Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Broadband for Snowbirds

by murad1_1 / July 21, 2006 1:50 AM PDT

I am a snowbird traveling between Connecticut and Florida. I presently have DSL in CT and dial up in Florida Does anyone know of a broadband service either cable or DSL that allows me to pack up my dsl/cable modem and laptop and set it up in Florida.
I have Comcast in both locations but they say they are different entities. The same goes for sbc yahoo. I can pay 2 broadband prices one in CT and the other in Florida but that's not exactly cost effective.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Broadband for Snowbirds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Broadband for Snowbirds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't think so, but
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / July 21, 2006 1:10 PM PDT

you should be able to use the dialup account you get with SBC DSL in CT down in Florida. Also if you can catch those SBC DSL special deals (12.95 for 1500/384) in CT and Florida for year contract ea., 25.00 is not to bad for broadband.

Collapse -
Re: I don't think so, but
by Big Steve / July 21, 2006 1:43 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't think so, but

Big Ed:

I was beginning to think that you weren't in the house.

End Of Message
07/21/06

Collapse -
Have you considered wireless broadband?
by topry / July 26, 2006 9:20 PM PDT

While not cheap (at the moment), Verizon's wireless broadband works very well. If it is available within the areas you need, it would be an easy solution. Pricing will only go down as popularity (and competition) increase - plus it would give you connectivity while traveling.

Collapse -
broadband for snowbirds
by Geneius / July 26, 2006 10:11 PM PDT

If your laptop is wireless capable, there may be several places in your area where you can connect for a small fee or even free. Check the area at http://wi-fi.jiwire.com/.
If your laptop does not have wireles, an adapter can be bought for it. Check with your local comp shop.

Collapse -
Also
by Geneius / July 26, 2006 11:08 PM PDT

Thought maybe I'd found a goody with Cnet's broadband power search but it won't work for me. No matter what info I input, it keeps coming back with info for an address in Ky that is not mine. I am in Ky trying to get info for a south Al. address.

Collapse -
Re Snowbird in CT & FL
by Johnnie Pryor / July 26, 2006 10:18 PM PDT

Since you travel between these 2 states and have Comcast as your provider, consider contacting Comcast & having them setup your account with Seasonal Rates. Seasonal Rates are greatly reduced and keep you acc't active at a much reduced price. You simply need to let them know the dates when you wish to have the access activated in each state & they can make the needed adjustments to each acc't so that each is turned on & off at the appropriate time. You may also wish to consider High Speed using Cable but I'd recommend purchasing a modem for each location and leaving it dedicated to that location & each acc't having an email acc't dedicated to it which you can access from either location. To make inquiries to set it up simply call 1-800-Comcast and choose the Cable Billing Option. You may also contact the Local Office in each area re getting seasonal rates setup. These can be found at www.comcast.com and by choosing, Support & Services, Contact Us, then enter your address & Zip Code for each area, and the Local Office for different purposes will be displayed for you to choose with contact phone numbers & addresses nearest you as well. In addition assistance is avilable 24/7 even on holidays by simply calling 1-800-Comcast.

Collapse -
snowbirds
by wcoffey81 / July 27, 2006 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Re Snowbird in CT & FL

one of these days a larger isp needs to look at this traveling group and do something for them. set it up so that as long as they move at least 250 miles there is no charge to transfer their survice. with the large number of folks that travel to fl.,tx. and az. it would be a great promotion to keep/gain customers.
as i sit here and write this i am thinking of what my parents go through each year. if an isp were to offer a package of tv., voip phone and internet, their lives would be so much easier! the ability to have the same phone # alone would be enough to seal the deal!

back to the OP. an option you have is to use one of the adapters fron the cell-phone providers. it was mentioned before but i need to add that almost all carriers provide this service. the only drawback is cost, $40 - $80 a month for the different plans. it may be great while on the road but back at home base that is an awful lot to pay for internet

Collapse -
Snowbird
by crashcaddy / July 27, 2006 3:45 AM PDT

Sprint has the better product with their new EVDOrevA wireless card. When the Sprint networks are completely upgraded, you'll see 600-800K Download and 300-400K upload!!!! To my understanding Verizon's upload is approximately 100K

Also, Both companies offer ''unlimited'' data usage plans. However recent reports are that Verizon limits your usage and you are not permitted to use the card in a router. Sprint doesn't limit your data at this time.

Check out the coverage for both providers. Our customers love the Sprint EVDO card...we sell a lot of them. Price w/ 24 month agreement and good credit> $49.99 for the equipment. $59.95 per month for unlimited...if you have a Sprint/Nextel cell phone account.

Hope that helps....from Olando FL

PS....Up/Down speeds are affected by your proximity to the tower, and the number of users at that time. So speeds do vary

Collapse -
Check into Clearwire
by LarryH / July 27, 2006 8:35 AM PDT

You may want to explore what Clearwire offers (www.clearwire.com). I didn't see that it offered anything in CT but it did have a few FL areas. It is wireless broadband where you take your wireless modem with you. I don't have it since my DSL is just fine and less expensive. As long as you are within range of one of its towers all you need is power. No phone line needed.

Collapse -
Mediocre Service
by Literarytech / January 28, 2008 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: Check into Clearwire

Beware of Clearwire. I have tried using their service and it was spotty when I was living within blocks of two towers. They indicate in the fine print that they don't support and will not troubleshoot any streaming media difficulties.

The representative made no indication that streaming media was not supported and this information is not clearly stated in their materials. In addition, they require hours of time spent wandering about your house trying the modem in different locations.

At the very least, do not enter into a contract with them. It would be better and more reliable to obtain service from a G3 mobile network via a PC card in your computer or your teathered phone.

Collapse -
More bad news about Clearwire
by pejackso / February 5, 2009 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: Check into Clearwire

I had Clearwire for 2 years (because of the contract). It worked ok but was kind of slow.
What makes me mad, though, is that when it comes time to cancel their service, they won't let you return the modem to the store where you got it. They tell you that they will send you a UPS Label in about 2 days. Then you have to send it back to them AND your contract does not end until Clearwire receives the modem from UPS. So you end up paying for time when you don't even have the modem. And Clearwire DOES NOT prorate their monthly fee. If UPS takes too long getting it back to them, you end up paying for an entire extra month.
Stay clear of Clearwire.

Collapse -
Prodigy???
by weedonald / August 2, 2006 3:00 AM PDT

I believe Prodigy offers a portable enrollment program for our generation.

weedonald

Collapse -
Broadband for Snowbirds
by beaubill / February 2, 2009 3:13 AM PST

I had the same problem. I did away with landlines altogether. I now use Sprint wireless card for internet and DirectTV satellite for TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.