Samsung forum

Rant

Brand new series5 laptop NP550P wont read CD's

by bargee62 / February 19, 2013 1:46 AM PST

Just out of the box and it won't read CD's.
Windows 8, drive is TSSTcorp DVDWBD SN-406AB and device manager has no yellow flag. I ran the MS Fixit prog but it just said no readable cd in the drive. driver is latest available. I've tried installation cd's(Norton) and audio, but nothing works. Samsung help dept. got me to run 'recover' which just deleted all the stuff I have just spent a day installing.
Needless to say this is very frustrating when I have just paid nearly a grand for it and I can't even install antivirus.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brand new series5 laptop NP550P wont read CD's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brand new series5 laptop NP550P wont read CD's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When I get a defect out of the box.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 1:48 AM PST

I put it back in the box to exchange it for a good one.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Brand new series5 laptop NP550P wont read CD's
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 19, 2013 7:35 AM PST
Collapse -
and for Europe?
by bargee62 / February 19, 2013 5:40 PM PST

Hi Samsung Tech, thanks for that but these links are for USA only. I bought this PC in the UK and took it back to France where I live as I am too used to a qwerty keyboard.
This model is not recognized by Samsung in France and Currys who sold it aren't interested once it's past 21 days since purchase. Really need some help here !

Collapse -
Re: defective laptop
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 5:49 PM PST
In reply to: and for Europe?

It all depends on the warranty you have.
- If it's international warranty Samsung in France should handle it.
- If it's only UK warranty, Currys of Samsung in UK should handle it.
Since you didn't tell about the warranty conditions, that's all I can say.

There are worse cases in these forums than yours. I remember a member from India that had issues with his device TV he bought in Singapore with only a local warranty. It's much easier to go back to England from France with a laptop, than from India to Singapore with a 40" TV.

Kees

Collapse -
international warranty
by bargee62 / February 19, 2013 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: Re: defective laptop

Hi, yes it's an international warranty but when I contacted Samsung France they said they couldn't help as they didn't recognize the model number!

Collapse -
Re: international warranty
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 20, 2013 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: international warranty

Hi bargee62,

Then what's you complete model code, including the build code? It'll look something like NP550P5C-A01UB, where the hyphen separates the model on the left from the build code on the right.

HD Tech

Collapse -
full model code
by bargee62 / February 20, 2013 3:56 AM PST

Hi,
it's
NP550P7C-SO5UK
Many thanks indeed for helping.
Ian

Collapse -
Re: full model code
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 20, 2013 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: full model code
Collapse -
product list
by bargee62 / February 20, 2013 5:19 PM PST
In reply to: Re: full model code

Thanks for that, weirdly this model doesn't feature on the list which is probably why samsung France are confused.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.