Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Browser options for Windows 98?

by epviews / July 14, 2005 7:36 AM PDT

I think my friend's computer needs an updated browser. She's having trouble accessing many websites. For example, she can sign in to hotmail and see that she has new mail, but cannot view her messages. This problem only started in the last year, and there are no other obvious problems with her machine, so I think it may be that the websites she wants to use are no longer compatible with the quite old browsers.

She's running Windows 98 and has dial-up access only. I'm not sure what version of IE and Netscape she has, but they are at least 3 or 4 years old.

Will the latest Mozilla version work on a Windows 98 system, or should I look elsewhere? Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browser options for Windows 98?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browser options for Windows 98?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I will recommend Firefox
by Steven Haninger / July 14, 2005 8:22 AM PDT

It's currently at version 1.05 and will run on Win 98. But, there are many other causes of browser problems including a vast array of parasites and trojans out there. A good cleanup of these as well as the browser cache is a good first step. IE 5.5 and up should be able to display just about anything but Firefox is a decent, fast, and stable browser. Old versions of Netscape were not such on Win 98. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Windows Update
by Blue_Zee / July 14, 2005 7:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
Blue_Zee be right...yee...
by reefurbb / July 15, 2005 11:38 PM PDT

as you will be updating to I.E. 6.0 and it will take awhile after first link to 2nd, about 50-60mb, then updates on top of that. Unless your ISP is a friendly local, like mine, who has a free CD with 5.5 and 6.0 on it.
YOU HAVE SPIES...is probably the reason for erratic surfing, etc.
Clean with Spybot and Adaware first, before installing new browser.
Yes, use Firefox if you want. Avoid huge I.E. download, but you can't access Windows Update, unless they fixed that. A few other minor drawbacks.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks, I'll try these suggestions next chance I get.
by epviews / July 16, 2005 2:28 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.