Computer Help forum

General discussion

Browser keeps on getting redirected

by brucester / June 6, 2008 10:36 PM PDT

My computer has been hit with a nasty virus I think that when I type in a tech site or search for a tech site in Google and try and go to it it redirects me to another usually shopping site or it says I have no internet connection or says the site doesn't exist..For some reason this is the only tech site I have been able to get on.I have run numerous virus and spyware programs but nothing has worked so far. My hijack this log shows nothing out of the ordinary. Any suggestions besides reformatting my system? Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browser keeps on getting redirected
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browser keeps on getting redirected
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check your Hosts file
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 7, 2008 2:46 AM PDT

It can be used to re-direct browser inquiries for web sites from say, to the IP address, which is

The Hosts file can also be used to redirect a browser to, which is your own computer. In effect a closed loop.

Some more information here;

Collapse -
WHICH 'numerous virus and spyware programs'...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 7, 2008 8:54 AM PDT

...have you run and what have they found.. In the meantime, if you haven't already, please follow the instructions in the link below to download, update, then run Malwarebytes:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Hope this helps and let us know what it finds.

Collapse -
That Redirecting website & Malware subject again..
by Herestomo / July 2, 2010 11:00 PM PDT

Hi Folks,
I have read several threads & postings from ppl with the same problem, tried most of them to no avail.
The Malware or Sptware on my XP System is just too elusive.
I have installed & run on a daily basis Malwarebytes. Also Super anti spyware pro and have uninstalled Virgin pc guard & installed AGV.
I'm still getting redirected to unwanted sites & cant get anywhere near the Microsoft site to update.
I am currently scanning system & going to create new & delete old restore points when it's done..
Failing that any more suggestions would be greatly welcomed..
Many thanks Happy

Collapse -
It happens a lot to very old Operating Systems such as XP.
by LucJPatenaude / July 4, 2010 2:13 PM PDT

The only permanent solution is to buy the upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 32bit(x86).

Beats wasting all of your time re-installing that crappy old O.S. of 9 years ago. XP's hard coded programming is fully cracked by extremely experienced hackers that, in-turn, can, permanently take control of your machine's inner workings.

From there, after finishing the full upgrade installation of Win. 7 install a well known Internet Security Suite(ie:Trend Micro's). Then, download and install IObit's Security 360 v.1.45 Free of use. The IS360 also has plenty of Utilities for further Tune-up your system up.

That new O.S. Upgrade package is, now, listed at a mere 129.95$+taxes at Staples-Canada.

Hope that clears a lot of information fog coming from ancient sources.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.