TVs & Home Theaters forum

Brand of TV. Which is best? Sony, Panasonic, Samsung

by mbyers1 / January 26, 2012 4:02 AM PST

I am looking to purchase a 55 inch TV. I have owned Sony and LG. The LG had a terrible experience and I am leaning towards another Sony. However, it appears the pricing for Sony based on size is more than both Panasonic and Samsung. I have a budget of $1000-$1400. What TV should I purchase? Help needed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brand of TV. Which is best? Sony, Panasonic, Samsung
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brand of TV. Which is best? Sony, Panasonic, Samsung
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2012 4:20 AM PST

This repeats what I've noticed. The brands you noted are all about the same. HOWEVER if one has a failure with one of these they usually will not agree.

The problem as I see it is very simple. The ONE YEAR WARRANTY is testament to the fact these are shorter lived things than what anyone expected. On average I'm seeing 4 to 5 year life spans. That could be higher but most folk are opting out of repairs and replacing the sets.
Collapse -
brand of tv
by mbyers1 / January 26, 2012 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment.

So I am safe with any of these options. Do you have a specific recommendation?

Collapse -
Nothing specific except
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2012 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: brand of tv

Don't worry about Smart TV and such. If you've been watching these are not about getting you a web browser that works as well as your PC but to get folk to use pay for content apps and more. You'll do better if you ignore that for now. Focus on the great picture. Don't go less than 1080p unless you have a very good reason.

Don't overspend. These are not lasting the usual 10 to 20 years like the old sets so we don't want to pay them higher rental fees.

Collapse -
My suggestion
by Pepe7 / January 27, 2012 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: brand of tv

The Panasonic 55" TC-55ST30 plasma is a great sweet spot/deal right now. I've seen it on sale well within your budget @ Amazon & BB, and a few others. It's better than any LG or Sony at the same basic price point. Sony's are *always* priced higher.

Collapse -
Panny Plasma at Costco
by Dan Filice / January 27, 2012 5:16 AM PST
In reply to: My suggestion

Costco has the 50" model of this Panasonic Plasma on sale now for around $699. Can't go wrong with that, and Costco has a 2-year warranty that can be extended. I've had my Panny Plasma well over a year as have my son's who have a Panny Plasma each, and they are stunning TVs.

Collapse -
Pretty happy with my Panasonic
by trainer464 / January 27, 2012 2:10 PM PST

I got myself a 50 inch Panny plasma TV for Christmas before last. The deal was through Amazon, was a good price, and included a "free" sound bar. I did burn in and hooked up cable input to sound bar, and bar to HDMI1, put a BluRay player on HDMI2 and a dongle on USB port to get wireless to my computer router (for Netflix and Pandora). Everything worked fine for about 9 months, then the sound bar and HDMI1 refused to handle cable signal (no sound or picture). When bypassing sound bar also didn't work I assumed HDMI1 failed.
I switched cable to HDMI2 and BluRay to HDMI3 (it has a third HDMI input) and everything works just fine -- just no sound bar, which was good, but TV speakers are okay, too. I also switch between BluRay and my old VHS player that feeds through to my old DVD recorder (a cheapie I got at Radio Shack) and have embarked on transfering some of my collection tapes to disk. I have a lot of old magic tapes and some TV shows that I taped (operas and the like). I am not bothering with anything I can stream from Netflix.
When this whole thing goes in a few years, there will be new choices available I'm sure. But everything about the Panny was good -- except you have to use their remote for VieraCast. An additional problem: the TV used to go blank for a second or two at random moments and I tried all kinds of things line line filters and putting in better HDMI cables. After switching to HDMI2 input, all that went away. It would appear that I got a set with a weak HDMI input which eventually failed. I came to this point just after the one year warranty ran out. That's the breaks.
Oh yes, one more thing. There is no audio out, so I can't plug in a transmitter and use wireless earphones.

Collapse -
Info on Samsung
by ga-hogin / January 27, 2012 2:22 PM PST

Look up white dots on Samsung TV . They have a problem with a chip and it is a $500 fix . All Samsungs should have a recall on them. You get what you pay for with a Sony.

Collapse -
Yes, you do sometimes
by Pepe7 / January 29, 2012 12:59 AM PST
In reply to: Info on Samsung

But truth be told, Sony is overpriced, and always has been, FWIW.

Collapse -
LG would be the best bet
by digitalapex / January 29, 2012 10:05 AM PST

Ive had both Samsung and LG before. In terms of my experience I have had both for same amount of time but the huge difference was the treatment and assurance ive received from the a/s service from LG was extremely professional and I was like im sticking with LG. Price wise not much difference but LG sure knows how to maintain wellness of its customers!!!

Collapse -
Bang for your buck
by robert1tech / February 2, 2012 1:15 PM PST

Now I saw a LG 3D TV on sale for a 55" smart TV for like $980 from tiger direct I don't remember which model.

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / February 3, 2012 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: Bang for your buck

They're only lacking in PQ if you don't like a somewhat video-camera like appearance ;).

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.