Computer Help

General discussion

Boots up then locks up

by ryhed / June 3, 2004 12:14 AM PDT

Getting an error code says windows performed an illegal operation when windows 98 loads on my emachine 633is. I think it is out of memeory. How can I get it running? I don't have any disks it was and hand me down computer.

Ryan

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boots up then locks up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boots up then locks up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Boots up then locks up (an no 98 CD or any other CD to fix it)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Boots up then locks up

Frankly, you need to get a spare tire for that car too.

This isn't going to go far.

If you didn't understand the analogy, it's this. Without a Windows 98 CD or the CDs that came with the system, repair is uncertain and most likely impossible.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Boots up then locks up
by Cursorcowboy / June 3, 2004 2:00 AM PDT

1. Getting an error code says windows performed an illegal operation when windows 98 loads on my emachine 633is.

a. Since we cannot see a members computer from here to ascertain what exactly is or has been installed, we must rely on the question content to attempt a qualifying response. Many unclear or questions void of useful information may get skipped.

b. In order for us to analyze a potential problem and offer tips, a question should state the exact system error(s) - spelled, spaced and capitalized just as it is shown on the display -- used to inform a user of a problem.

2. I think it is out of memeory.

Give reason for your assumption?

3. How can I get it running?

I agree fully with what Bob mentioned. However, if you boot the system while holding down a Ctrl key until you see the Windows Desktop -- little if anything should be showing in the Tasktray --, what happens?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Boots up then locks up
by ryhed / June 3, 2004 11:20 PM PDT

Error codes:

A fatal exception has occured at 0D 0028:C29AEDAA or these codes at 06 0000:00000000
06 0028:C169E034

Collapse -
''Fatal Exception 0d Error Messages''
by Cursorcowboy / June 4, 2004 2:28 AM PDT

1. To get a basic understanding of why is it unimportant to report or to understand the Registers, Stackdump, and Memory Segment listed on the monitor when an error is rendered or recorded in the Faultlog.txt file, please read the section titled "Low Memory Below 1 Megabyte (MB)", in the article titled, "Troubleshooting Insufficient Memory Errors". The gist is, It's always changing and won't necessarily be the same location in memory. So, it is really unimportant to know, ask about, and saves on pasting it into a question somewhere.

2. Please refer to this TechNet article and the title "Using Automatic Skip Driver Agent."

3. Please read the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, subject "Definition of Fatal Exception 0d Error Messages."

Collapse -
Re:Boots up then locks up
by Kees Bakker / June 3, 2004 7:43 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.