Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

PC Hardware

General discussion

Boot Problem

by arkyduck / November 1, 2012 12:08 AM PDT

I have an HP desktop that was running Windows Vista that is 3 years old. It has 4 gigs of ram and a Asus A8MN2N-LA motherboard. The past year it has a problem of not booting up after setting overnight. Sometimes I receive a warning that "hard drive failure is imminent" and sometimes it says it can't find the drive. During the day I can do a restart and it boots OK. I bought a new SATA Hard drive form Western Digital and the installation went without a hitch. After about 3 months I had the same problem. I now have updated to Windows 7 Ultimate because I heard that Vista was "Buggy", but I have the same problem.. I have run all the hard drive tests that I know of and found nothing. Is there a test that will check the boot sector of the drive? I am beggining to think it's the motherboard now. So far, I have been able to boot with the windows repair disk if there is a problem. Sorry about the long post!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boot Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boot Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry but if Vista was buggy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Boot Problem

This issue would have been there at day one.

Let's check for the more common issues.

1. Did you try a new SATA drive cable?
2. Did you inspect all cards and power supplies for BAD CAPS? (see the web about that topic for pictures.)

Bob

Collapse -
Re- Boot problem
by arkyduck / November 1, 2012 1:57 AM PDT

The hard drive came with a new cable. I did not inspect the caps but I will. I've had issues with the Chinese caps in other devices!

Collapse -
Just replace the PSU
by Willy / November 1, 2012 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Re- Boot problem

After 3yrs. of use, the wear&tear on the PSU(power) may have gone downhill. Including any possible "bad caps" just having the same PSU after some time will on its own be a problem more for some and not others. I would replace the PSU with a better rated wattage and buy quality brands. Just be sure it can be used in the HP, as some HPs are physically sized different from generic PSUs, but it may accept one. Having the PSU in hand and visiting the local shop could easily size one up. -OR- online website using your PSU measurements to find a replacement and/or reading the decal/sticker on PSU.

Of course, clean the desktop out of dust bunnies, use care.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Re Boot Problem
by arkyduck / November 9, 2012 1:22 AM PST

Well, I think I may have solved my boot problem by accident! I inspected for swollen caps and found none.Then I swapped sata cables and that did nothing. I then moved the sata cable to a different connector on the Mother board and that did it!! After several re-boots and shut down overnights, the problem appears to be solved!! I'm guessing there might be a bad solder joint or a bad sata socket. Whoopie, for now!! Thanks for all the input.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.