Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

Question

Broken Windows' New Releases?

by antdude / November 24, 2011 4:21 AM PST

Hi!

http://download.cnet.com/new-windows-software/ shows "Whoops! You broke the Internet!

No, really, it looks like you clicked on a borked link or something.You could try searching for what you want here:

Or go to the CNET homepage.Or speaking of 404, you could always check out CNET's Internet snark machine, The 404 Podcast."

Where is it now? Sad Thank you in advance. Happy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Broken Windows' New Releases?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Broken Windows' New Releases?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: broken link
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 24, 2011 4:26 AM PST

I've alerted the forum administrator, so he can warn the download.com-team about this error. Thanks for telling.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Seems to be working now
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 24, 2011 7:23 PM PST

Clicking that link you gave seems to be working now, for me at least.

Looks like they got Kees' message. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Yes, but...
by antdude / November 24, 2011 10:32 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) That link works fine for me.
by roddy32 / November 25, 2011 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, but...
Collapse -
I'm gettng a page 6 fail
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 25, 2011 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, but...

All pages 1-5 and 7-9 work for me, I didn't go further.

Page 5 works here; http://download.cnet.com/windows/3151-20_4-0-5.html?tag=page

But page 6 failed for me.

This is an ever changing list as new products are added. So may be your page 5 is now my page 6.

I will alert this again as it looks like a particular page listing is faulty.

Mark

Collapse -
by antdude / November 25, 2011 5:14 AM PST

Yeah, it looks like there is a problem on that specific page that is getting older. I hope I didn't miss anything important. Sad

Collapse -
I tried it and it's working now
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 28, 2011 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: ...

I paged through 1-11 and they all loaded for me. Possible glitch on the results for a particular product on that page that day?

Regardless if you see this again please let me know about it and I will let the Download.com team know about it.

Thanks and sorry about the troubles.

-Lee

Collapse -
I saw it this morning...
by John.Wilkinson / November 28, 2011 1:26 AM PST

It was on page 9 at the time, 404ing consistently. But by the time I finished writing an alert on it, the page was working again - and no problems in the hours since.

Cheers for the auto-fix!
John

Collapse -
Typical
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 4:41 AM PST

You only have to 'look' at something and it's fixed!

Still, better than you breaking things all the time, huh? Devil

Mark

Collapse -
I think I scared it...
by John.Wilkinson / November 28, 2011 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: Typical

I've broken the forums so much, all I have to do is glare at 'em and they shape up in fear of what I may do next. Devil

John

Collapse -
(NT) LOL
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 8:08 PM PST
In reply to: I think I scared it...
Collapse -
Answer
I'll let the Download.com team know...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 7, 2011 1:39 AM PST

that this is still an intermittent issue.

I think when Download.com bumped the results pages up from 15 to 50, the request to retrieve more titles per page occasionally will take longer than usual and eventually causing the page to fail.

Thanks for reporting this all.

-Lee

Collapse -
UPDATE
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 13, 2011 8:46 AM PST

Hey all,

The Download.com team investigated the issue, and it looks like my hunch was right from above. Because each page lists so many download titles, occasional the page will fail if all the data doesn't get loaded on to the page quickly enough.

As stated from the engineer this shouldn't happen very often. However, if it does, please let me know about it.

Also if this does so happen to you, when you refresh your browser page, does it resolve the issue for you?

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
by antdude / December 13, 2011 11:10 AM PST
In reply to: UPDATE

Lee, when it happened on 11/24/2011, I did reload/refresh but got that error. Oh well.

Collapse -
Likewise here...
by John.Wilkinson / December 13, 2011 9:15 PM PST
In reply to: ...

I refreshed a dozen times and kept getting the PNF. But when I checked it one last time after writing an alert, it was consistently working. I assume the failure was cached, causing the consistent PNF for a brief time rather than being more sporadic.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.