Laptops

Question

Budget Laptop (< $600) for Graduate studies

by agpalm1 / November 17, 2011 4:06 AM PST

Hi, I am planning to buy a laptop within a range of $600 preferably Dell, HP, lenovo or Sony vaio. I am a multi-tasker and generally open too many browser page, word documents, pdf at once. Please suggest me any model which has i5 or i3 processor, atleast 13 inch screen, 4GB RAM, min 300 GB memory, inbuilt webcam.
Thank you

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Budget Laptop (< $600) for Graduate studies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Budget Laptop (< $600) for Graduate studies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Another member noted this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 5:19 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Budget Laptop
by leighdavidus / November 18, 2011 9:45 AM PST

Check the Asus - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 15.6" Display / 6GB Memory - Aluminum Lake Blue Hairline

Collapse -
Answer
The Usual Suspects
by paul_saute / November 18, 2011 10:13 AM PST

Under $500:
- Dell
- Acer
- HP
etc.

Collapse -
Suspect No. 1
by richteral / November 18, 2011 4:25 PM PST
In reply to: The Usual Suspects

All for under 500 bucks:

Collapse -
Microsoft Office doesn't deserve your money!
by opo2002 / November 19, 2011 8:11 AM PST
In reply to: The Usual Suspects

Before you shell out $100+ for MS-Office, ask yourself this: With all the time it takes to develop freeware applications that have 3D intensive graphics and are much more difficult to develop than a word processing program, why does Microsoft get away with charging so much money for a word processing program that doesn't really have any different functionality than it did 10 years ago? The answer: There is no good reason for this. Don't buy MS-Office for word processing or creating spreasheets, and instead go download Openoffice at openoffice.org- it is a FREE and FULL office suite with all the functionality that you probably will ever need, AND it's compatible with all the office file types (.doc, .xls, etc...)

Collapse -
Answer
Manuacturers Outlets
by Zouch / November 18, 2011 10:23 PM PST

You might also want to check out the Outlet sites some manufacturers have, for example, HP and Dell, where "refurbished machines" are offered at significant discounts. These can be reworks, warranty repairs, discontinued models and such like (they rarely say which!). They usually come with a full manufacturer warranty but do check that on any you like the look of. Or try the retail stores for ex-demo units (usually discontinued models), which should also have at least the balance of warranty.

Collapse -
Answer
Lenovo or Sony Vaio ?? Might shell out $700
by agpalm1 / November 20, 2011 7:31 PM PST

Thank you Guys for the response. I am still stuck with some choices. I would like to buy either a Lenovo (Ideapad/ Thinkpad) or Sony Vaio but I am not able to decide the one. I am soon going to join a US university for graduate studies. Need Help !!!

Collapse -
At the university
by paul_saute / November 21, 2011 4:52 AM PST

Hi,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.