Computer Help forum

General discussion

Boot failure HDD light stays on

by Winney123 / February 17, 2009 8:27 PM PST

Hi Everyone, hope someone can help with this problem. I have a self built PC which has been running fine for about 2 years now. When I went to boot up this morning the hdd light stays on, all the fans (case, CPU, graphics card, and PSU) spin up. The power light on the front of the case does not come on but the small LED on the motherboard does.I get no output to the display or boot sequence at all!! Recently it has failed to shut down properly a few times (the power light and fans continue) but output to the display etc stop. Things I have tried; resetting the CMOS, changing the CMOS battery, unplugging the RAM and moved to different slots, unplugging graphics card (makes a continuous beep when I do that)!! Even tried unplugging the CD Rom, Floppy drive, hdd, graphics card and RAM but to no avail.Guess its one of these, PSU, Motherboard, CPU or RAM.
Asus A8N-32 Sli Deluxe motherboard.
AMD 4400 Dual Core CPU
Seasonic 600w power supply
Corsair CMX1024-3500LL Pro RAM 2 sticks
MSI NX8800 Ultra OC Graphics Card
OS Windows XP x 64
Hope someone can help me on this,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Boot failure HDD light stays on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Boot failure HDD light stays on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The beep test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2009 8:50 PM PST

I didn't read if the machine beeped at power up. Better than 99% do and yours doesn't.

Beep test.

Power supply.
Motherboard speaker.

Just 4 parts and if it doesn't beep then we are looking at what parts are likely faulty.

Collapse -
Beep test
by Winney123 / February 17, 2009 9:12 PM PST
In reply to: The beep test.

Thanks Bob for the quick reply,
As for the beep test, I just tried it, removed all cables, RAM etc, and tried it with just the 4 parts and it gives one continuous beep (very loud tone,neighbour waking loud!!) The tone stops if I plug in the graphics card though. Also forgot to mention my RAM has those little lights on top but they dont come on (didnt have in for the beep test though)My PC has never beeped when starting coincidentally even when it was working fine.

Collapse -
by Winney123 / February 17, 2009 9:18 PM PST
In reply to: Beep test

Forgot to ask, do I need to physically remove the graphics card from the PCI express slot on the motherboard or just all the power connectors?

Collapse -
Yes, the PCIE card must be unplugged.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2009 9:25 PM PST

Here's the BEEP test part 2.

If we are getting beeps, even if a long one that's a good sign that the motherboard and CPU might be ok. The speaker certain is good!

Now we add just one part. When the beeps stop, we power down and remove that part and put it on the suspect pile of parts.

This is where having some spare parts really pays off.

In closing, if you ever overtaxed the power supply then it becomes a factor.

Collapse -
by Winney123 / February 18, 2009 12:24 PM PST

Okay, will try connecting pieces one by one. Is there a good order to this? I know the beep stops if I connect the Graphics card and have a spare one lying around but not a spare PSU etc.

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2009 3:08 AM PST

I usually skip cards like audio, lan, wifi since I want to see a video display so I can see the BIOS, etc.

Collapse -
Getting somewhere
by Winney123 / February 19, 2009 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: Your choice.

Thanks Bob, went to get the PSU tested and found it was a dud. Plugged in and now have a power light front panel and plugged in RAM (sorry hadnt seen your post) and it is lighting up so hope when I install other cards it will be up and running again. Wish me luck, will let you know!!
PS Living in Tokyo makes stuff like this twice as hard!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.