TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

bose vs. Sony?

by dtrain72 / April 30, 2007 12:46 PM PDT

anyone have a strong opinion on the bose 321 vs. the sony dav x1? i am a little shocked at the price difference, sony being about half as much. most reviews give the sony system a better review, i just dont get it.. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: bose vs. Sony?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: bose vs. Sony?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Surely you are new here. There have been more than one
by NM_Bill / April 30, 2007 2:31 PM PDT
In reply to: bose vs. Sony?

extended Bose thread. There are Bose bashers. There are Bose lovers. A bunch of us old audio buffs generally feel Bose is a marvel of marketing but not state of the art, prone to bothersome proprietary connection things, not high quality innerds & not fine value. We feel a little learning & footwork will get people more long term satisfication by auditioning a few good speaker brands to go along with a moderately priced amp or receiver.

Speakers are the most personal selection of an audio or A/V set up. Good speaker selection will get you sound to be pleased with for many years. For the audio portion of a set up we recommend you budget around 75% for speakers & 25% for the receiver.

Speakers are best made by companies specializing in speakers, not components. Speakers may seem expensive up ront but they basically don't wear out & get replaced like components.

We feel it is important enough to invest some time. Don't take credit cards with you, but seriously listen to at least three trustworthy brands of speakers. I say only two brands a day as hearing is a fleeting experience & confusion comes so easily.

Take at least one CD you are very familiar with & it should contain a decent portion of vocals because unlike Star Wars effects you know how voices should sound. No speakers are perfect. Speaker brands tend to have a same character of sound reproduction within their lines. Take notes at to things like shrillness, boominess, thinness & any distortion heard.

Listen from solid brands such as JBL, Klipsch, Polk, Infinity, & Boston Acoustics.

I would add such specific models as Paradigm Atom, PSB Alpha B, Epos ELS 3, Monitor Audio Bronze B2, Klipsch RF-52, & Energy RC-50 if you run across them as they are examples of highly regarded value.

If interested, post back with details like your budget & what you expect from these speakers if used with what possible HGTV for broadcast sound, DVDs or whatever.

Sonys better reviewed? Yes, along with a slew of others. I'm not saying Bose can't sound pretty pleasant.

Collapse -
NM Bill- Old audio buff.
by Acoustikdreamer / June 4, 2007 10:50 AM PDT

I will stick up for Bose on this one because you mention JBL, Klipsch, Polk, Infinity, & Boston Acoustics. These are all companies who bashed Bose for having small speakers and then later produced them as well, the same companies that said it is impossible to get good sound from something small. I am a musician and audio eng. for a major label(I promise you own an album I mixed). I have to say go audition each system you are considering, the advice to take your own music was good. While in the store learn to operate the system to see how easy it is for you to use. I am one who loves to adjust knobs but at home I do not have the proper equipment to change it from cd to cd or movie to movie. All cds and movies are recorded differntly so anyone who says put this disc in and calibrate it and everything will be better is lying. I enjoy the Bose tech for this. They have some technologies that do this for you and are constantly adjusting from media to media, I cant even do it better by ear. I like the natrual reproduction of sound Bose delivers. I have a system that outperforms it but it is also about 7 times the price. When it comes to proprietary connection things I would say this is a very good thing because you do not have any worries of corrosion at terminals and they are not even proprietary when it comes to speaker wire, they use an RCA connection for POS/NEG connections which makes it a solid connection and easy to setup. I will give you my two cents now. If you are an Rich audiophile buy German Physik Gaudi speakers with a Krell amp and then have it professionally calibrated, if you want to become an audiophile without selling your house and you want the home theatre system you buy work for you instead of you having to work the system then go to a Bose dealer and talk. Hope this helps

Collapse -
Shades of one of those threads that won't die. Preferring
by NM_Bill / June 4, 2007 11:30 AM PDT

convenience is fine. A basher, no; critic, yes. Never an audiophile, a sound/music wannabee of 45 years, yes. When the direct/reflecting 901s came out, I got a rush from the sound until I A/Bd them. The old 901s needed a prodigious amp to drive them well. Very inefficient. At the time I chose Polks over Bose. Eventually preferring a transparent sound stage over rock type, I replaced them with less expensive Missions.

Dr. Amar Bose begat a mass marketer selling convenience & having that WAF (wife approval factor) of neatness with little maze of wires. My grandson even won one of the two sets they give away annually. Impressive home theater effect.

My music is largely classic rock, blues & some jazz; most recorded long ago, perhaps remastered for CD. Ambitious for speakers, nah. I still do have my c.1963 Tannoy dual concentrics in the homely enclosures I built from plans from the dealer. Big sound.

A lot of welcome technology since then. Those "respectable" 60s receivers were mostly really bad compared to decent budget units today. I have gotten to joining in when newbies ask about a sound set up, because I like to encourage those who will go beyond HTIBs & convince them that respectable speakers that will provide sartisfying sound for many years, are a good investment. An urge to try to buy once & buy right. Doesn't most everything we waited payday to payday for wind up just being "stuff" & actually a liability? I choose my cars with care & average 10 years for them. Nice that WalMart has an "enlightened" policy giving public access to their recycling dumpsters, but aren't they a major contributor to trash? (often unneeded)

Collapse -
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND EITHER ONE.
by Riverledge / April 30, 2007 2:52 PM PDT

FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, I'D say do more research on both C-Net and the AVS forums. Maybe, that seems a bit short, but you're the one spending the money. What's your budget?

Help us help you!!!

River.

Collapse -
price range
by dtrain72 / May 1, 2007 3:51 AM PDT

i live in a real small place so thats the reason i initially asked about the bose 321 and sonys simialr looking version. they both sounded good to me in the store but i think that is a hard environment to get a feel. this is the first time i have used this site for any research. as far as price range, i am willing to go as high as 1k

Collapse -
THOUGH I DON'T MAKE IT A HABIT TO RECOMMEND HTIB SYSTEMS....
by Riverledge / May 1, 2007 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: price range

THERE ARE TWO I'D SUGGEST, the ONKYO HT-SR790 and its slightly more expensive sibling the HT-SR800(has HDMI.) Both are selling for less than $500, have received great reviews, and they are widely available. Circuit City has it, as well as some the best Mail Order houses. J&R, Crutchfield's, Amazon, among others. Whether you set it up for 5.1 or 7.1; it's a very BIG bang for the bucks. Check out PriceGrabber and NexTAG more stores and prices. Should do pretty well in a 12'x12' room.

Best wishes,
River.

Collapse -
Then $600~700 for speakers and the rest for the AV receiver.
by jcrobso / May 1, 2007 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: price range

I will say ditto to what River and NM_Bill have to say.
Take you time listing to speakers, good speakers can last a lifetime. John

Collapse -
by jonnybones / May 1, 2007 10:14 AM PDT

If you want 2.1 surround sound, wait until the bose 321 system is updated with HDMI later this year, then get that. Denon makes one, but i can talk louder than it can play. The sony one, even though it has HDMI upconversion, just plain out sucks.

Collapse -
Go to a dealer and listen to both
by intrepi / May 4, 2007 1:52 PM PDT

If you are in doubt, I'd go to a dealer and listen to both with the same pair of head phones as a different area can render a different sound. I like to listen and adjust the levels or base, treble with all other settings the same for both remaining constant. Bose makes high quality stuff as does Denon but with the newer high tech Sony, it's a matter of choice. Read reviews, consider the costs, self evaluate both by headphones and then decide.

Collapse -
Watch what display
by jcbrowns / June 4, 2007 2:14 PM PDT

you are listening to them in.
There is a sweet yamaha system I like but the display is in a V shaped type of display. Of course the sound is being closed in to you and sounds great. But step away from that display a few feet, it still sounds good but not as great.

I would listen to whatever system you are thinking about in an open air space. then pick the best sounding. Put them both on equal playing fields. Just my .02.

Collapse -
Bose vs. Sony
by Dan Filice / June 5, 2007 6:19 AM PDT

Personally I wouldn't buy the Bose or the Sony. The one thing that hasn't been mentioned about Bose (the one reason I won't buy it), is that it's nothing more than a high-end theater-in-a-box design. The reciver and DVD player are all-in-one. I do not personally like the subwoofer (that the other speakers plug into). I personally prefer to buy my own pieces of the puzzle. For instance, for $150, you can buy an OPPO DVD player that is at the top of the DVD reviews for technical specs. But even for $99, you can buy a DVD player that will match and exceed the DVD player that is built into either the Bose or Sony systems. Then buy a receiver, a sub and satellite speakers, and you've got a nice system. For the price of the Bose system, you can do nicely. A home-theater-in-a-box system generally has lousy speakers, although there are some that have received good reviews.

Collapse -
Listen to Dan the Man. He knows whereof he speaks. Rock
by NM_Bill / June 5, 2007 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Bose vs. Sony

solid recommendations.

Collapse -
do some research.
by AudiophileHelp / July 23, 2012 3:18 AM PDT

There is a reason Bose is pricier than Sony. The quality is incomparable. I do recommend, although, that you look at some other brands. Bose is very pricey. If you have a budget, I would recommend the Klipsch iGroove SXT speakers or iGroove HG. They're of great sound quality and the bass is amazing. If you're looking for something pricier I would recommend Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air.

You're welcome.

Collapse -
Mods, please close the thread (from 2007) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / July 23, 2012 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: do some research.

n/t

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.