Computer Help

Question

bought a new headset and found out my speakers are the prob

by Dylanlmao / May 23, 2013 6:29 AM PDT

Hey, i have a big problem with my computers speakers. About a week ago my sound started to mess up and the only way to hear anything with my headset was to plug it in only half way, if it was plugged in the whole way i couldnt hear anything at all. With it plugged in half way though I can barely hear at all. I bought a new headset and have the exact same problem so i know its my computer. This is a 2011 hp computer and OS is windows 7. I googled my problem and some people talk about sound cards and drivers so I dont know what i need to fix my computer. I have teamviewer if someone wants to come on my computer and try to help if needed. This is unbearable and i really need it fixed!

speakers name is Realtek High Definition Audio

driver name is RTKVHD64.sys

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: bought a new headset and found out my speakers are the prob
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: bought a new headset and found out my speakers are the prob
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That sounds like

That sounds like, if you'll pardon the pun, you have a bad audio jack. That in turn, since it's an integrated audio chip, means motherboard replacement. So if the unit isn't under warranty, I'd just spend $50 or whatever on a new sound card rather than a couple hundred getting a new motherboard. If you want to try using google to read up on ways to attempt repairing the bent pins inside the jack you can, but it's probably just going to make things worse if you attempt that.

Collapse -
hey
by Dylanlmao / May 23, 2013 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: That sounds like

So what do you think i should do? I dont even know what a sound card is. I bought this computer at best buy in 2011, so to fix this bad audio jack what do i have to do?

Collapse -
Depends
by Jimmy Greystone / May 23, 2013 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: hey

Depends. If you bought one of Best Buy's store warranties, and it's still valid, then take it to them and make them fix it for you. Otherwise, go to Best Buy, or some other electronics store, and ask an employee to point you to their sound cards. It's basically card that you install inside the computer. If yours is a laptop, they have USB models as well.

They will not likely have more than 2-3 options for sound cards, just make sure whichever one you get lists Windows 7 as a supported OS.

Collapse -
Answer
Does not sound like a driver issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 6:38 AM PDT

That sounds like a bad jack and as this is hardware you should not find it fixable by drivers or letting folk onto your computer.
Bob

Collapse -
You have choices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 7:09 AM PDT

You didn't write if budget was an issue or if you have any warranty left. Here's a replacement sound card that plugs into the USB port for a few bucks. Folk use this to avoid the service counter and other reasons.

I'll supply an example link but these are at many outlets. http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Channel-External-Sound-Adapter/dp/B0027EMHM6/

This costs under 5 bucks so a cheep fix.
Bob

Collapse -
hey
by Dylanlmao / May 23, 2013 4:57 PM PDT
In reply to: You have choices.

um no i can spend some money and i dont have any warranty on my computer. what should i do? i cant hear anything at all now from my speakers

Collapse -
Re: what should I do
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 6:05 PM PDT

Buy that $5 thing.

Kees

Collapse -
hey
by Dylanlmao / May 23, 2013 6:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: what should I do

so what do i do when i get this "audio adapter" ive never had anything like this. plug it in the back of my computer and then what..?

Collapse -
Re: and then what?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 7:24 PM PDT

1. If it comes with drivers you install those.
2. You plug your speakers in.
3. You start listening.
That's the idea.

Kees

Collapse -
Good idea!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2013 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: and then what?

This one is so good that I have one of these in my bag of tricks.

Do you recall Felix the Cat's bag?
Bob

Collapse -
??
by Dylanlmao / May 24, 2013 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: and then what?

i sent an order for the adapter but you wont tell me specifically what it does. i plug my headset into the front of my computer to hear but now the speaker jack is messed up. so when i get the adapter i put it in the back of my usb port and then plug my headset into the adapter or what?

Collapse -
here ya go
by itsdigger / May 24, 2013 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: ??

Plug the Sound Adapter into your USB port, and then plug your headphones into the Adapter. Ta-Da! 7.1 Channel sound without the investment in a whole set of speakers! Tired of trying to stretch your cables around the back of your computer? Plug this Adapter into a USB port on the front, and use the headphone jack (for output) or the microphone jack (for input). The USB Virtual 7.1 Channel Sound Adapter is a highly flexible audio interface which can be used either with desktop or notebook systems. Comes bundled with Xear 3D Sound simulation software, and turns your stereo speaker or earphones into a 7.1 channel environment! USB2.0 Full-Speed (12Mbps) Specification USB HID Class Specification 1.1 USB Audio Device Class Specification 1.0. USB bus-powered, no external power required. Connectors: USB Type A, Stereo output jack, mono microphone input jack Xear 3D virtual 7.1 channel sound simulation software for Windows XP / Vista is included Functions keys: Microphone-Mute, Speaker-Mute, Volume-Up and Volume-Down LED indicators: Microphone-Mute Status, Activity Plug and Play. No drivers required for Windows 98SE / ME / 2000 / XP / Server 2003 / Vista, Linux, MacOS Dimensions: 2.25" x 1.0" x .50" Package Includes: -- 1 x 7.1 Channel External USB Audio Sound Card Adapter -- 1 x Software Disc for Xear 3D

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.