TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Bose wave radio: one or more cd stuck or jammed inside

by pj1cnet / March 20, 2011 3:37 AM PDT

If you have a cd or two stuck in your Bose wave radio, here's how to remove it and save yourself $99. This procedure is for the radio (model AWRCC1 or similar) with a single front loading cd slot.

1. First unplug the power, wait a minute, and then replug power, watching the front display.
2. The display will read "Ejecting". If the cd ejects, then you're done and can skip Part II. If it doesn't eject and/or it displays "Disk error" then you'll need to do the Part II steps.

1. Unplug the power cord.
2. Turn the radio upside down with the front facing you.
3. Remove the 5 screws from the bottom plate.
4. Hinge the front of the bottom plate up no more than 2". Don't overdo this or you'll damage various ribbon cables inside. Use extra hands or a prop to keep it open this amount.
5. Reach inside and tilt-up the front of cd player's metal housing just enough to access the rims of the cd(s) within the space created in step 4.
6. Pinch the rim(s) of the cd(s) and gently pull it/them out.
7. Reverse these steps to reassemble your radio.

Enjoy your cd player again!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bose wave radio: one or more cd stuck or jammed inside
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bose wave radio: one or more cd stuck or jammed inside
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Created bigger problems
by Csutton72 / May 26, 2011 11:47 AM PDT

I too had a cd stuck in my Bose Wave player, and I followed your instructions. However, after I closed the player, it won't take cd's at all anymore; feels like the cd's metal housing box is too low, and the "clips" won't open for my cd to go in. What do I do now?

Collapse -
me too
by Puff66 / June 10, 2011 8:33 PM PDT

Hi. I have exactly the same problem as you. I lifted the bottom up to take out the cd, and now i can't insert a cd into the player. Have you had any success yet?

Collapse -
Missed an obvious step
by bruce_graham / August 16, 2011 12:01 AM PDT

In Part II above, the author goes down the wrong path by continuing to work on the device while it's still upside down. After removing the five screws, flip the device right side up, then simply lift the cover off. It's a tight fit and there's not much clearance, but if you lift the cover straight up, you'll be fine. It goes without saying that you have to unplug the power cord from the back of the device.

With the cover off, it's easy to follow how the CD is going into the machine and being ejected. In my case, there was just enough friction during the loading process to prevent the device from pulling the CD into the caddy completely, but I found that if I tapped the CD as it went in, this overcame the friction.

Collapse -
That's got it!
by stuckcd / December 19, 2011 10:27 PM PST
In reply to: Missed an obvious step

Worked on my Boser right-side-up. <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> I left in the screw nearest the back to safeguard alignment. Grabbed the one of the two cd's I had forced in. When I turned on the unit again it smoothly ejected the properly loaded disc. Plays perfectly now.

Thanks so much for your help; like an early Christmas present!

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you
by Healthdoc100 / June 2, 2012 7:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
by MikaelwiththeBose / July 27, 2013 8:23 AM PDT

Followed your instructions to the letter. There ended up being a homemade cd stuck inside, and the cd label how some came lose, causing a paper jam with the cd being stuck. All is well! Thanks a million.

Collapse -
ask and you shall recieive
by weesiekitty / November 4, 2014 4:04 AM PST

I followed your lifted off effortlessly and cd removed. Plays great again. I tried the shaking and holding upside down thing....that has worked before, but this time it didn't. I've found that the non-professional cd's with paper labels will many times cause this problem. Will try to stay away from those!

Collapse -
Found simpler solution
by David4511 / May 22, 2013 9:22 AM PDT

Great instructions, but I just shook the machine and it ejected fine.

Collapse -
by Hikerdudette / June 23, 2013 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Found simpler solution

Just shaking worked! No unscrewing needed!

Thank you.

Collapse -
Bose wave radio:one or more stuck discs
by grananfi / June 22, 2013 8:22 PM PDT

Followed instruction in Part 2. No problems until I tried to get the disc out. It would not budge even when using small pliers! Thought What now? So I plugged the power cord in. CD tray came to life, and I was able to remove the disc.. Reassembled the Bose, and tried another CD(original ruined). Played, and ejected faultlessly.

Collapse -
cd stuck
by happyhamptongirl / July 15, 2013 12:44 AM PDT

Bravo !! My daughter got her Bose for a graduation present from her fav. aunti 8 yrs. ago .Her aunt has since passed . I have been using it for a few yrs. now . I was in a panic that it was broken !! My daughter would not be a happy camper !! I followed your instructions and so far so good .. Thanks so much !!

Collapse -
Part 1 worked for me
by Jorj_X_McKie / November 10, 2013 5:31 AM PST

I only had one stuck disk that wouldn't read or eject. The unplug trick worked. Thanks!

Collapse -
cd's unstuck, now grinding!
by scotty2468 / February 28, 2014 9:05 AM PST

kids had 2 cd's jammed in there. i was able to remove them.

now, the player will not fully accept a new disc on its own. after giving it some assistance, it accepted the disc in whole - and then grinds on the disc for a few seconds before telling me DISC ERROR. it will not eject the disc fine, but will not read any discs (tried 4 different discs).

Collapse -
Here's a FAQ on CD/DVD repairs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2014 9:17 AM PST
Collapse -
CD stuck in Bose Wave
by LinShall / March 15, 2014 7:35 AM PDT

Thank you,
I'm a Newbie to this forum because of you. To find exact instructions on my first search is a wonder to behold.

Collapse -
Here's a thread on the subject
by itsdigger / March 15, 2014 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: CD stuck in Bose Wave
Collapse -
Unplugging the Bose worked for me.
by IgnatiiusOfLoyola / December 13, 2014 5:45 AM PST

The instructions in Part I is all I needed.

Thanks for saving the musical part of this Christmas season of 2014.

Collapse -
Unplugging the Bose Wave worked for me too.
by mrkeeze / December 19, 2014 2:12 AM PST

Had a CD stuck in the 4th CD slot and unplugged the Bose and counted to 10 and then repowered the Bose then held down the eject button on the remote and the CD came right out. Have had it only since May of 2014. mrkeeze

Collapse -
Simple alternative method of stuck CD retrieval
by Sheafe / September 18, 2015 1:05 PM PDT

After asking for help to retrieve a stuck CD from my Bose wave.... I read the replies... and began the process described above *However*... I noticed the very edge of the CD at the opening of the slot... which suggested to me I could retrieve the CD by using a thin credit card, around which I folded some packing tape... the usual (like 3M) clear sticky tape... around the end of the card.... sticky side *out* then pushed the card into the CD slot, lifted up on one end (to have the tape bear down on the CD,)
Whereupon, the tape stuck to the CD, and when I pulled the card out, the CD came with it.
Worth a try before attempting other methods.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.