PC Hardware forum

Resolved Question

bsod 0x0000003b

by rwp_17 / July 5, 2013 8:05 AM PDT

details as copied from bluescreen view(post full dump and system reboot)
bsod code: 0x0000003b
parameter1: 00000000`c000001d
parameter2: fffff800`030d8f5f
parameter3: fffff880`02961db0
parameter4: 00000000`00000000
caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe
caused by address: ntoskrnl.exe+75c00

system specs:
MOBO:msi 880g-e45 motherboard
CPU: AMD athlon II x2 255 regor 3.1ghz cpu
RAM: 8gb kingston ddr3-1333 ram
VIDEO: nvidia geforce gtx 550 ti 1gb pci-ex16(nvidia driver version 320.18)
-hitachi 500gb hard drive
-esystor 500gb hard drive
-maxtor 80gb hard drive
-lg dvd-ram optical drive
(all drives are connected to mobo with sata)
PSU: ocz zs series 650watt psu (according to online powers supply calculator my power demands top out at 453watts)
CASE: haf 912
FANS: top exhaust, and front and side intake

full memory dump

rwp_17 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: bsod 0x0000003b
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: bsod 0x0000003b
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by rwp_17

Collapse -
after swapping graphic card
by rwp_17 / July 15, 2013 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: bsod 0x0000003b

i've pinned it down to something with the nvidia graphics card i suspect it has to do with the fact that its sharing and irq address with the realtek onboard sound as the sound is the only other piece of hardware that shares its irq

Collapse -
got asus xonar pci sound card
by rwp_17 / July 17, 2013 11:14 PM PDT

gpt a pci sound card and disabled onboard audio using latest drivers (320.49 as of this writing) will wait and see if this bsod on me again if it does then i can confirm the conflict between nvidia and realtek devices

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2013 11:41 AM PDT
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980932 is notable but I'd yet to find anyone use dump files to fix these. I see most folk look for issues with the PC such as heat sink compound, trying it without running torrents and more. But the story is so light that I fear the worst.
Collapse -
wasn't using any 1394 devices though?
by rwp_17 / July 5, 2013 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

unless maybe does pci-e count?
os is windows 7 ultimate x64
i use comodo internet security
and it bsod like this after being left on for 2.5 days
then it bsoded again 0x0000000a (irql not less or equal etc)
and its bsoded like this before i re-installed windows(after i got and intel pci-ex1 nic to solve the nvidia realtek irq issue)
over the weekend i'll run memtest86 for at least 36 hours straight(gotta work anyway)
but in the mean time is there anything else this points to?

Collapse -
Not yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2013 12:11 PM PDT

The only story so far is that long on times seem to be a factor. Why on so long? Torrents?

Collapse -
just didn't shut it down
by rwp_17 / July 5, 2013 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Not yet.

i don't torrent often but when i did its was only once longer than 24 hours
and the reason i re-installed in the first place was because i thought norton might not have been removed fully though the fact that i've seen this before re-installing and haven't touched norton since limits the number of causes to hardware, drivers, or comodo internet security

Collapse -
So a reboot and it runs for days?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2013 3:00 AM PDT

Sorry but since torrents were used I bow out. Best of luck,

Collapse -
by rwp_17 / July 7, 2013 6:11 PM PDT

40 hours and 21 passes on memtest86+ v4,20 later my ram has come out squeaky clean not even a walking wounded bit (a bit that works sometimes but doesn't others usually due to heat but can be vdimm fluctuations)
that just leaves drivers or comodo. I haven't had this problem with comodo at or near install or with any previous version of comodo and no updates to comodo(excluding the usual virus db updates of course). so that leaves drivers, since this doesn't happen with my backup video card(msi ati radeon HD 6670 pcie x16 1GB) and the driver mentioned in nirsoft blue screen view is ntoskernel(the only kernel module i know of is nvidia) I'm pretty sure its the nvidia driver(version 320.18 - pny geforce gtx 550 ti pcie x16 1GB). I suspect the adaptive power management setting in 3d settings is causing problems so set to prefer maximum performance and I'll see if that solves the issue if no bsod by thursday then will post back then

Collapse -
That's part of the machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2013 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: welp

One moderator and I were tracking down an elusive BSOD and in the end it was the SSD. As I noted above you rarely find it with dump files.

Stories and details matter.

There is an issue with some torrent software as well as what else torrents usually fetch. For example if a torrent user is getting a movie and they have to open explorer to the folder with said movie a BSOD can occur.

The reason behind this is now legend and something of a shame that MSFT didn't tackle that. But once you get down to it, MSFT didn't write that part of the code.

But I thought I'd toss that out as an example where stories matter. Dumps don't.

Collapse -
by rwp_17 / July 8, 2013 8:03 AM PDT

useful information i do keep utorrent running in the background but the only torrents I've used are legitimate ones i play alot of different free to play mmorpgs and a few have a torrent as an option on how to download the client.(when i decide to go back to one game or another to reinstall) I'll have to find a way to assign magnet links to utorrent in opera so that i can shut off utorrent. I'll Google it.
i find torrents useful because i don't like relying on unknown software.

either way some research tells me that nvidia might have poor gpu voltage handling under adaptive power management mode in the global 3d settings(which i can see causing that 0x3b bsod and showing ntos driver because of nvidias kernel module and 0x0a was probably bad nvidia hd audio drivers (default microsoft provided ones)conflicting with realtek hd audio driver(my onboard audio) and with the comments i've read upgrading to 320.49 seems like it would do more harm than good soo i'll stick with it
a thought occurred to me maybe its not long on times maybe its the idle time?(it would make sense if its the adaptive power managment setting)
regardless this is the sit and wait phase a solution does no good if you don't know what fixed it lest ye run into the same problem again.

Collapse -
by rwp_17 / July 8, 2013 8:09 AM PDT

"There is an issue with some torrent software as well as what else torrents usually fetch. For example if a torrent user is getting a movie and they have to open explorer to the folder with said movie a BSOD can occur."

thats because said file was infected with a virus right?
that was one thought i had so i ran a rootkit scanner and it found nothing
and i trust comodo to alert me otherwise

Collapse -
I wish.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2013 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: torrents

It's about a CODEC issue and as CODECs are add ons to Windows they might not be all that great. Some will crash Explorer and some will take down the OS. This one is a very old issue predating Windows XP and has not seen a good fix from MSFT. But think about it, why should MSFT fix the OS to handle a crashing CODEC or handle a partial or corrupt image, video, document?

As to the torrent software some are leaky and eat memory till it runs out. There are other issues with torrents but when it comes to torrents I have to bow out. Some want support for dangerous activities.

Collapse -
hmm i see
by rwp_17 / July 8, 2013 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: I wish.

i have since shut down utorrent
and just added magnet protocol to programs.
so i no longer run utorrent in the background.
im still trying to track this down.

Collapse -
bsoded again
by rwp_17 / July 8, 2013 10:51 AM PDT

same code no luck

Collapse -
attempted upgrade to 320.49
by rwp_17 / July 8, 2013 12:05 PM PDT
In reply to: bsoded again

got it more or less installed but during install it bsoded 0x24 combined with previous issues im going to replace to hard drive... with an equally sized 10,000 RPM wd velociraptor.
anyone got any advice for the swapout im going to get the hdd tommorrow
will i be able to just clone it and be done with it? or should i do a full re-install?

Collapse -
just bsod again
by rwp_17 / July 8, 2013 12:39 PM PDT

0xd1 nuff said bad nvidia driver is bad gonna try 314.22

Collapse -
by rwp_17 / July 8, 2013 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: just bsod again

installed without a hitch i also went through and removed all appropriate references to nvidia in the registry and deleted all nvidia folder including updateus user this appears to have enabled a problem free installation of 314.22 which oddly is the version they compare the most recent one to (in the face of the whql release of 320.18) so i think this is considered stable for now anyway.
will wait and see if this solves my bsod woes hopefully it does.

Collapse -
it bsod again
by rwp_17 / July 9, 2013 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: 314.22

i forget the code but it did immediately after i maxed the settings on a game. but I've turned off anti-aliasing tried the same settings and it didn't bsod we'll see if i bsod again. at this point for lack of a better way to put this I'm throwing science at the wall and seeing what sticks maybe I'll have better luck once i get my hands on a line monitor maybe I'll discover some small drop in voltage over time or something like that.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 2:20 PM PDT
In reply to: it bsod again

I remember a discussion last year and the owner was chasing a lot of things but after 50 posts they revealed the name of the game. It was not funny to find that game's discussion board filled with posts about "BSOD when I ...."

Collapse -
oh right forgot bout that
by rwp_17 / July 9, 2013 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: it bsod again

its was an mmo perfect world international. only things i changed were distance and texture
i maxed them > click apply > bsod > i remembered reading something about antialiasing not liking nvidia cards so i turn it off try again and no bsod.

Collapse -
seatools for windows
by rwp_17 / July 9, 2013 8:22 AM PDT

just to be certain i ran seatools for windows on my laptop on all my drives from my desktop connect via usb adapter dongle and associated power supply dongle. 1 long generic test each and all passed.
this is getting stranger and stranger this narrows down the only even remotely suspect hardware to cpu, motherboard, psu, and graphics card, and nic card. okay throwing out motherboard and cpu because id be seeing other issues with either of those two that just leaves psu graphics and nic, nic is too new to be causing problems like this, that just leaves psu and graphics and the psu should be good its certified and from a reputable brand, dang that means its the graphics card with the way i've been seeing these issues

Collapse -
Or it's that rare other file system errror.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: seatools for windows

We've covered torrent software issues and more but let's toss more out.

If this was a laptop it would be sort of immune to small power line drop outs. I don't know where you live but in the USA I'm seeing more issues with desktops over long time periods and the "line monitor" has been used to catch small drops in AC power. At this length of use you may be expecting a lot. At the office we fit UPS to desktops that matter.

There's also issues with file systems so does it pass CHKDSK?

Collapse -
i'll run chkdsk then
by rwp_17 / July 9, 2013 10:08 AM PDT

hadn't ever experienced something like that with an ntfs file system i will run chkdsk and investigate on finding a line monitor.

Collapse -
chkdsk results
by rwp_17 / July 9, 2013 1:04 PM PDT

just ran chkdsk c: /F /R /B results say it found no errors still gotta try a line monitor

Collapse -
Let's simplify the system.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 2:21 PM PDT

For example, that 80GB drive is a little dated. Windows has been caught BSODing on old drives. No one really knows why. I've also cured a few by replacing SATA cables (tip: don't get them any longer than they have to be.)

Collapse -
okay then
by rwp_17 / July 9, 2013 3:10 PM PDT

i'll move the temp files and opera back and remove the drive then. the idea was to give a drive specificall to caches and temporary files etc theoretically to increase performance by moving the heavy read write stuff to a different drive i checked mfrg dates and my backup drive is from 2008 will it work?

Collapse -
of course
by rwp_17 / July 9, 2013 3:13 PM PDT

"I've also cured a few by replacing SATA cables (tip: don't get them any longer than they have to be.)"

mine are standard length cables standard red sata cables

Collapse -
drives removed
by rwp_17 / July 9, 2013 4:20 PM PDT

the only remaining drives are 2x 500gb 1 hitachi 2010 and a MDT 2008

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.