Cameras forum

Question

Bought the Wrong Camera?! FS50

by JoeS132 / September 29, 2013 9:12 PM PDT

Hello All!

I am hoping to get a little advice.

My 2 yearold son dropped my trusty Coolpix S500 (I know, I've had it a while but have always been very happy with the results it gives!) so I had to find a new camera.

I spent hours googling around and on Which? reading reviews and decided that if I could find a goo deal on the Panasonic TZ7, that would be the one. A camera that would simply take really nice pictures, and that would last a few years.

It was my son's 3rd birthday the other day and I paniced and decided I needed a god camera - that my phone camera wouldn't suffice. So I went to my local photographic shop and tried to buy a TZ7. Only they said that it was superceded by the TZ9, for which they wanted £170.. out of my budget.

They have a limited selection but I ended up buying a Panasonic FS50. It cost me £90 - within my budget (around the £100 mark) and they recommended it as a nice point and shoot camera, with a good lense.

When I got home, I googled it and couldn't find reviews. I logged on to Which? and saw that their review is that they do not like it and that there are about 35 cameras in the same price bracket that they prefer! That put me on edge a bit.

So I got using it and I'm looking through the results and - although I don't know to what degree my perception is being flavoured by reading the bad review - many of the photos are not in focus. It appears that in the majority of photos the autofocus has either decided to focus on something odd (throwing the subjects out of focus) or people are just blurry from movement. The photos were taken indoors but not necessarily in awful light conditions - I'm sure my Coolpix S500 captured better photos.

I'm hoping you guys can advise... what do you think of the FS50? Am I being too sensitive to the photos because of that bad review or is this a problem with the camera?
And where do I stand - do you think I can return the camera or maybe ask them to trade up? The one thing about trading up is that their prices are not competitive, but I suppose since I only buy a camera every few years and I bought in a rush maybe it's just something I have to swallow.

What would you do??

Thank you all!

Joe

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bought the Wrong Camera?! FS50
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bought the Wrong Camera?! FS50
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Panasonic FS50
by JoeS132 / September 30, 2013 2:17 AM PDT

Sorry - correction... the camera I was originally looking at that had been superseded was the SZ7, not TZ!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Panasonic FS50
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 30, 2013 12:26 AM PDT

The FS50 is a budget camera and you are not likely to find any complete reviews.
Since it is a 16MP CCD sensor camera, I would not expect great pictures from that camera.

If you can trade-up to a different model, I suggest you do.

Look for something with 12MP CMOS sensor.

Collapse -
FS50
by JoeS132 / October 2, 2013 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Panasonic FS50

Thank you for the reply.
I am havign difficulty finding such a camera for less than £150, which is my budget!
It's funny - they have such high MP on the cheaper ones. As you say, it doesn't produce the best result... one wonders why they do it!

Collapse -
Theory "More is Better"
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 3, 2013 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: FS50

Reality "More is not better on a small sensor"

They are putting more and more pixels on the same size sensor assembly.
The only way to do that is to make the pixels smaller.
Small pixels produce less light.

Less light means you have to raise the ISO settings to produce the same amount of light as a larger pixel.
When you raise the ISO, it is like turning up the volume on a small cheap radio.
Distortion.
The camera makers call it noise.
To reduce the noise they use a noise reduction firware program in the camera.
That firmware also reduces the detail.
Grass and tree leaves will appear as being smudged.
Stay away from trees with needles instead of leaves.
They will appear badly blurred.

OK for 4 x 6 prints. Bad for larger prints.

Older small cameras with less pixels will produce better detail.
12 megapixels is about the limit for good detail.

Collapse -
wow
by JoeS132 / October 3, 2013 11:47 PM PDT

that's amazing - thank you for sharing. I was surprised by how high the MP were, compared to my S500 with 7.1!!

So why do they do it? The manufacturers surely know better?!

Collapse -
possible camera
by JoeS132 / October 7, 2013 6:24 PM PDT

Hi all - sorry another question.... the shop doesn't have very much in stock... a few under £150 but with similar mp. There is one with 12 and it's £99. The Olympus VH-150. But I cannot find anything about it online. Can anyone comment in this context?

Thank you

Collapse -
Check Model number
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 8, 2013 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: possible camera

I can find nothing on a VH-150.

There is a VG-150 and a VH-510
Here are specifications on those:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Olympus-VG-150-vs-Olympus-VH-510/specs

They are rated as equal.

But VH-510 would be the better choice.
It has image stabilization and CMOS sensor.
The VG-150 has no image stabilization and CCD sensor.

Both are budget cameras and you are not likely to find a thorough review.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.