Mac Hardware

Question

Booting iMac from Firewire

by blocktek / December 9, 2012 2:00 AM PST

I'm really frustrated here:

I'm using a mid-2007 20" iMac. I've always backed up using SuperDuper to clone to a Firewire hard drive. I seem to recall that for the first few years, I had no trouble booting from those backups. At the time, only the most recent machines could boot from USB.
I replaced my Seagate backup drive with a Western Digital drive a few years ago. That drive wouldn't boot via Firewire. It would only boot via USB - a limitation confirmed by WD.
Recently, I upgraded that drive to an OWC Mercury Elite. I'm having exactly the same problem. I pulled a Seagate FreeAgent drive out of mothballs and cloned to it, and though it won't boot fully either, it gets to the Apple logo before being rejected.
Am i mis-remembering booting this machine from Firewire? Is this just a limitation of newer drives? Did I just happen to purchase two drives from different manufacturers with hobbled Firewire?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Booting iMac from Firewire
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Booting iMac from Firewire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going for the latter.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 4:16 AM PST

I have a mixture of USB and FIrewire external drives and none of them have a problem booting.

Certainly your iMac will boot from Firewire or USB without a problem and this has been the case with Macs powered by the Intel processor since the first one.
All Macs have been able to boot from FIrewire since its introduction may years ago but USB booting will only work with Intel powered Macs.

Both Seagate and WD drives, at least all the ones that I have owned have been capable of Firewire booting and USB with the correct machine.
A couple of my drives were doing duty attached to a PPC mac and are now in USB enclosures and booting as expected.

Without teaching you to suck eggs, how do you have the jumpers set on the two drives?

P

Collapse -
External drives
by blocktek / December 9, 2012 6:37 AM PST

All three drives (a Seagate FreeAgent 1gb, Western Digital MyBook 2tb, and OWC Mercury Elite 3tb) are external drives. I'd have to open the enclosures (and void warranties) to check on jumpers.
I know that WD claims their drive won't boot via Firewire. The booklet that came with my OWC says this model of iMac is incapable of booting from Firewire (!). Not sure why the Seagate won't boot.

Collapse -
Seagate working now
by blocktek / December 9, 2012 7:38 AM PST

Okay - after running a mostly symbolic check of the drive with Disk Utility, and resetting the PMU (unplugging all peripherals and power for 10 minutes) - the iMac will boot once again from the Seagate FreeAgent 1tb drive. So I guess you're right - it was the latter. Both the WD and OWC drives must not support Firewire booting on this particular machine. Bummer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.