Peripherals forum

General discussion

Brother MFC255cw black ink not working

by ruysnr / January 7, 2010 6:56 PM PST

I just replace all the ink w/ generic ink cartridge. black , yellow , red and blue. every color will print except black. printer show all cartridges are full of inks even the black one. I cleaned the print use its cleaning function like 10 times. I even replaced fisrt brand new generic black ink w/ second brand new generic black. After no luck with 2 new generics, i put back the original black and it shows can't detect it. Any help?
TIA

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brother MFC255cw black ink not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brother MFC255cw black ink not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You said generics
by Steven Haninger / January 7, 2010 9:11 PM PST

These are generally refilled cartridges. You might want to try a new one from Brother.

Collapse -
help
by ruysnr / January 8, 2010 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: You said generics

could it be problem with the printer head?? or there is something else??

Collapse -
Could be several things
by Steven Haninger / January 8, 2010 9:46 PM PST
In reply to: help

I'd need to ask if the old cartridge worked until the ink was gone. If it did and the new cartridge isn't working, my obvious first thought is to look there. We make sure any and all contacts are clean and the cartridge is properly installed. If no go, we try another cartridge but we use one that's from the manufacturer's source. Again, you said it was a generic so these are either store brands or refills. They vary in quality and the number of dissatisfied persons with such is well documented. I don't know how that particular printer deposits ink but if the print head is separate from the cartridge, it surely could be bad or just clogged. But I'd definitely consider what the condition of the old cartridge was when it was replaced. If it worked until empty, the new cartridge is the obvious suspect.

Collapse -
agreed
by midsouthidol / January 13, 2010 3:53 AM PST

Generic ink does tend to cause a big problems. Most of the time, those things are shipped from overseas on large boats. Large hot boats, for long periods of time. The extreme heat causes the nickel plating inside to separate, and clogs up the ink nozzles once you start printing. Its not something that will usually happen immediately, in most cases it may take 2-3 cartridges before you notice a problem. I'd recommend calling Brother, let them do their thing, and take whatever warranty options you can get.

Collapse -
Same problem..... but not using generics!
by diribarren / March 15, 2011 5:41 AM PDT

I have the exact same issue but I am using Brother cartridges!! I hope someone can figure out what this is all about.... seems to be a flaw in the printer itself since more than one of us is experiencing it!
Thanks!

Collapse -
Issue with printer
by lordoftheskully / March 29, 2013 4:09 AM PDT

I have the same issue with my printer but I'm using refillable cartridges, not a expert or tech on any kind of printer but I mess around with all electronics so I decided to take the printer a part to see what the issue was and when I took it a part it looks like the hose that connects the black ink to the printing line was missing. This to my knowledge was the first time this printer had ever been taken a part so how could the hose come lose and I looked around for it inside the printer and couldn't find it. Since more people have been reporting black ink issues it leads me to believe that it could be a defect if the hose has come detached from other printer as well, but I will be getting mine fixed because it is a great all around printer, scanner, copy, and fax.

GOD First

Collapse -
Same problem..... but not using generics!
by diribarren / March 15, 2011 5:41 AM PDT

I have the exact same issue but I am using Brother cartridges!! I hope someone can figure out what this is all about.... seems to be a flaw in the printer itself since more than one of us is experiencing it!
Thanks!

Collapse -
Or the printer needs service or repair.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2011 6:44 AM PDT

What I find interesting is that today I'm encountering folk that think these things are immune to age or when it fails after a few years that it's a design flaw!
Bob

Collapse -
New printer, used Brother ink, still does not work
by reneecaron / June 28, 2012 2:31 AM PDT

My problem occured 6 months after buying it, I used the Brother ink recommended, and the printer won't work cause it thinks there is no black ink. I'd say I got a lemon.

Collapse -
No lemon. Just a warranty issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2012 3:17 AM PDT

Things do not last years. And if they fail (and they do!) in warranty that is why they give the warranty.

Because things can fail!
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) and how does that help me???
by reneecaron / July 3, 2012 2:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Some folk need to vent about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2012 2:44 AM PDT

It helps them get it out and move to the next step.

It's only 6 months old so well inside the warranty. Once in awhile you encounter folk that think this should not happen. I'm ready to dash that notion when you are.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.