Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Browser Redirects

by monica 211 / November 16, 2012 9:03 AM PST

Hello,

I have been having an issue lately that when. I search something, I am redirected to another site. I have a Compaq laptop with Vista. I have contacted Norton and there are no viruses. But in my research I see it is common. I use Firefox and usually Google is the prime browser, Is there anything I can do?
When I say redirect.. I can put Target stores in the search and other pages come up; or even if I click on the official link.. I get another response. Please advise and help.
Thank you so much.

monica 211 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browser Redirects
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browser Redirects
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by monica 211

Collapse -
Try This
by gysgtusmc74 / November 16, 2012 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: Browser Redirects

Go to www.malwarebytes.org and download their free(not the pro version which costs) scanner and run a full system scan. A virus usually causes the problem you are describing and Norton may have missed finding it. Don't panic that Norton might have missed something. That can happen as no single anti-virus product works 100% of the time. Let malwarebytes scan and when it finishes it will show if it found anything. Just select the remove all found objects and reboot your computer. If nothing is found by malwarebytes then hopefully someone else on this site can offer better advice. Wish you well.

Collapse -
Thanks
by monica 211 / November 17, 2012 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: Try This

I did download the malwarebytes' and there was nothing malicious on the scan. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Please Try This
by gysgtusmc74 / November 17, 2012 10:09 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Super Antispyware
by monica 211 / November 24, 2012 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Please Try This

I did run this and it did find something... but I still have the problem; so went to the next helpful person.

Collapse -
Answer
Also...
by mchainmchain / November 17, 2012 3:15 PM PST

Try this by Grif: http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html

Also look into your router or dsl or cable modem for settings changes within it that can result in re-directs, especially after your computer scans as clean.

You should have a strong password set within, as well as an admin name you choose and create.

If that is not the case, come back here for more help if the admin password and name have never been changed by you, and are still the default ones provided by the vendor of your device.

Collapse -
Thank you to all.
by monica 211 / November 18, 2012 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Also...

I will try all your suggestions. Thanks so much

Collapse -
Answer
These Seem To Work Well With Browser Redirects
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 2:05 AM PST

Since you've already mentioned using Malwarebytes, please keep it on your computer for use later.. Once that's done, then download the rkill program below and run it..

After downloading or transferring it to the problem machine, run it
to help allow the removal programs below to run.
(courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)There are 3 different
versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be
patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all
the background programs.Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin. You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

Rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install Malwarebytes again, then download and run the Hitman Pro scanner from the link below:

Hitman Pro 3.6

Next, download TDSSKiller and follow the guide to use the tool:
http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

Restart the computer and see if things work correctly again.

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet,
then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings
again.Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet
Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a
check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click
OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by monica 211 / November 24, 2012 7:36 AM PST

Hi, I tried most of your suggestions; the rkill, Maywarebytes, hitman pro.
The reason I said some it that as I was downloading the hitman I wasn;t sure of the 32or 64.

And I used Google, so if I cannot connect to the Internet, how would I do that?

Thanks so much for your help

Collapse -
by monica 211 / November 25, 2012 5:24 AM PST

Hi Grif,

I found out I have the 32 bit Vista; but my IE is not my default browser. And since I do not use it; I have an older version. Should I update to IE 9? Thanks so much for your help.

Collapse -
If You're Not Using IE, Then Updating Is Up To You
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 26, 2012 11:35 AM PST

Although IE9 is a little more secure and updating to the newest version is generally recommended, if you're not using it much, it's not going to cure the browser redirects problem..

At this point, if you haven't been helped by scans from the removal tools previously recommended, I'd like to suggest visiting one of the specialized malware removal sites recommended in the links below. They're not a Cnet site, but for virus/malware removal, they generally get the job done. (We've sent a number of members to these sites and success is generally good.) Some of the browser redirect malware can be extremely hard to remove with out experienced help and that's what those folks are for.. You'll need to log on to their site, create a user ID, etc., post your problem and a helper should come along and walk you through the removal.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?s=5028cc67f4e5562d636b9a77c9017749&showforum=18

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.