Windows 7

Question

BOUGHT RESTORE CD FROM EBAY BUT NOW FOUND LAPTOP PRODUCT KEY

by jenianis21 / November 27, 2012 1:26 AM PST

HI
My laptop had a virus and because there was no installation disc included with it and I had no idea where to find product key code, I cleared the hard drive completely and started afresh by buying a restore CD off ebay. However, after re-installing I noticed a message in the screens corner of "this version of windows is not genuine" I got very worried and was advised to check under the base of my laptop to find product key which I indeed found. This key code has now been entered and authenticated/validated and the message no longer appears. However when I try to install "windows updates" it keeps freezing and wont go past "update 1"
I dont know what to do or whether this disc is/will still cause problems for my laptop in future or how to remove it from my laptop.
I would be most grateful for any advice, as I dont want to be doing anything wrong or causing problems for my laptop.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BOUGHT RESTORE CD FROM EBAY BUT NOW FOUND LAPTOP PRODUCT KEY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BOUGHT RESTORE CD FROM EBAY BUT NOW FOUND LAPTOP PRODUCT KEY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That restore CD is not what it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2012 1:36 AM PST

I am getting more reports of ebay CD (actually it's a DVD!) that has a cracked Windows on it. They do this for reasons I hope are obvious. To get folk to part with money.

OK, No restore CD I've used in years has me entering in the product key. But your story is incomplete except that it's likely you didn't get a restore CD/DVD for your system.

I'd ask the laptop's maker for these.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Restore DVD download
by wpgwpg / November 27, 2012 1:50 AM PST

You can download a free ISO image for your version of Windows from here
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/ and put in your key. Bear in mind that you will need to download most of the drivers you'll need from your manufacturer's web site. If you need software to burn the ISO to a DVD, you can use the free Imgburn from http://www.imgburn.com .

When you buy a new computer (desktop or laptop) the user guide (which is on your hard drive) has instructions you're supposed to follow to burn the recovery discs. Since you didn't do that, you'll need to contact your computer manufacturer to get them. These have the advantage of coming with all the drivers you need plus all the pre-installed software that might've come with your computer.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.