Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

Both browsers freeze

by LaVerne / August 18, 2006 9:52 PM PDT

I went through all the forums and past discussions but couldn't find a solution to my particular problem.

We have 2 computer both hooked up to the same Linksys router, both Windows XP, and same anti virus and spyware programs. On this computer both IE and Firefox will freeze after a while. No problems on the other computer. For instance, if I'm on Google News, I can read maybe 5 or 6 articles then it freezes. Sometimes I can correct it by closing out the browser(IE or Firefox) and restarting. Sometimes I have to log off my computer completely. And I'm not sure it's just a browser issue as I cannot connect to my email server when this happens. This is a new computer (Dell E510) and I even went to the extreme of reinstalling Windows but it still does the same thing. I've tried everything I can think of. Any suuggestions would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Both browsers freeze
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Both browsers freeze
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Swap router ports?
by Coryphaeus / August 18, 2006 10:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Both browsers freeze
Collapse -
Thank you much
by LaVerne / August 21, 2006 1:30 AM PDT

I wanted to check it for a couple of days to make sure but that seems to have done the trick. I've been trying everything I could think of to fix it for several weeks. I can't believe it was such a simple solution. But another question is Why? I've had the router for a little less than a year and never had a problem. What would cause one of the ports to suddenly malfunction? Thanks again

Collapse -
Gremlins?
by Coryphaeus / August 22, 2006 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you much

Who knows. If it's still in warranty you might try for a replacement. Devices do die, some earlier than others.

Glad it's fixed.

On a thought. Take a look at the inside of the jack and make sure there's no corrosion or loose pins, the little thingies that make contact with the plug. If they aren't down enough the connection may be loose.

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
Nealy identical problem. Thanks - you saved a lot of time.
by Prandy / August 23, 2006 2:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Both browsers freeze

Click on my profile. Notice my wife and I have two computers (including an DELL E510) running on a Linksys router both with nearly the identical problem you described - despite squeaky clean computers.

I spent hours on the phone with SBC after getting constant error messages about browser crash on BOTH computers.

Bottom line: Disconnected the Linksys router and ran the one chord direct from the DSL modem to each computer. Now we can have only one computer hooked to the internet but whichever one it it is, it works perfect so I am going to buy another brand of router. (Our Linksys is 3 months past warranty).

Thanks so much for helping us solve our problem! My wife wants to give you a big hug since I was obsessed with getting it fixed.

I hope some day I can return the favor. To others: If you are sure your computers are clean; check the router FIRST by totally disconnecting it from your system and going direct from the DSL modem to the computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.