PC Hardware forum

Question

Brand new GPU overheating badly!

by PhayzR / December 26, 2012 2:51 PM PST

So I recently found a great online deal for an Asus cm6870 for the purpose of using as the base of a gaming rig.

I replaced the PSU with a Coolmax ZU-900B to power my GTX580 GPU. After testing 3 or 4 games, I launched Skyrim with some graphic mods and the PC rebooted. This happened within about 30 minutes of testing.

After trying the game again about 15 minutes later, I realized that the audio was playing very slowly and was pitch-shifted really low. I also heard the fan blowing loudly, so I turned it off immediately. The back the case was painful to the touch.

Here's some info that may be useful:
- The case does not have a fan in the front.
- The PSU did not initially align with the screw-holes in the current case until bending some guide-rails out of the way.
- The PSU did not have direct connections for the video card but had some additional cables that connect manually via the PSU's housing. (I used common sense in using only connections that fit naturally)
- The motherboard is pretty small (1 x16 pcie, 1 x1 pcie).
- The case has non-removable covers where additional slots would be. (possibly restricting airflow)

First off, did fry my GPU already?
And why is it overheating so quickly? Is it the case? The PSU? The motherboard?
Could not having a front fan or any apparent frontal ventilation on the case lead to that quick of an overheat?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brand new GPU overheating badly!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brand new GPU overheating badly!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Airflow is very important
by Willy / December 26, 2012 9:13 PM PST

The whole idea of "airflow" is to exchange air from in to out, thus airflow. The exchange obviously replaces hot air for cool. If you have some restrictive path or simply one that is block or not yet fully used, you need to make it happen. Best explained by visiting gaming websites to review pix of all those gaming rigs out there. If you have no frt. fan, then get one and mount as it should(empty space/mounting) and draw air, "in". Better fans have an embossed "arrow" showing air direction or label/decal. You mention, no side cover, well either that's a poor gaming rig or it wasn't for gaming in general. Now, you know why gaming rigs cost more, everything is geared to make it stay running longer, even the case. What some users have done, make a "blow hole", by cutting on side or top(or both) and mount a fan there. It would appear the Asus cm6870 is capable, so investigate what's what. Maybe a plate is blocking air, you have to remove it by flexing it off(knock-out?). Better PC cases have the PSU mounted on the bottom to better assist heat exchange as they too cause heat. heat rises and its better exhausted by upper fans and all is expelled out. Also, if a filter is mounted at frt. maybe remove it, as you need better airflow even unfiltered as demands are greater than can be supplied "as is". These are areas to look at, so they're suggestions and using common sense you may zero-in on problem area. Also, visit gaming websites. GPU in general will run hot or at least uncomfortably so, but if too hot, they will stress out and worse, fail. Be sure that if the GPU is fan cooled it is working as well and clean.

http://www.maximumpc.com/articles/reviews/hardware/cases

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Overheating
by VAPCMD / December 27, 2012 12:05 AM PST

After trying the game again about 15 minutes later, I realized that the audio was playing very slowly and was pitch-shifted really low. I also heard the fan blowing loudly, so I turned it off immediately. The back the case was painful to the touch.

QUESTION: Which fan.....the CPU fan ? The GPU fan ? or the PSU fan ?

Here's some info that may be useful:
- The case does not have a fan in the front.
- The PSU did not initially align with the screw-holes in the current case until bending some guide-rails out of the way.
- The PSU did not have direct connections for the video card but had some additional cables that connect manually via the PSU's housing. (I used common sense in using only connections that fit naturally)
- The motherboard is pretty small (1 x16 pcie, 1 x1 pcie).
- The case has non-removable covers where additional slots would be. (possibly restricting airflow)

QUESTION: Have you tried running it with the case's side off ?

First off, did fry my GPU already?
And why is it overheating so quickly? Is it the case? The PSU? The motherboard?
Could not having a front fan or any apparent frontal ventilation on the case lead to that quick of an overheat?

ANSWER: Fry GPU ....not way to tell. Try running system with case side off.
ANSWER: Overheating so quickly....almost anything and everything overheats when it cannot dissipate heat. Again, try running system with case side off.

QUESTION: How many power connectors from the PSU are connected to the GPU and exactly which GTX580 (mfg/series/model #) do you have ??

SUGGESTION: Download,install, run and minimize PCWizard 2012 ...the system temps including the CPU, the GPU will remain on the screen....let us know what the temps are.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks!
by PhayzR / December 27, 2012 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: Overheating

Thanks a lot guys!
Decided to go get a new case with an obscene amount of ventillation lol.
Downloading CPUID to monitor my temps.
If I hit anymore snags, I'll add a new reply.
Thanks again for the guidance!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.