Computer Help forum

General discussion

Boxes with numbers and letters in them

by Canesfan3301 / March 9, 2010 6:40 PM PST

Hey all, I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed somewhere on the forums. I use Firefox, and sometimes when I'm looking at a site, I'll find these:

選ばれた子供

instead of the text. Can anyone tell me what these are, and how do I change it back to the original text? Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boxes with numbers and letters in them
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boxes with numbers and letters in them
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: numbers and letters
by Kees Bakker / March 9, 2010 6:41 PM PST

Please give a link of such a page, so we can have a look.

Kees

Collapse -
Link
by Canesfan3301 / March 9, 2010 7:17 PM PST
http://falloutfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Alfred_Hardy

The section where I see the boxes with number and letters in it is:

Alfred changed his name from 選ばれた子供 (Chosen Child) to Alfred.

However, this isn't the only site I see these boxes on.
Collapse -
That are Chinese characters.
by Kees Bakker / March 9, 2010 7:25 PM PST
In reply to: Link

The page source says <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />, so it is defined as Unicode. Apparently, your Firefox doesn't switch to display Unicode characters automatically. Mine here does.

Try View>Character set and select unicode for that page. You should see Chinese (although I doubt if you can read it).

- What version of Firefox are you running? On what OS?
- If you use IE for that page, does it work?

Kees

Collapse -
by Canesfan3301 / March 9, 2010 7:44 PM PST

I went to View>Character encoding>Unicode(UTF-8), and still no dice. I'm running Firefox 3.5.8, and my OS is Windows XP Professional Version 5.1(Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158: Service Pack 2)

Collapse -
(NT) And in IE?
by Kees Bakker / March 9, 2010 7:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Chinese name
by mcgmtg / March 9, 2010 9:06 PM PST

Why bother the translation is already right there.

Alfred changed his name from 選ばれた子供 (Chosen Child) to Alfred.

Collapse -
by Canesfan3301 / March 10, 2010 9:02 AM PST
In reply to: Chinese name

The thing is, it doesn't look like it does in my post, it looks like little boxes with numbers and letters in it.

Collapse -
by Canesfan3301 / March 17, 2010 10:52 PM PDT

Still need some help with this subject. Can anyone help?

Collapse -
Re: characters
by Kees Bakker / March 17, 2010 10:58 PM PDT

I checked with my Firefox (3.6 now). If the character set is set Unicode, it looks like Chinese. If the character set is set to Western (ISO-8059-1) it looks like boxes. And my Firefox automatically selects Unicode, because that's in the header.

- Check again.
- Check how IE behaves.
- Compare with another machine.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.