TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

BOSE 321 System?

by sprinter2387 / April 4, 2007 8:57 AM PDT

I'm looking to buy a Bose 321 Virtual surround sound system as a birthday gift to my father. Has anyone heard any news/rumors about when/if they're going to update that system? I know that the current gen is almost 2 years old now... Should I wait 2 months or just buy it now?

Also, what other virtual surround sound systems might you recommend?

PS although I am new here, I am aware that there are some rabid Bose haters who frequent this forum. so PLEASE, dont do that on this thread. If you dont like the Bose 321 because of a concrete reason (the bass response is weak or whatever), do tell. But dont just tell me that Bose is evil and overhyped and whatever. trust me, ive heard the whole spiel before. thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BOSE 321 System?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BOSE 321 System?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bose 321
by Dan Filice / April 4, 2007 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: BOSE 321 System?

I neither love or hate Bose. It just seems to be expensive. I do love the fact that they are one of the sponsors of DiscoveryHD. Someone needs to support HD. Anyways, I'm familiar with the idea of "virtual" surround, where two speakers are used, and in the case of the Bose 321 a sub-woofer. On my Yamaha receiver, when I plug in headphones, I get a virtual surround effect in the headphones. I'll be darned if I can figure out how they simulate sound coming from different directions, but they do. I'm assuming the Bose does something similar, with a slight delay of certain audio frequencies. Personally, I believe this 321 system is directed at the person who has only heard audio from one TV speaker, and in this case it will blow their socks off. For the audiophile, a true surround system would be preferred. The tradeoff is that a true surround system requires three add'l speakers and speaker wires. My dad would be the ideal candiate for the Bose 321 system. A regular surround system would confuse him. He would get lost with all the options and buttons to push. He's a "push one button and leave it" type of person.

Collapse -
Mr Sprint more on Bose
by stewart norrie / April 4, 2007 1:18 PM PDT

If you want to hear Bose bashing you have come to the rite place ha ha. But fact is, half the money you pay for them goes into there advertizing blitizes. how maney adds on t.v do you see about Bose , lots wave radios and headphones I also took a cube speaker apart talk about a junk speaker they didn" even bother to solder the wires to the speaker just wrapped around a terminal could fall off anytime this is my opinion only yes I have never heard them and and never will good luck stewe

Collapse -
by jonnybones / April 4, 2007 4:02 PM PDT

The Bose rep came about 2 months ago and told me that they are going to be updating the Lifestyle II and 321 GS II series this year sometime. They have fallen by the wayside, but they plan on comming out with new models that will have upconverting DVD players installed, and MAYBE a possibility for a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player, although that is not confirmed yet.

What happened is that right as they were about to release their new models, Dolby changed their codecs, so rather than put out what they had and have to upgrade it in the near future so they could be using the latest codecs, they opted to hold off on the release and get them all programmed with the new codecs. I am looking forward to the new lines mostly since I am tired of looking at the old ones.

Collapse -
thanks for the heads up
by sprinter2387 / April 4, 2007 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: .

hmm awesome, thats exactly what i was wondering. two years is a long time for them not to be working on a newer model. do you know about when they're gonna come out? thanks.

ps to those who are against the bose system, do you have any suggestions for a nice two speaker virtual surround HTIB in the $500 to $1000 range? (It has to be 2 speaker because my parents are not the most technically inclined people) How does the sony one sound?

Collapse -
by jonnybones / April 5, 2007 12:26 AM PDT

no, sorry, no timetable. The bose dude didn't have a date or even month yet and I have not talked to him in a couple of months. I would guess by at least june, though i have no factual knowledge to back that up with.

The Sony Dream System is not bad although the highs are not as clear as either the bose system or the denon 2.1 system (which puts out about as much volume as I do when I talk to someone). The Sony does have a 720p dvd upconverter though which neither of the others have yet.

Collapse -
I would never buy a Bose
by savagesteve13 / April 4, 2007 8:34 PM PDT

I've owned 3 different Bose systems and have come to the conclusion that Bose is a marketing company pretending to be a Hi-Fi Audio company.
My Bose 901's are horrible sounding, my wave radio doesn't really sound much better than a clock radio, and my Bose home theatre sounds boomy and harsh.
Luckily I got all of them used, otherwise I would be out thousands of dollars.

You can get better sound from any home theatre system, even the cheapies that Radio Shack sells.

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / April 5, 2007 3:58 AM PDT

You stated that your 901 soned terrible no I think Bose are a rip off and that most of the money you pay for them goes into there adds But 35 Years ago I heard those 901s on display and they had an awsome 2 channel soundfield as good as headphones But If I remember you had to drive them with a special Bose e.Q. amp otherwise they would not sound rite do you have the bose amp? If you dont it would be interesting to hear them with the matching amp why not try and find one mabey thru e-bay if you could find one super cheap you may have A jewel of a 2 channel speaker system good day stewee

Collapse -
Take a look at KEF
by dfarmers / April 5, 2007 5:38 AM PDT

If you want to look at other 2.1 HTIB systems take a look at the KEF Instant DVD Theatre. KEF is a very good speaker company and the reviews I have read have been good and I have heard the sound and I liked it. There is even a review here on CNet. Most of all if you have a local audio store that carries various 2 speaker systems, go listen. Audio, more than anything, is about personal taste. Yes, there are all kinds of system bashers out there but it really is up to you and the sound that you like. So whatever you do choose, listen to it first. Don't just buy any audio equipment based on a review, a television commercial or someone else's recommendation, buy based or your own taste or the taste your parents will like.

Collapse -
When I was considering the 901s, the demo simply had a high
by NM_Bill / April 5, 2007 7:36 AM PDT

power non-Bose amp. Maybe that was to rig the demo. The direct-reflecting set up had loads of ambiance due to the majority but smaller speakers being rear firing for some time delay. However in A-B comparisons with a couple other brands, both the others sounded better in my opinon. Actually most of the disadvantage could be overcome by having ample reserve power because the 901s were not highly efficient at all. (orignal model, that is - they've been tweaked considerably over the years.

Story is, I picked top of the line, at that time, Polks over the Bose. Eventually I became dissatisfied with the Polks. Then got Missions for a much more transparent & open sound field (& they were less dough than the Polks.)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.