Computer Help forum

General discussion

boot up into black screen

by toyotaman / May 24, 2005 1:02 PM PDT

i boot up my computer and just before the xp logo is suppose to come on and show that its loading it goes to a black screen and just sits there.

processor: Amd athlon Xp 3000+ with 33 mhz front side bus.
ram: 256mb
power supply: 400W output

thanks for the help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: boot up into black screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: boot up into black screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Black Screen
by Stan Chambers / May 24, 2005 2:00 PM PDT

Corrupted drivers that do not load properly may prevent the machine booting. Video & sound drivers are most often at fault. Incompatible or incorrect drivers can also show the same symptoms. If you're sure that you have the correct drivers for your hardware, try uninstalling then reinstalling, until it works.
This recently happened to my computer after a clean install of XP. The C-media audio driver would not install correctly for some unknown reason. Only after numerous attempts in safe mode was I able to install the driver successfully.
Although the mfg. may claim compatibility with windows, some can be tough to install.

Best of Luck

Collapse -
boot up in safe mode
by toyotaman / May 24, 2005 10:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Black Screen

ill try booting up into safe mode and check my drivers. and maybe reinstall xp.

Collapse -
boot up in safe mode
by toyotaman / May 25, 2005 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: boot up in safe mode

i tried to boot up in safe mode but it doesnt let me a list of files comes up (about 5) then it just stays there. any suggestions?

Collapse -
PLEASE tell us a lot more about the
by Ray Harinec / May 25, 2005 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: boot up in safe mode

list of files.

Collapse -
by toyotaman / May 25, 2005 6:28 AM PDT

ummm i cant get it to show them now it wont let me choose to start in safe mode any more. any suggestions to get the files?

Collapse -
Just a WAG, but
by Ray Harinec / May 25, 2005 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: files

it sounds as if you have a hardware failure and you are failing the DMI test. The failure is not one of the basic such as memory, CPU, video, but some other devices. Try unplugging the floppy, the hard drive [both their power and signal cables], sound cards, modem et al, LAN card, or whatever.

Then what happens at a normal boot???

Collapse -
disk failure
by toyotaman / May 25, 2005 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a WAG, but

it says there is a diskfailure if i unplug the drives

Collapse -
It should, but you still have video, correct????
by Ray Harinec / May 25, 2005 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: disk failure

Black screen was the problem until now.

Can you get into the BIOS?? If so set the boot order to A then C, use a boot floppy and see if you can get to the A prompt. If so add the CD drive [power off between actions]. Then when the boot floppy asks if you want CD support click yes. When it gets to the A prompt, type the letter of the CD drive [with a Win 98 boot floppy, and no hard drive] it will be D, if a downloaded boot disk it could be R, followed by a colon, hit enter. If you get the new prompt letter, insert any CD with data on it. At the CD's letter prompt type DIR /P and hit enter. Can you see the list of files on the CD??. If yes. Recoonect the hard drive [it will become C and if you use the boot floppy the CD drive may become E.

If you get to this point let us know.

Collapse -
by toyotaman / May 26, 2005 7:03 AM PDT

sorry but can you put it a little simpiler form im kinda confused and my floppy doesnt work thanks

Collapse -
I am replying over here
by Ray Harinec / May 26, 2005 7:27 AM PDT

to move the thread to the left margin.

OK. I had speculated that you had a hardware failure that was preventing your Operating System from starting. Was trying to eliminate which item was failing by removing [disconnecting] most of them. Then I intended to put them back in one at a time. HOWEVER, one must totally remove power before making each change. Your system will ALWAYS have a 5 volt logic power on it anytime the power supply is plugged into a live outlet [and the switch on the rear of the supply is ON]. The system DOES NOT have to be ON]

Probably, the only way to do this is one step at a time, after getting the system stripped down.

Thus I asked you to disconnect both the power and signal [ribbon cables] from all drives, remove all cards, except the video. You could tell me what type and how many drives you have.

I think that the first question I asked should have been if this is a proprietary make computer, ie Compaq, Dell, HP, Gateway. Guess I better get that answered first. If it is, then you should try to boot up from the CD drive using the restore disk before disconnecting things. If you have a restore Cd, simply reconnect things, and try the restore CD first.

Let me know your status and we can reconvene. You can email me through my profile if necessary. I'll be around all day today and tomorrow.

Sorry that I didn't exhaust the restore CD issue first. [that might have taken care of the driver issues that Stan Chambers suggested].

Also answer this; when you tried to get to safe mode and got a list of files, bt any chance, was that the menu of possible options for booting??? Or was it a list of files that might be missing???

Also was the screen ttoally black or was there the small cursor sitting up in the corner blinking???

Collapse -
not a proprietary make computer
by toyotaman / May 26, 2005 8:48 AM PDT

it is not a proprietary make computer. so i do not have a restore cd. im not to sure about those files that came up, but when i booted up in safe mode another time all those files came up and even more and it continued on to running in safe mode. the screen was black and no cursor sitting in the corner, however it wasnt as black as it would be if the monitor was off.

Collapse -
But you do have the XP CD, correct???
by Ray Harinec / May 26, 2005 9:00 AM PDT

Somewhere along here while you had all drives et al connected, did you try to boot up to the XP CD???

It'll take a little while for me to figure out where we are. Probably because I had you disconnect some things before I had a good baseline on where you were.

Slight digression, you say "but when i booted up in safe mode another time all those files came up and even more and it continued on to running in safe mode." With nothing on the screen, how would you know that it was in safe mode???

When you answer these, we will establish a troubleshooting procedure.

Collapse -
safe mode
by toyotaman / May 26, 2005 9:41 AM PDT

i started it up in safe mode back in the day when the computer worked and thats what happened. i tried to boot up off the xp cd and it said that there was no cd found.

Collapse -
by toyotaman / May 26, 2005 8:56 AM PDT

how would i email you your email address isnt in your profile

Collapse -
The idea in the profile email is that CNET
by Ray Harinec / May 26, 2005 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: email?

will send it to me without giving my email to you or your email to me. They just forward the message as from a friend in the CNET forums.

If you go back and edit your profile I'll send my email address to you via the profile.

Or you can simply use the profile method to email your address to me.

Or we can use the profile email back and forth without ever knowing each other's email address.

For the purposes of the forum, where the idea is for everyone to be able to help or learn from the forum, if we use email, I would still post in the forum to keep everyone informed if there is progress or a solution.

Collapse -
by toyotaman / May 26, 2005 12:15 PM PDT

my profile is edited and you should be able to e-mail me but there is no "email this member" button on your profile

Collapse -
Sorry, I had 8 times per month limit.
by Ray Harinec / May 26, 2005 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: email

Must have exceeded that, so I increased it and emailed my email addressed to you.

Collapse -
by toyotaman / May 26, 2005 10:25 PM PDT

ok thanks

Collapse -
boot up on xp cd
by toyotaman / May 27, 2005 8:57 AM PDT

i can boot up on xp now for some reason but i go to format and it says at the bottom "setup is loading files (HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller)..." and it stops when that file is suppose to load. What do i have to do to get pass this point?

Collapse -
You never told me the configuration
by Ray Harinec / May 27, 2005 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: boot up on xp cd

of your system. Apparently Win XP needs your mobo driver for the RAID controller. Are you using a RAID array, or a SATA drive??? Do you have the RAID derivers enabled in your BIOS when they should be disabled.

It's tough to work when no explanation is supplied but you then jump to a new observation. Step by step is just that.

How did XP get put on your drive in the first place???

I really don't want to have to go back and re-read the earlier posts.

Tell us the set up and what the first thing that happens when you put the XP CD in.

Collapse -
by toyotaman / May 27, 2005 10:03 AM PDT

im not to sure about the drive and there is nothing in the bios to disable it. xp got put on my computer by me. when i put the xp cd in and it goes to a windows setup screen and it stops because it cant load that file.

i said this new observation before i read the email you sent me sorry haha

Collapse -
I'm unsure of the original installation history.
by Ray Harinec / May 27, 2005 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: drive

But, somewhere or at some time you had to install the mobo drivers.

There must be something in the BIOS regarding the RAID controller. In a lot of mobos, the SATA controllers are part of the RAID controller. Are you using a SATA drive.

Can you tell me what the mobo model is?? I'll look at its manual to see what I can figure out.

Maybe you need to download Belarc, run it from a floppy and get a list of everything in your computer, for now and future use. Here's a link to a few such tools.

Collapse -
by toyotaman / June 1, 2005 10:37 PM PDT

the mobo is K7SEM and its made by elitegroup

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2005 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: motherboard

Just a wake up call. Is that the "complete" installation history?

You can do better.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.