Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Brown worries about dinner while New Orleans drowns

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 19, 2005 10:37 PM PDT
FEMA e-mails document disconnect on Katrina.

>> Wednesday, August 31: Much of New Orleans is underwater when a FEMA official inside the Superdome sends an urgent BlackBerry message to his boss, director Michael Brown:

"...the situation is past critical... hotels are kicking people out, thousands gathering in the streets with no food or water... estimates are many will die within hours," writes Marty Bahamonde, who was sent to be Brown's eyes and ears within the city.

Bahamonde tells Senate investigators he doesn't remember getting a response to that e-mail, but later was forwarded this one, which shows Brown's press secretary fretting about Brown's dining plans for that evening.

"...it is very important that time is allowed for Mr. Brown to eat dinner," she writes. "Given that Baton Rogue is back to normal, restaurants are getting busy. He needs much more [than] 20 or 30 minutes." <<

Shows where FEMA's priorities lay...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brown worries about dinner while New Orleans drowns
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brown worries about dinner while New Orleans drowns
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As I read this
by Steven Haninger / October 19, 2005 10:44 PM PDT

it was the secretary and not Brown. I know my mind is going but that's sort of what a secretary does is support the boss and supporting roles are not unimportant, are they?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Press Secretary, not administrative assistant.
by Dan McC / October 20, 2005 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: As I read this
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) typical dk bash DNR
by Mark5019 / October 19, 2005 10:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 100% trolling. For shame, Dave.
by EdH / October 19, 2005 10:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
ME for shame? Obviously "compassionate conservative"
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 20, 2005 2:06 AM PDT

is truly an oxymoron if you can possibly justify this outrageous behavior by those who are supposed to be dedicated to saving the lives of the starving, not worrying about how long it takes to get a good dinner for themselves!

Collapse -
Please tell me where your shame was
by TONI H / October 20, 2005 2:31 AM PDT

with regard to the DEM Mayor and Governor of NO/LA when they were more concerned with getting the white rich tourists out of town than their own local citizens, Dave? You have plenty of shame to hand down when it comes to Bush and his Administration, but you are totally SILENT when it comes to criticizing your OWN party....EVER.

I'm actually ashamed of YOU for never acknowledging fault on both sides of the party lines, Dave....and yet accuse Bush supporters of the same attitudes, when at least the majority of us supporters know there are issues with the Administration that we aren't happy about.

When do YOU come forward and actually post a complaint about anything the DEMS do or have done since so much of it is available publicly?

TONI

Collapse -
Actually, they didn't do a good job of getting the tourists
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 20, 2005 3:35 AM PDT

out, Toni. An English online friend tells me there are over 300 British tourists who are still officially "missing." I certainly won't say that Nagin did a good job -- there's lot's of blame at all levels. But this particular exchange shows a lack of compassion and proper prioritization that's simply mind-boggling. And if you saw the TV piece of which this is a summary, the criticisms aren't merely partisan -- several Republican Senators were also outraged. Some things are simply indefensible, and I think this falls into that category.

Collapse -
Yes, shame on YOU...
by EdH / October 20, 2005 5:02 AM PDT

For blatant trolling. The story wasn't even about Brown's attitude, it was his secretary. For all you know Brown hadn't eaten in days. And maybe he was too busy handling crises to deal with messages from Bahamonde which it turns out were exaggerated anyway, hmmm? And of course sae don't know if he responded to Bahamonde; Bahamondesays ghe doesn't remember. The story says nothing about FEMA's proiorities,.

Just the usual baiting and trolling from the usual source. FOR SHAME!!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yeah ... people will die in a matter of hours???
by Evie / October 20, 2005 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, shame on YOU...
Collapse -
The FACT that it didn't happen has no bearing..
by EdH / October 20, 2005 10:32 PM PDT

because the bashing and railroading must go on.

Collapse -
Not to mention ...
by Evie / October 20, 2005 10:38 PM PDT

... the fact that Brown is NOT a first responder himself. What COULD he have done?

Evie Happy

Collapse -
You mean the FEMA director
by dirtyrich / October 21, 2005 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Not to mention ...

isn't supposed to hitch a ride down in the helicopter and save everyone Schwarzenegger-style himself?

Collapse -
Maybe not FEMA's priorities
by TONI H / October 19, 2005 10:51 PM PDT

but rather a press secretary over-reaching boundaries and making a decision herself that it wasn't critical enough to notify Brown immediately (going on your assumption from your post that the secretary is a 'she')?

TONI

Collapse -
Lisa Myers used the word "she," AIR, Toni.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 20, 2005 2:03 AM PDT

Collapse -
So he needs dinner...
by dirtyrich / October 20, 2005 2:39 AM PDT

I seriously doubt that the dinner necessarily precludes him from doing his job. I do work while I eat, and when necessary have taken phone calls and organized things while eating... so I don't see why this is a problem at all.
Yet another picayune observation absent of any real context that has been used to tarnish the administration.

Collapse -
WRONG, Dave.
by Cindi Haynes / October 20, 2005 4:23 AM PDT

Brown's press secretary worries about dinner while NO drowns. We don't even know if the secretary notified Brown.

They ARE 2 different people, Dave, although your subject line was as inflammatory as you meant for it to be. Congratulations.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
and hes a mod should be baned 30 days
by Mark5019 / October 20, 2005 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: WRONG, Dave.

as hes no better than any one else but that wont ever happen

Collapse -
We don't ban anybody, Mark
by TONI H / October 20, 2005 6:47 AM PDT

for posting controversial topics. You should know that by now.

We get bans against people who are abusive to each other. If you don't agree with a topic, post a reply about why you don't. If you don't like the topic, don't post to it. (I'm using the word 'you' here in general terms to encompass everyone)

TONI

Collapse -
I can't be sure.......
by lylesg / October 20, 2005 11:42 AM PDT

what Brown worried about. But, what/who Nagin and Blanco didn't worry about is pretty obvious. I bet we agree on that one. Happy

Collapse -
Uh...
by C1ay / October 20, 2005 12:31 PM PDT
>> Wednesday, August 31: Much of New Orleans is underwater when a FEMA official inside the Superdome sends an urgent BlackBerry message to his boss, director Michael Brown......Bahamonde tells Senate investigators he doesn't remember getting a response to that e-mail....

Why does anyone think that wireless service for a Blackberry was even working in a city under water. He never got a response because his boss likely never got the message....
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.