Windows Legacy OS forum

BSOD Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area Stop 0x50

by Girl_london / December 27, 2012 6:20 AM PST

Hi All,

First time newbie to the forum so please be bear with me.....

A desktop computer that I have been using running Windows XP Home Ed. [HE] SP3 has recently been experiencing multiple problems leading to a "BSOD" error stating Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area along with Stop 0x00000050 (WWWWWWW, XXXXXXXXX, YYYYYYYYY, ZZZZZZZZ).

Here's a short summary of the history of this problem:

1. Computer working fine but noticed Antivirus Firewall switching itself off
2. Contacted Antivirus Software Manufacturer who ran a clean/ process and advised to un-install and then re-install Antivirus Software [Mcafee].
3. Computer re-booted however Internet (using IE7, I believe) no longer working. Note: Checked on various other devices via ethernet cable and via wireless and confirmed internet, modem and cable not at fault since these devices showed full internet access.
4. Contacted Mcafee who couldn't fix or understand the issue suggested contacting OS provider [Microsoft].
5. Computer no completely unresponsive unable to access home page or log on due to BSOD with the above issues.
6. Miscrosoft suggest re-installation of Windows XP HE SP3 using CD.
7. Ran process to "repair" Windows via CD however was unable to continue passed "c:\windows>" prompt.
8. Contacted computer manufacturer [DELL] who also couldn't help with this issue.
9. Ran some pre-installed software that claimed it would locate and fix any computer problems which also did not work.
10. Am now running Windows with limited functionality using "safe mode restore option" when F8 key held down during restart.

Points to consider:
- No access to the computer outside of the "safe restore mode" as all other options such as "...last known good configuration, safe mode with networking etc.." crash default to the BSOD with the above error code.
- System restore points have been completely wiped clean so cannot revert computer back to a date when it was working fine.
- "Chkdsk" also shows no problems when run along with "chkdsk /f /r"
- I do not believe, or more likely, cannot tell if there is malware/a virus or trojan applications running on the machine. Did a check using "attrib" along with "attrib -ab" looking for .exe or .inf files though couldn't see anything such as this. Again it is possible that I am not sure what I should be looking for hence may have missed something.

That is a summarised version of events however if anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. The machine is DELL Dimension 8300 with a Pentium 4 processor. 1 GB of RAM. Before anyone says anything - yes it is a slightly older computer but it has been working very well up until the firewall problem.

Thanks and season's greetings to you all.

/of London

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BSOD Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area Stop 0x50
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BSOD Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area Stop 0x50
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Microsoft wrote about that error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2012 6:42 AM PST

You wrote you just installed Sp3 so be sure to understand that Microsoft will never add a note about SP3. That's part about what they mean end of support. You get to figure out the errors and extend what has been written.
Collapse -
Windows XP forum: BSOD Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area Stop 0x5
by Girl_london / December 27, 2012 10:35 PM PST

Still no luck with this as 1) The computer had SP3 pre-installed on the computer and 2) The CD to restore factory settings doesn't work - even when I use the one downloaded from Microsoft website.

Also whilst using the computer in "safe restore mode" I am starting to get "kernel32.dll" errors boxes repeatedly too as I attempt various functions e.g. viewing internet pages, opening documents etc. It does not stop me from performing tasks as all I do is click 'OK' each time. However it is highly interuptive and possibly related to the overall problem, so thought I should flag this too.

Thank you for your response...

/of London

Collapse -
The CD to restore factory settings doesn't work
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 12:16 AM PST

That tells you the machine is not in the shape it was from the factory. Either some extra thing is installed (video card, USB printer, etc.) or it needs repair.

The code 0x50 is almost useless at this point as we step back to see the bigger picture (The CD to restore factory settings doesn't work).

Collapse -
BSOD Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area Stop 0x50
by Girl_london / December 28, 2012 2:22 AM PST

Ok but would it be worth wiping the computer completely and then putting XP SP3 again. I really don't think all is lost and it is working well in "safe restore mode."
Thanks for the input though.......

Collapse -
Safe mode tells us little here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 2:26 AM PST

Once in a while you find that it means that there is some OS damage but to figure it out, you start with a fresh install. Some damage is not repairable without a guru on hand. You can see that at;threadListing

While I know how to recover from that, it requires the full OS DVD and a lot of steps.

Here we have an error and only the clues you provided which means what I can offer is restricted to those clues.

Since there are so many pests today, the percentage of machines we reload instead of fix the OS has gone much higher in the past years.

Collapse -
BSOD Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area Stop 0x50 (ReInstalled XP)
by Girl_london / December 28, 2012 6:10 AM PST

So I wiped everything clean and the computer seems to be working - although on Windows XP SP1. I now want to update it to SP3 plus add any AV software asap from Microsoft site but cannot get onto the Internet through IE.

I am aware that it could be that I need to update "network connections" but not aware of any CDs that were used to do this. I have run connection wizard and it keeps diverting to dial up mode. Only connections I can see are:

LAN or High Speed Connection:
1394 - Enabled/Firewalled

Dial Up:
Dellnet Disconnected

Broadband Connection Disabled/Firewalled (This is the one is the one I setup through the wizard insturctions).

Is this a common issue?

/of London

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 6:13 AM PST

XP is not user friendly when it comes to drivers. You need to chat with the maker and nail down the install procedure like you read at

Notice that install order matters and in this case the drivers were not on a web page.

Collapse -
(ReInstalled XP SP1 due BSOD - no networks)
by Girl_london / December 28, 2012 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

Right. Would these driver be compatible with Dell Dimension 8300 that is only running XP SP1? The caller mentions that they have a HP computer?

I guess I can always check with my manufacturer though too!

Much appreciated

/of London

Collapse -
If there is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 10:05 AM PST

It's over at and you input your service tag to find the drivers and MAYBE an install plan. If not, the one I linked to can be used as a guide to what order to install drivers.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.