TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Braven 650 bluetooth speaker or Soundfreaq sound kick?

by SDuenke11 / December 9, 2012 3:09 PM PST

So i bought a Westinghouse LCD TV on sale at best buy a few months ago, and the audio is terrible. The volume doesn't rise very much after about a quarter volume and the sound is distorted especially in the low end (which there is very little of in the first place). I use the TV to hook into my laptop whenever I am home and consequently I started looking into some speakers for it. I was looking more for a portable soundbar and stumbled into the jawbone big jambox. That was great and all but the $300 price tag is very off-putting. I started looking more into the portable range of speakers because I am away from home a lot but I would like an adequate sounding speaker wherever I go (that includes my home). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had personal, hands-on experience with Braven 650 and/or the soundfreaq sound kick. I am not a huge audiophile so I don't need something huge, and expensive. Portable, under $200, and with clarity and adequate bass response and volume to give a fulfilling music and movie experience (from roughly15 feet away on average) is enough. Also let me know if the bluetooth is timed well. I don't want the movie to be timed wrong with the sound. Thank you!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Braven 650 bluetooth speaker or Soundfreaq sound kick?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Braven 650 bluetooth speaker or Soundfreaq sound kick?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What's the HDTV model number?
by Pepe7 / December 10, 2012 1:23 AM PST

Ideally I see you as a good candidate for an inexpensive surround sound system. It would be light years better than what you describe, and for the same money.

If I know the HDTV model number,, this would tell me what systems are compatible based on which audio outputs are present on the HDTV.

Collapse -
TV Information
by SDuenke11 / December 10, 2012 9:50 AM PST

The model number is CW40T6DW, and although a surround sound system would be nice it's not necessary for me me. As I said I'm not a huge audiophile and I am only looking for better audio than I have on the television. I also need something relatively portable (in the range of 14-16in x 3-4in x 3-4 in), as I am away from my home often. Ideally I could just afford both items, but that's not the case right now. I am fully open to suggestions but I would prefer that they stay within my original specifications (portable, under $200, wireless). Feel free to suggest a surround sound system though. If I come into some extra money then I may buy both items. Try to keep it sub $100.

Collapse -
I'm not sure what you will find for less than $100
by Pepe7 / December 11, 2012 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: TV Information

I can't think of any portable speakers in that price range which would meet the specs you need. None of these would be giving you much of a bump over your TV sound IMO until you start looking at products such as the Jambox, etc. The original jambox is less than $200, FWIW, if you can still find one. Some of the small ipod speaker docks, etc. really don't cut it for use with HDTVs IME. Very weak/tinny sound, much like the built in speakers.

Some of the Logitech smaller PC/HT surround systems might suffice for around $100. But they are not portable.

Collapse -
Jambox
by SDuenke11 / December 11, 2012 4:54 AM PST

Do you think the original Jambox would be sufficient? The smaller one that is. If so then that is helpful because both of the original bluetooth speakers I listed sound better than the Jambox.

Collapse -
Perhaps
by Pepe7 / December 11, 2012 2:30 PM PST
In reply to: Jambox

In general I don't care much for bluetooth speakers. Even some of the Logitech PC speakers can sound better, but YMMV. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.