Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Browsers can't connect to Internet

by webacons / July 12, 2008 10:55 AM PDT

I'm running an HP Compaq computer with Vista Basic, Intel Celeron 356, Processor 3.3 GHz, RAM 512 MB, Hard Drive 120 GB. I know I don't have the strongest, or biggest computer, but it's worked well so far.

BUT, here's my problem: Lately I have problems loading my browser. I usually use Firefox but I also tried IE and they both can take up to 1 hour to finally get to my home page. I read my email online. Sometimes I can't even read my mail - it says it has a problem loading it. Other times I can read the mail, but when I try to respond, it says there's an error and the message can't be sent. Obviously, I can't do any surfing either.

My Internet provider wasn't any help. They ended up saying it might be my modem.

The thing is, one day everything works fine and the next it takes forever to get anywhere. If it is my modem, isn't it also the modem that connects the instant messenger? Because I can get the messenger without problems and it works fine - even when the browser won't work at all.

Another thing I tried when I'm having browser problems was to restart the computer. Sometimes that works and I don't have a problem with the browser.

Is something wrong with my computer? It's only 1 year old!

Thanks for any and all comments.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browsers can't connect to Internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browsers can't connect to Internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So is this a dial up modem?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2008 11:00 AM PDT

If so, please try another.

Collapse -
So sorry
by webacons / July 12, 2008 12:28 PM PDT

I failed to mention an important part. No I'm not on dial-up - I have Rogers/Yahoo highspeed DSL. There is no exterior problem - everything works fine and my connection is fine. I've had this problem over the last few months, but just every now and then. Lately, I've had browser connection problems for the last 3 days.

Collapse -
Since the instant messenger
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2008 12:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
I tried that, but
by webacons / July 13, 2008 12:43 AM PDT

no luck. I had already scanned with my own programs: Avast and Spybot and I was almost sorry nothing turned up. I am still at a loss with this problem. So I downloaded the programs you suggested, and no malware was detected by them either. Strangely enough, today I had no browser problems - so far.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Collapse -
"today I had no browser problems - so far."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2008 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: I tried that, but

Then there is nothing to fix. Your ISP could have had issues.

Collapse -
Here's hoping.
by webacons / July 13, 2008 5:05 AM PDT

I thought it must be my ISP, but of course they'll never admit to anything. Of course I've had other days with no browser troubles too, so I'm not sure this is resolved.

So then you don't think this could be a modem problem?

Thanks. I'll report back if the problem returns.

Collapse -
Could be.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2008 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's hoping.

I have a spare DSL modem and router for friends to borrow to sniff out such. But as DSL use is in sharp decline I find it's rarely borrowed any more. It did nail such an issue more than once.
Bob

Collapse -
I did speed check
by webacons / July 13, 2008 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Could be.

and discovered my download speed is only 219 kbps instead of 512, and my upload speed is 54.6 kbps instead of 256. What does this mean? Is there a problem with my computer?

This morning I opened Firefox and was able to get my online mail, but could not browse. I tried IE and it works better, but slowly, which is why I did the speed check.

I don't understand what is happening here.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
When it's down...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2008 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: I did speed check

You need to have the ISP run it's checks. My neighbor had a defective 327w DSL wifi router. While my router+dsl modem worked they had to get theirs replaced. At least the ISP was able to spot the failure.
Bob

Collapse -
It's ISP's problem??
by webacons / July 14, 2008 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: When it's down...

And you think they need to supply me with a new modem? 'Cause when I called them they kept telling me the problem was probably with my computer. Just to worry me, I suppose.

Collapse -
DSL ISPs have...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2008 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: It's ISP's problem??

Diagnostics they run on their end. Maybe I misread your post and you are not on DSL?

Collapse -
No, no
by webacons / July 14, 2008 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: DSL ISPs have...

you read my post fine. I AM on DSL and now I'm wondering if the problem is the little box they supply you with - it's called a modem, right?

Could that be why my speeds are less than half they should be?

Collapse -
PLUS
by webacons / July 14, 2008 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: No, no

my ISP never offered to test anything. I never spoke to a tech either - maybe I should ask for one the next time I call. I just spoke with a customer rep.

I'm also wondering why IE works a little better than Firefox. I always preferred Firefox.

Collapse -
(NT) Here, Verizon does the tests on the second call..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2008 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: PLUS
Collapse -
Here, Verizon does the tests on the second call..
by webacons / July 14, 2008 6:37 AM PDT

Ah! Good to know. I'll keep an eye on how it goes and let you know what happens. Thanks for all your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.