PC Hardware forum

General discussion

boot problem (inacessable boot device)

by brewdog / May 19, 2005 3:22 AM PDT

I've searched the forums and found problems similar to mine but no solutions for my particular problem.

I am attempting to build a computer with a Pcchips M811LU motherboard and a Duron 1.8 G processor. I realize now that this motherboard doesn't have a good track record but at the time I purchased it it looked like an affordable way for a long overdue upgrade.

I am attempting to boot from a Samsung Trigem SV10220/TGE hard drive with Windows 2000 Pro already installed. This drive boots and works fine on the computer I'm presently using. When I try to boot it on the new system it looks like it is going to boot normally. I get a black screen saying Windows 2000 is starting and the progress bar fills up. Then it goes to the Windows 2000 splash screen with a progress bar that fills about 1/3 of the way before going to a blue screen with an error message......stop 0x0000007B (0xED41B84C,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000) inacessable_boot_device.

I'm not a technician. This is my first attempt at building a computer. There is a great deal I don't understand about them. Why will this hard drive not boot when it is being detected and read from by the motherboard?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: boot problem (inacessable boot device)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: boot problem (inacessable boot device)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 3:27 AM PDT

Windows NT, 2000, XP and 2003 do not take to moving to other hardware.

Fix? Install the OS again.

Warning! If you intend on using that hard disk, do not move it to another machine as a drive geometry issue could cause its contents to vanish.

Collapse -
by brewdog / May 19, 2005 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: That's proper.

Thank you very much for the fast reply.

I installed another drive with Windows 98 on it. It woke up and was very confused by the new environment it found itself in but it does run.

Thanks also for the advice about installing the W2K drive in a different system. I do want to keep the contents of that drive intact for the time being so will not try again to move it to another machine.

Collapse -
Those DOS based OSes often can fix themselves up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

As you discovered.

Sometimes I wonder if this is progress...

Collapse -
need a little more clarification...help!
by wmadams / May 29, 2005 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: That's proper.

Bob -

Your warning has me worried...

"Warning! If you intend on using that hard disk, do not move it to another machine as a drive geometry issue could cause its contents to vanish."

I am attempting to move a Win2K drive into a new system (it will be the only hard drive) and I want to keep the data that is on that Win2K drive. So, if I reload the OS on the Win2K drive, are you saying that I could lose the data? If so, there is really no way of moving the Win2K drive over to any new system without losing the data?

Thanks for any help on this one!!!

Collapse -
The move is done all the time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2005 11:56 PM PDT

It is the rare issue that some will lose it. Besides this is a non-issue since everyone keeps a backup of what we can't lose on our backups.

I can't write "move the drive" and tell anyone their data will stay due to this issue. 99 will work (the OS will still not boot) and 1 will lose all the hard disk content. Of the 99, 50 to 90 will successfully repair the OS and the remainder will lose the drive contents due to negligance.

Collapse -
one additional question...maybe two
by wmadams / May 30, 2005 12:57 AM PDT

Bob -

Before I take the step off the edge of the cliff...

1) Would reinstalling the OS on my existing Win2k drive be the correct process that "should" allow me to get to the current data on the drive or
2) Would grabbing another hard drive, loading it with Win2K and then access the old Win2K drive to get to my data be a better solution or
3) Other thoughts?

Backups...yes, have those but still hate to reenter a month or so of data:-(

I am sorry to be bothering you on Memorial Day...what a time to try to do this!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.