Computer Help

General discussion

Bought new laptop. How to set up?

by camaren / September 4, 2009 9:15 PM PDT

I just bought a new HP Pavillion dv6-1230us Laptop. I want to make sure it is set up right from the get go. I know to make back up disks but I'd like to have to right spyware, anti-virus, etc. put on right from the start. I searched the forum looking for a list or tips of what to do with a new PC when you buy one but couldn't find anything. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bought new laptop. How to set up?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bought new laptop. How to set up?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a few tips
by d_adams / September 4, 2009 9:52 PM PDT

1. when your getting antivirus software, try to get something that doesn't require you to do much, and that doesn't take up much of your computer resources in the background. Get something that's "invisible". I personally use Windows Live OneCare on one PC and Norton on another. Both seem to be pretty good programs, but I prefer OneCare because it seems to be a little more invisible than Norton and it seems to work better with Windows (I guess because it's a Microsoft Product). It's also going to become a free Microsoft service next year. There are many other programs as well, but I can't tell you much about them since I haven't tried them.

2. Set the disk defragment tool (In the accessories, start menu folder) to defragment your hard disk once a week. If you use OneCare antivirus, you can set it to do this too when it preforms it's monthly tune-up. This will keep the disk from ever becoming fragmented, and keep the system's data easily accessible.

3. If you haven't already, then get rid of any trial or unnecessary software that came installed on your machine.

4. Enjoy your new machine! That's about everything I usually do.

Collapse -
How to setup
by dklindt / September 4, 2009 9:57 PM PDT

The very best antivirus,spyware,and firewall is "CA Internet Security Suite". Also a program to run at shutdown each time, There is a program called "Sweepi" from Yooapps.com. Sweepi is free, CA costs about $60.00.

Collapse -
Contrasting tips.
by Kees Bakker / September 4, 2009 10:02 PM PDT

- Windows Live One Care is being phased out by Microsoft. So I wouldn't go that way. For a free antivirus many members of these forums use AVG Free, Avast! or Avira. Personally, I like Avast most.

- Defragging once a week is unnecessary. Most systems function fine if you do it never. I should limit it to a few times a year at most.

Kees

Collapse -
This is what I do for all my notebooks
by nino8888 / September 4, 2009 10:08 PM PDT

1. Download and install Antivirus (AVG free)
2. Download and install firewall (for XP, I use ZoneAlarm and Vista64 I use Comodo ; both are free ones). If you do this, make sure you turn off Windows Firewall. Not a good idea to run 2 firewalls.
3. Extra protection, I download and install : Spybot, Spywareblaster, Malwarebites, and lastly since my last virus attack, I install and Autorun eater (Bob's advise).
4. For cleaning, I use CCleaner for all computers.
5. Uninstall all unnecessary softwares those come with the laptops.
6. Check the startup programs either from MSCONFIG or CCleaner and uncheck those that not required for start up.

I think freewares nowadays are as good for endusers.

Oh, don't forget to update your windows.

Have fun with your new laptop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.