouble. Any other explanations, resolutions?
Thanks,
Rich

Collapse -
Same prob here
by gjohnson_59 / May 14, 2008 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: "Bugs" on screen

Happened to me first time today . . . Happened when a client opened an email link which downloaded a rogue spyware program called WinIFixer. I thought I had uninstalled the darn stuff and ran a SpyBot scan which also had some deep reg hooks. Then ran AVG which found some older Trogans which had been on there for "who knows" how long. Still the anoying bugs pop up after about a minute of activity. Yes, it sound just like a screensaver but "none" is the scrsvr selection. It appears that a file called ctfmona.exe played part of the infeciton ... still looking for a fix to kill those pesky bugs . . .
Running Dell GX280
2.8gb Intel
XP sp2
1 gb ram
40 gb hd

Collapse -
bugs on screen
by cjf247 / May 15, 2008 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Same prob here

same problem- do a search for *.scr- there may be one called blackster- delete it. do a search for ctf*.*- you will find some recent files, perhaps ctfmona- it is an exe file- rename it and change the file extension to something else, I used exxx. that should get stop the bugs. good luck

Collapse -
Screen Bugs
by gjohnson_59 / May 15, 2008 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: bugs on screen

Found the blackster.scr, ctfmona.exe, and ctfmonb.exe -- did not even think about checking for those older .scr files and did notice those ctfmon files running in memory -- just did not go that extra step. Thanks a bunch -- scanned by two spywares and two antivirus progs -- NOW, I HOPE, Things are cleaned out -- was getting a bit embarassing -- everytime the bugs would start demolition and trek across the screen, the client had to imvite more and more people from down the hall just to gross 'em out!

Thanks!!

Collapse -
Bugs
by Dennis1957100 / May 16, 2008 9:10 AM PDT

Not sure what it is. Symantec doesn't define it yet. My friend has it. Locked up his hard drive. Even flows in safe mode. He can't access any files. Just the bugs eating his screen. Years ago ther was a prank "bug screensaver". This is not the same. Seems to be more sinister.

He said it started as the "You are infected" pop up. (Easy to disable) He clicked on the website, thinking it was from Microsoft, and boom. BUGS!

Collapse -
This worked
by justalasmar / May 19, 2008 10:33 AM PDT

I had the same problem after a spyware invasion. Everything was cleaned up except for those crawling bugs. Your solution worked. Thx man.

Collapse -
Bug problem resolved!
by richncali / May 19, 2008 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: This worked

Thanks for your input...now, I have another problem, not virus related, though...my bootup is verrry slooow, any suggestions?
Thanks again,
Richncali

Collapse -
what was it?
by mementh / May 19, 2008 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Bug problem resolved!

was it a screensaver or virii or WHAT ...

after all this your net price *REQUIRES* you to tell us what it was

Collapse -
"Bugs" resolved
by richncali / May 20, 2008 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: what was it?

I'm not sure but when I went into my "Display Properties" screen and then clicked onto "screensavers", I just selected "none" which then took care of the problem. I didn't have the bugs on my screensaver, so I'm not sure how they developed.

Collapse -
bugs on screen
by ramachandra.bk / May 22, 2008 4:50 AM PDT

I have same problem, i have windows XP, it starts as soon as windows started.it is not detected as virus, but i got an adware warning.

Collapse -
Did you see this reply? Link only.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 22, 2008 4:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Bugs
by lcarlson4876 / May 25, 2008 4:11 AM PDT

Thanks so much for your advice. I spent so many hours running virus and spyware updates all to no avail. Your instructions worked perfectly! Thanks again

Collapse -
"Bugs" issue resolved
by richncali / May 25, 2008 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Bugs

Thank you

Collapse -
This is malware
by jjlook / May 23, 2008 8:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Same prob here

A friend of mine was in a panic, had the bugs on his screen. The wallpaper was blue with a nasty message in a red box (can't remember the exact text, but something about this machine is infected with viruses or something). The malware also installed a supposed virus software package. When I ran it, it reported that it found over 20 viruses, and wouldn't remove them until you paid for the software. When I went to remove the fake virus software, It gave a nasty message along the lines it would reload all nasty stuff it had removed if you cancel with them, etc. After struggling for many hours with this thing, I finally restored from a saved restore point prior to the installation of this thing.
The bugs acted somewhat like a screen saver but they weren't really a screen saver. It was a really evil piece of malware to scare the daylights out of people and try to get them to send money.

Collapse -
Did you ever send us that screen print?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 15, 2008 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: "Bugs" on screen

It will work even on screensavers.

Mark

Collapse -
Blackster
by Insp. Clouseau / May 22, 2008 10:04 AM PDT

Found BLACKSTER.SCR-0DD5803B.pf in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
and
blackster in C:\WINDOWS\system32
and deleted

Collapse -
Winfixer & Vundo Often Go Hand in Hand...
by tobeach / May 14, 2008 5:18 PM PDT

might try link on this page about winfixer removal. Sorry it's a 2006 version but suggestions should get you in right direction.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninstall/1676/WinFixer-2006-1.2.118.0.html
----------- OR-------------
SuperAntiSpyware (SAS)is known for removing stubborn ones like winfixer (mentioned specifically by name) and there's a free version. Updates very frequently (built in updater). I currently don't use it as my main one as I found it took rather long to download updates and took rather long (but very thorough) to scan BUT I keep it on hand in case of emergency!!

I'd give it a try FIRST!!!

Lady M's (Mod) Settings & Procedure for SAS.

Download Superantispyware (SAS) free home version

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

Install it and double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.