TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Breaking in a new Plasma.

by MrMadCow13 / March 3, 2008 7:37 AM PST

Hey...just got my new PDP-5080 and (so far) am loving it. I just wanted to see if anyone had any comments or suggestions on breaking in a new TV. I was told at the store (BB) to watch everything full-screen for the first 100 hours and also to avoid playing video games for the same length of time. I'm assuming this means I should avoid the Comcast cable guide and DVD/Blu-Ray menus as well. Should I be wary of station logos (like on TBS or USA) also?

Any other tips for breaking in my TV properly? I want it to last a long time.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Breaking in a new Plasma.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Breaking in a new Plasma.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) What does the owner's manual say?
by Coryphaeus / March 3, 2008 8:09 PM PST
Collapse -
I own a 5080....
by kcfvegas / March 4, 2008 4:47 AM PST

The break in period is not that big a deal. Yes, you need to be a little more careful with how you watch it. The recommendation of watching TV full screen is a good one, but if you are watching a DVD and it has the black bars on the top and bottom, that won't hurt anything. Do not watch anything in Dynamic, which you won't want to anyway because it doesn't look good. Watch in either Optimum or Standard. They are the closest to having the TV calibrated to the "prefect" setting. I played my Xbox 360 during the break in period, just not for extended periods of time. The station logos will be no problem, but make sure the orbiter setting is turned ON in the set up menu. You have a very good TV, that is very durable, so don't worry too much about hurting it. Just use common sense when you are watching it, and you should have no problems.

Collapse -
by missmyrnaloy / March 4, 2008 9:47 AM PST

I have never heard of any Pioneer TV's needing repairs. Did you buy one for yours? If so, have you used it? I wonder if its worth it.

Collapse -
I did not buy warranty
by kcfvegas / March 4, 2008 10:01 AM PST
In reply to: Warranty

From what I have read in Consumer Reports, Pioneers only have a 3% repair rate. With that low of a percentage, it didn't make sense to spend the money for an extended warranty.

Collapse -
by MrMadCow13 / March 4, 2008 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: I did not buy warranty

Thanks for the info. The first few hours we had the set we were in Dynamic (it defaults to that, I guess), but once I started playing around I changed it to Optimum and turned down the contrast. I read somewhere on CNet that it's good to keep the contrast a little lower for the first 100 hours. Either way, the TV still looks great. I am totally satisfied with my purchase.

I did purchase the warranty, but I'm the kind of guy that would not purchase it and then have it inexplicably break a day after the manufacturer warranty ends. If nothing else, the BB 4 Year Protection plan ensures that if your set does break, they will come and pick it up to fix it, meaning you don't have to pack it up yourself and ship it somewhere. Like you said, though, you're spending the extra money on a Pioneer because you want a quality set, so repairs should not be needed.

Collapse -
by [CaM]Spoon / March 5, 2008 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks...

OMG Dont listen to BB employees. enjoy your TV as all plasma tvs go through the 100 hour before they are shipped out.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.