TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

BOSE good or bad?

by aloha84 / December 18, 2005 3:08 PM PST

is the bose home theather system good or bad? for example the Acoustimass 16 home entertainment speaker system.

and what about the 3.2.1. GS II systeM?

Appreciated!

p.s.

whats ur favorite home theather system? sound and performance wise... or whats ur dream system? thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BOSE good or bad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BOSE good or bad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My system is Bose. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 18, 2005 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: BOSE good or bad?

It totally depends on what sounds good to you. And how much money you want to spend. I sell some Boston speakers that are close to a grand each, but no way in Hell would I buy one. They are more of a status symbol, and good sound depends on the amp as much as the speakers.

Collapse -
Boston speaker are in no way a stutus symbol
by lotusm50 / March 19, 2010 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: My system is Bose. . .

$1000 for a pair of speakers in really mid-priced. Really good bookshelf speakers cost over $2000. Boston speakers for a grand are FAR, FAR from a status symbol. They are a perfectly ordinary mass-produced speaker, of average sound quality.

I do agree, however, that good sound depends on the amp as much as the speaker (and on the pre-amp and source, as well).

Collapse -
Good Sound ... BAD Value
by TiVolution / December 18, 2005 10:33 PM PST

BOSE PROS:
- BOSE sounds good (but not great)
- Innovative designs (high WAF)
- Easy to use
- Have an aura to them such that your friends who don't know a lot about hi-fi will think you have a really great system.

BOSE CONS:
- Expensive for what you get.
- Leave a lot to be desired in the low range
- Leave a lot to be desired in the midrange
- Your audiophile friends will scold you for buying them

Many people buy BOSE because they are BOSE. These folks rarely listen to other brands. I think BOSE is the "safe bet" (and I don't mean that in a nice way)

I think it is fun to look around and definitely think that you should. You can find a system that is much better for what you'll spend on BOSE.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No highs, No lows,,must be B@se!
by jcrobso / December 20, 2005 12:37 AM PST
Collapse -
BOSE = the best sound in the world !!
by toronto_guy / December 19, 2006 7:27 AM PST

Be aware of those nitwitt bashing bose speakers, paid by competition to tarnish the best makers of speakers in the WORLD.

Collapse -
Just some FYI!!!!!!
by jcrobso / December 20, 2006 2:11 AM PST

I don't work for ANY speaker company!!!
I work for a FM radio station!!
My opinions are MY OWN!!!!
I have worked for 40 years part time as free lance sound engineer!
I had heard many, many different speakers over the years!!!
I have never heard a Bo$e speaker that I liked!!!
Bo$e=the best sound in the world??? NOT!!!
Pigs will fly before that happens!!! John

Collapse -
Re: BOSE = the best sound in the world !!
by jah305 / December 21, 2006 1:43 AM PST

You obviously haven't listened to a pair of speakers outside of a circuit city or best buy, or you just have the worst hearing in the WORLD. Bose is probably one of the best MARKETED speakers in the world and that's it. They are far from good, none the less the best.

I don't work for any speaker company or music company, but listen to any Bang and Olufsen speaker system for example, and you will know right away that BOSE sucks!!!

Collapse -
If not BOSS, then what?
by kozlowtw / January 16, 2007 12:27 PM PST

If not BOSS, then what? And if not in BestBuy or CircuitCity then where??

Collapse -
For the money
by ns387241 / July 11, 2007 3:30 PM PDT

Try JBL or Klipsch. They both blow away Bose in Many respects.

Collapse -
Everyone Thinks Differently.
by llaccount / June 19, 2011 1:21 PM PDT

Look sir I personally have in my posession a pair of Bose IE2 headphones, Bose OE Headphones, Bose Quiet Comfort Headphones, Bose Companion 2 Series II, Bose iPod Sound Dock, And some kind of Bose Surround Sound System. Now I also have some JBL, and there is Some kind of Sony System in my moms van, and dads truck(it was a special). Now I will tell you that I am only but 12, turning 13 this WEEK. Let me Give the Pros, and Cons of Bose then I will Compair them to the other speakers.

Pros: Excellent Sound Quality
Small Compact Design
Price is Cheap for what you get compared to the Beats by Dr.Dre
Very Comfortable(Headphones)
They Really Work

Now I know that I am a child and I can be rough will my things so this goes into the Cons section.

Cons: Not as durable(Depending on Who uses them)
Some models could be cheaper(A suggestion would be to get used ones, thats what I do.)
Some models provide a "wavy" experience due to hight bass levels

Other than these Cons Bose really do meet the old saying "you get what you pay for". Now for the Comparison There will Be three Test. Setup, Portability, and Use(Bass, Treble, etc) I will test as fair as I can. Here are the test results: Test Results
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catagory |||Bose JBL Sony
Setup Plug and play Uses Wireles Speakers OK Uses Plugs Terrible Uses Wire
Portability Excellent Handle,Wrap Up Cord, Etc Good Light Easy Terrible Old, Heavy, etc
Bass Good Provides Wavy Sound When There is to much bass OK Awesome, Deep bass,Heavy
Treble Awesome No Cracks To Much Like Bose
etc Altogether Good OK Great For Song with alot of Bass

Overall: Bose: Good For People who want Small, easy to set up, but loud Speakers
JBL: Terrible when Too Loud.
Sony: Good for people who love bass

Next time Please Put this at the end of your Statement "This is only but my opinion" And try to keep these speakers for a minimum of 1 year and then come back and rate. Dont have people Confused.
Now that I have the Research testing out of the way Let me give some advice to the People.
GUYS IF YOU WANT CHEAP GET JBL IF YOU WANT BASS GET SONY, OR THE BEATS BY DR.DRE, AND IF YOU WANT QUALITY BUT YOU KNOW HOW TO BE DELICATE WITH THE PRODUCT AND IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY GET BOSE I RECOMMEND THEM. I WILL ALSO RECOMMEND GOING TO A BOSE RETAIL STORE AND ACTUALLY TRYING THEM OUT, THEN SO YOU CAN SAVE MONEY I RECOMMEND YOU GOING TO SOMEWHERE LIKE AMAZON, OR EBAY I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL CUSTOMER TO THEM FOR 3 YEARS EACH THATS RIGHT SINCE I WAS 10 I ROUNDED AND YOU GET REAL GOOD SERVICE SO DON'T TAKE MY WORD OR HIS GO TRY THEM OUT YOURSELF THIS IS MY OPINION ALONG WITH ACTUAL TEST PLEASE COMMENT AND REPLY...

Collapse -
Beware the BOSE hype machine
by jrjomo / January 4, 2007 11:35 PM PST

If you can find anywhere "Tweeter/HiFi Sounds" that has a BOSE Accoustimass 16 set-up in a display room with any other system at near the same price, like say a Denon receiver with Mirage speakers. Just ask the tech there to play both for you and you'll laugh even in a sound proof room. The best way to describe BOSE "Superior" sound is Flat. The highs sound like cheap paper tweeter, the mids are almost non-existent and cloudy, and the bass is boomy/muddy and doesn't pick-up low frequencies. I tell everyone to take your favorite cd and a cd that has one song on it that has the widest spectrum of sound on it. "The Intro track on Outkast's SpeakerBoxx" is perfect for testing even if you're not a fan. I'm sorry, but for the price of a BOSE system you can do much better. Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, or Infinity. These are lower priced products with much better SQ.

Collapse -
i do that everyday
by lmckines2 / January 16, 2007 4:16 PM PST

i do actually a-b the bose with mirage speakers on a daily basis. i have the mirage hooked to an hk 645 and the bose hooked up to an hk 144. the mirage sound much much much much better than the bose, but the speakers cost three times as much. i have the bose in my home office, a much smaller space to fill. they don't have the depth or volume as the mirage, but then i don't expect them to. but they don't sound bad for 900.00. it is true you can find better speakers in the price range if you do your homework, but this is mostly a personal listening and lifestyle choice. also, every set of speakers on the planet has its strenghs and weaknesses so there is no perfect pair. just do your homework and buy what you like. there are plenty of expensive speakers on the market that really do sound bad. in my experience bose, at least the A.M. 10v4 sound pretty good for what they cost. expensive? no. but then they don't sound like it either.

Collapse -
speakerbox
by lmckines2 / January 16, 2007 4:22 PM PST

you are soooo right about the intro to speakerbox.

Collapse -
BOSE = Bose O So **** Expensive
by Yunks / February 13, 2007 5:30 AM PST

Hey, i used to LUV bose....... but after research etc. i must have to admit that they are RWALLY expensive. I am not judging by what others say but by my OWN ears!!!

However i MUST admit BOSE car systs. such as in AUDI are DAM GOOD!)

Collapse -
Dummie
by macman21 / February 10, 2008 3:42 AM PST

good speaker are bose i like bose somewhat but if you want good speakers go with Roland, Edirol, M-Audio, Audio engines, best speakers youll hear especially if you hook them up to a sound card

Collapse -
Calm down.
by depichu / September 7, 2010 9:35 AM PDT

When you speak like that, it's hard to establish any credibility.

My father bought bose and I thought "hey, cool, I heard these were great speakers!". Guess what, that's all they were, really well marketed because they could of fooled me. Even my dad, who isn't as much of an audiophile (who scolded me for spending more than 75$ on headphones), knew he was had. Luckily, he got them discounted 35% off, but even at the price he paid, it still left a sour taste in his mouth and a ringing in his ears.

That's not to say that ALL bose products are "terrible" or "suck". On the contrary, if I would recommend any bose products to friends, since most people are ipod people, the bose sound dock is surprisingly good, with great highs, decent mid and low frequency reproduction. Not even "for a dock" quality, it rivals alot of dedicated 2.1 systems if not bests them. And their sound isolating headphones that I've tried are actually pretty good, but I wouldn't spent that much on that. Sorry, Bose just does not deliver dollar for dollar is all I'm saying, and their are SO MANY alternatives if people would just take the time to look.

I own, Grado SR80s, SR225s, AKG 3100, and a klipshe AV system for my PC/home entertainment in my room. I'm not loyal to any company dude, just a product that delivers what I want and need at a good price.

And for that reason, Bose does suck, in the same way other companies with a great marketing team sucks. Less marketing, more research.

Collapse -
of course its expensive
by aaqq11 / October 17, 2006 9:32 AM PDT

I know that for most normal people that they find bose expensive but if you think about it because they sound so good you have to pay a premium in order to get the product.That means that its going to be expensive. i've got a Bose 48 lifestyle system that sounds way better that a sony one that I used to own. Bose products are for people who really appreciate good sound. If you don't which many people don't then you complain that Bose is too expensive. plus if you compare bose to other home theater systems of that stature you may even see it as a good value.

Collapse -
So...
by ns387241 / July 11, 2007 3:43 PM PDT

You're the type of guy that spent $4,000.00 on your Bose system and now you think you're the ****. For half the price I could build a better sounding, more reliable system. If you bought Bose, you don't appreciate good sound, rather you compriamised on sound for aesthetics. Bose = Buy Other Sound Equipment. They use paper cones with foam surrounds, which will deteriorate within the next 10-12 years under normal use. They have no internal bracing and no insulation, so cabinet coloration is huge. This means the sound performance will go from bad to worse over the next 10-12 years. Consumer Reports even hates them (and thats saying something). Back in 1981, Bose sued consumer reports for a bad report on their speakers. Consumer Reports won. Bose is soley living off their name that they made ONLY from marketing in the first place.
The Better System:
Klipsch B-2 pair
Klipsch C-2
Klipsch S-2 pair
Klipsch SUB-12
Yamaha RXV-461
This is approx 2k and so much better than bose it's not even funny. Plus these have studio insulation, internal cabinet bracing, polypropelene woofers with rubber surrounds and aluminium tweeters. These Klipsch are going nowhere. Beat that, and do listen to them first before rashly responding, as I would like a real challenge for once from a Bose fan.

Collapse -
Good Sound ... BAD Value
by judoboricua / December 28, 2006 12:25 AM PST

I agree completly with you. For the money you will expend in a BOSE system you can get a better quality, performance,and sounding system!

Collapse -
I hope the Bose people dont read this ha ha
by stewart norrie / December 20, 2005 8:10 AM PST

Before I bought my Atlantic Technology speakers I heard a Bose demo event at Frys, during the Demo the volume was so low that you could barly hear them. When the Bose salesman gave a pitch after the demo. I asked why they played it so soft and he changed the subjet. marry xmas stewart norrie

Collapse -
so soft and he changed the subject.
by jcrobso / December 22, 2005 1:46 AM PST

Well the old saying still goes "If you can't dazzle them with brillance, baffle them with BULL". John

Collapse -
BOSE 321
by hovglove / September 15, 2006 4:14 AM PDT

I have a BOSE 3-2-1...these systems sound great in a store cranked up but they lose their ommppphhhh when you bring them home...quality is a BIG issue...the DVD tray is TERRIBLE..at times opening and closing 1/2 way..no eject on the remote....just not worth the money when there are so many other HTIB for half the money that provides comparable sound...I've had mine for about 3-4 years and am not impressed....

I've read about the new Sharp HTIB on CNET as well as Sherwood has one and also Philips which upscales for 1/2 the price...

Collapse -
Suckers Trash
by EXCON / February 13, 2007 8:57 PM PST

Bose lives off the uninformed consumer. Anyone who takes the time will find they can easily purchase QUALITY COMPONENTS for the same or less than BOSE TRASH. When you buy BOSE your buying MARKETING. Name ONE COMPANY that sells stereo equipment in shopping malls! Its actually quite funny how people still think this garbage is actually "high end audio" when in fact its LOW END TRASH!

Collapse -
Unimpressive
by slurp321 / December 20, 2005 12:50 PM PST

In my house we have several home stereos from a sony home theatre system, a bose 321 system, and a top of the line yamaha system with all bower and wilkin speakers with a velodyne dual 12 subwoofer. To be honest I am very unimpressed with the 321 system. The dvd player quality in my honest opinion is very poor and the sound when hooked up to another dvd optically is not that great. Granted that I judge every system off my top of the line system in my family room, I still dont see the value in the 321 system. I have a sony htib system for my bedroom and that sounds very decent for the 400 dollars that I spent on it. If I was someone looking at the 321 i would probably look at all individual equipment in that price range. But to be honest, if your going to spend that much, spend a little more and go for all top of the line equipment. That yamaha is over 6 years old and still one of the nicest systems I have ever heard. The 321 is only good for music, mainly jazz and classical, but who only would use it for that?

Collapse -
its simple
by masterying01 / December 20, 2005 4:57 PM PST

the 321 system is good....if you're really really lazy, looking for a very very very simple unit to hook up, dont care about good sound, shop by name and not quality, does not need a good dvd player, have a small room with 4 walls for the sound to bounce off of, never heard a GOOD sound system, and loves to overpay for stuff.

if u answered no to any of that, then there are MUCH better stuff out there.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Great,,, had me ROTF!!!
by jcrobso / December 22, 2005 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: its simple
Collapse -
ha
by asadnyc / April 8, 2007 4:03 PM PDT

He missed the fact that house wives love Bose. So if you don't have a gold diggin wife that wants to show off the new $4,000 cardboard and foam tiny surround system to all her friends then you might want to look at something other then Buy Other Stereo Equipment.

Collapse -
BOSE.......Great Products, but BEWARE 3.2.1. ISN'T one.
by Riverledge / December 22, 2005 11:38 AM PST

I have Bose 701-IV series floorstanding speakers as part of my HT. Fantastic.

Bose Companion 3's for my PC. Super.

Unfortunately, however, I've read nothing but negative reviews about THIS particular Bose product; including C-NET. Consider one of their other systems.

Collapse -
There are great systems for sale........but why not........?
by Riverledge / December 22, 2005 4:30 PM PST

Maybe without to much trouble you build something of your own. Drop a note.

Collapse -
Bose Products
by bosquito / January 22, 2007 11:02 AM PST

I also own Bose 701 speakers and I love them. However I have heard the cube speakers and probably would not buy them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.