Computer Help forum

Alert

browser open slowly

by kaptaink59 / January 24, 2013 10:21 PM PST

have had this issue for about a month today I opened Task manager and see that chrome.exe is listed 14 times !!
What can I do to have only one .exe open when i open my browser?

this doesnot happen with firefox or explorer

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: browser open slowly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: browser open slowly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You won't be using Chrome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: browser open slowly

I don't want to duplicate prior discussions about this one. You'll have to forget Chrome if you don't like what it does.
Bob

Collapse -
Just for those that want to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2013 3:39 AM PST

Chrome is designed to use as much ram as possible but starting multiple threads and more. This is so it came use the most a machine has to offer. If you don't like that, you need to use another browser.

Again, this is very well discussed but I think you missed it.
Bob

Collapse -
chrome browser
by kaptaink59 / January 25, 2013 9:16 AM PST

this only happens on one of the PCs i have my older PC Win7 Ultimate not my newer PC with Win7 Pro

Collapse -
Then look at addons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2013 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: chrome browser

I have a few tabs open and Chrome looks to have a process for each. From prior discussions we see folk with XP or an older PC and they are a little upset with how Chrome "gobbles all my RAM,"

Unless you reveal a lot more, it looks normal to me.
Bob

Collapse -
Review options
by Willy / January 25, 2013 2:05 AM PST

Make sure that Chrome isn't optioned to open all your taskbar websites upon open, recheck the Chrome "tools" settings, etc.. Of course, google for any Chrome problems that are similar. I use Chrome and never had that happen. I did however hit open my bookmarks by mistakes to all and it took off, not good. Upon closing and reopening that cleared, however if caught in a glitch it maybe repeating the task. You may want to de-install Chrome totally. You can save your bookmarks to some HMTL file to re-import next when you re-install Chrome. I use REVO uninstaller to best handle that, though the typical add/remove pgm. could do as well. It's just that Revo removes entirely(advanced mode) and flushes it all out.

You can try to use a "restore point" from a date prior to all this happening and see if that works, but a month later, you'll probably repeat MS updates, etc., again. It's an option to look into.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
chrome startup
by kaptaink59 / January 25, 2013 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: Review options

checked my settings and have only to open Gmail, Google home page and Minn Twins home page at start up. Could this be a toolbar running with the browser? or some other add on? IOBit is getting famous for downloading unwanted add ons

Collapse -
BHO and toolbars
by Willy / January 25, 2013 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: chrome startup

If you think this is a toolbar or add-on option, then remove(all!!!) or disable them and check results. Quite frankly, I don't trust any toolbars or BHO(browser helper object) which in turn is an open door for malware. If you haven't yet run your malware or AV pgm. to scan your PC, do so. Check your browser toolbar areas for any. But, any proper installed toolbar will have add/remove pgm., listing use that to remove it. AND HECK, some are trouble, so locate if any, what the name is find a removal tool or instructions to do so. I just did this for an user and it took more time than I liked to resolve this. They have 5, no 6 toolbars as one wouldn't let go until I manually deleted it from all its hiding spots. You can use "Hijackthis" to help you as well. Just another area to check out.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
2nd thought...
by Willy / January 25, 2013 2:10 AM PST

Check the setting to review if you have "on startup" uncheck "continue where I left off" option. If you had this set and then basically repeating the error even time it restarts from when it initially errored . -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Chrome start up
by kaptaink59 / January 25, 2013 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: 2nd thought...

not checked I did uninstall and reinstall Chrome but still have same issue removed all toolbars I found also

Collapse -
I just installed Chrome
by itsdigger / January 25, 2013 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: Chrome start up

no toolbars or anything . I added on AdBlock Plus and WOT that's it. Starts up fast and doesn't use that much RAM . I have 3 tabs open and Ram use is just 37% of 3.25 GB's.

Collapse -
Did you scan?
by Willy / January 25, 2013 1:16 PM PST
In reply to: Chrome start up

Be sure you check the taskbars/toolbars and see if any additional buttons are present. Look at add-ons too.

AS I suggested use REVO uninstaller, do that for Chrome in advanced mode. Then tun off the restore point feature of the OS. Reboot and then re-install Chrome again. If the problem returns, then somehow you have malware at work or compromised s/w. Get a new Chrome install setup, either whole pgm. or pathway to install from web. That way you get the latest Chrome and if then it returns, that certainly suggests something is at work here. Verify after Chrome removal that any folders or directories are gone too, manually. Do all this before you retry installing again. Otherwise, it maybe best to post on the browser forum here or query Chrome own support to see if an issue has arisen like yours. -----Willy Happy

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99020

Collapse -
same problem
by velosofy / January 25, 2013 10:39 PM PST

im having the same problem, chrome seems to make everything lagg on my 16 gb ram pc but on my 4gb ram laptop it seems to work perfectly :/
do i need to delete chrome and use a different browser?

Collapse -
Just pulled up Chrome and it has 10 Processes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: same problem

Check to see what plugins you have but for some, it's not the fastest. Troubleshooting is typical, that is, the same as you've read all over.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.